By Hylia
#198089 I know I just suggested something recently, but this is another thing that's been on my mind. I'll admit-it's kind of an excuse to have more decorative blocks to work with, but I've also got some practical application of the feature in mind that could contribute to the mod.

So... yeah, honey trees. I'll be honest, the main reason I thought of this was an excuse to push for trees with pink leaves in Pixelmon. However, I also thought of some somewhat neat features that could make the idea more fleshed-out and contribute to the idea.

How it would work is this; there would be these trees that work like normal trees, except they have one unique little feature: They can attract rare-ish or unique Pokemon.

What you do is you slather honey on the tree, and then eventually the leaves would rustle a little and whatnot. This means a Pokemon's come to the tree and is snacking on the delicious honey. You send out your Pokemon at the tree and the battle starts. Pretty much how Sinnoh's honey trees work. Fairly simple, fairly basic, but I've thought out all the details for you.

My first neat little detail is a variety of these trees. Different types of the tree would spawn in different biomes, each with different formations and different texture for the leaves and logs. Here, lemme come up with some sample ideas for the trees for you. Names are thought up on the spot, don't judge me if they're bad puns or something.

Also, if you're thinking this will be a lot of work, you could just reuse the generation code of other trees, recolor some textures, and add some cheap(and non-laggy) animations and particle effects for the rustling leaves and whatnot.

Cherry Blossom Tree
Formation: I dunno.. birch-like.
Leave Color: Pink.
Types of Pokemon: *Shrug* Cherubi Sunlight form? That kinda thing?
Biomes: Flower Forest(Very Common), Birch Forest(Common/Uncommon), Forest(Very Common/Common), etc.

Japanese Maple
Formation: I guess... slightly like Acai? Maybe a little more arching upwards and outwards, you might need to make a gen for this one yourself.
Leave Color: Red, of course.
Types of Pokemon: I feel like Heracross would easily be the type of Pokemon to show up here, along with other Pokemon that like Maple.
Biomes: Forest(Uncommon), Flower Forest(Common?), Mesa(Common?), Mushroom Island(Very Rare? Idk), Plains(Very Uncommon), River(Uncommon/Rare?), Extreme Hills(Uncommon),

White Cherry Blossom Tree
Formation: Idk, probably similar to normal cherry blossoms.
Leave Color: White
Types of Pokemon: Probably pretty much the same as the pink cherry blossoms, but different rarities. I imagine the types of Pokemon you could find in these trees would kind of seem to parallel each other.
Biomes: Flower Forest(Very Common), Birch Forest(Very Common/Common), Forest(Common/Uncommon), etc...

...It's been, like, a week and I haven't gotten back to finishing this idea. I guess I should post what I've got so far for now, and see what you guys think of it. I'll probably be posting a more fleshed out version later, but I want to get at least this posted, just in case. Besides, some feedback on what I've got so far could be useful, I'm sure some of you will have some great ideas on how to improve this! For example, maybe some of you have ideas for a neat way for the honey to work? I was thinking you'd just click the log or something and wait for a rustle, but if someone has a more creative and exciting idea, I'd be glad to hear it! :D

By Hylia
#198090 I just realized how contradictory the beginning and end of this post seem. Allow me to elaborate. I had been thinking about this idea every now and then for a while, and eventually, I decided to make a post about it. If I recall correctly, I had to go do something else before I was finished it. Either that or I suddenly got the suggestion equivalent of writer's block. Anyway, I saved what I had in an email to myself and went back to it later. Then I started feeling uninspired, and while I really wanted to finish the suggestion and knew that I could make it a fleshed-out and creative idea, I couldn't really think of anything at the time. I sent the updated draft in a reply to myself. A week later, I still haven't gotten back to it, and am struggling to finish it, so I decided to at least post what I have here and hopefully, I might get some useful feedback that could provide inspiration and ideas for how to finish and improve this concept. If not, maybe I'd get back to it on my own and finish it later. If I failed to do even that, at least what I had so far is out there for the devs to see or for someone else to use for inspiration.
By MrVioletRose
#198092 I like this idea. If I could add a suggestion to it I would make it so that this were the only way to catch certain bug Pokemon (ex. Heracross). It could be an interesting way to make finding certain Pokemon slightly more difficult.
By MrVioletRose
MrMasochism wrote:What I would say is that if we were to add something like this it'd be unlikely that we'd add more trees for it, we'd probably just use the existing minecraft trees

Do you think it would then be possible to have an add on like spawn of psyduck allow us to make other trees for other mods attract pokemon? (ex. BiomesOplenty)
By SViper
#198097 I like idea to add Honey Trees method for find and capture Pokémon like it was in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum games. But adding more trees not much for now, but maybe in future when all first 6th Generation Pokémon make into game and have normal models (but I feel by that time we have 8th Generation released, so then Pixelmon team will be doing mod updating to 7th Generation mechanics).
By Rasgnarok
#198140 If they are to be added to existing Minecraft trees, then I'd say you can explore the idea of mixing leaves/honey blocks in the tree, so some Minecraft trees are generated with those - of a rarity lower than the leafstone ores currently.
By Hylia
#198142 Eww, no. All you guys have done is deconstruct the idea. I was hoping to add more diversity to the environment in Pixelmon. And yellow honey blocks in green leaves? That would look terrible. I'm an artist(if taking lots of art electives while in high school and just liking art, in general, makes me an artist), so I know this. Sorry for being so negative, but I really just... don't like that idea. It feels lazy. Can't you just do some retextures/recolors of already-existing trees for honey trees? It wouldn't be hard and would really contribute to the Pixelmon experience.

Having said that... doing something with normal trees and this mechanic sounds like an interesting idea. In that, you might be onto something, if you execute it right. Perhaps normal trees can occasionally rustle, and more common Pokemon can be found in them? Well, that's pretty much the most straightforward use of regular trees in this mechanic. I bet we can do better than that. Hmm... Urgh! I feel like a creative way to use normal trees is on the tip of my tongue but it just won't come to me! Oh well, I'm sure I will think of such a thing eventually, or that someone else will.

But yeah, if this idea is implemented, you should take the extra step of making unique trees for this feature. Maybe some more generic Pokemon could be found through the normal trees if you use honey or something like that, but if you do decide to use this idea, please take the extra step and add the trees. It would be such an improvement over not doing so for what I highly doubt needs to be much effort, at least not for the Cherry Blossom trees. You'd just retexture birch/oak. And then you would always be able to go back and add to it later. Please don't just stop at adding the mechanic to normal trees. Please add new types of trees for this.

-Hylia
By Rasgnarok
#198145 You want to deconstruct the idea first - because adding new generation of trees is not the simplest matter. Would require new textures, new generation code, and that's simply to add new trees in. Adding onto that, is the addition of new spawning mechanics geared towards the honey pots, and lastly, how would players be able to interact with these without making them far too OP.

A lot to deconstruct really.

Besides, no one ever said that you could not make it look far better. But remember, not here to start redoing trees simply because it can be done. There has to be a purpose to adding, without any other option, a new type of tree with its own sapling/textures/gen.
By MrVioletRose
#198148 If I were to describe how I think it would work I'd think that the honey would need to degrade over time and eventually need to be replaced. And over the time the honey is placed on the tree it will raise the chance of bug and possibly some of the rodent Pokemon spawning near them.
JOIN THE TEAM