Discussion on any aspect of competitive Pixelmon.
By WobbuffetWynaut
#194982 Mergical Gaming is the only competitive server. Why aren't there a lot of other servers that are like that? Do people just not like competitive battling? Or they don't like those servers?
By AnDwHaT5
#195011 How precisely do you label a competitive server? By their community or the information, resources they offer? I want to see if I can recommend one.
By 10w
#195060 Why don't you try to make primal competitive? Also its very hard to label a server as "competitive server" because there can servers that are not labeled competitive yet, competitive players join it, I'm pretty sure almost every server has atleast one competitive player.
By WobbuffetWynaut
10w wrote:Why don't you try to make primal competitive?.

I don't know
By Solar1808
#195075 I'm helping run a server known as Aria of Aegis that is aiming to be one of the top competitive servers, with player-run competitive gyms, player E4 and champion competition with regular tournaments and stuff. We're in beta right now which means we're focusing on finishing the towns before the E4 and official tournaments are open, but we've got a good playerbase helping us get there.

We're also adventure, which means you can't build but you can buy prebuilt houses in towns. We have a forum thread over in the server listing if you want to give us a try. x)
By Kivogtar
#196098 Hi there, I play on Mergical Gaming, the one you named.
I'm not staff there, but I help out with some things here and there.

There are a few things that set us apart from other servers as "Competitive." I can tell you I searched for weeks going from one server to the next looking for something like this one. I think the game is hard to balance for competitive on other servers, and I'll explain why that is.

There are rare candies in the in-game shop. Every server seems to want to sell them for donations, and this causes a big imbalance for a competitive scene. Everyone has the ability to compete at the same level by just playing the game. That's not to say you shouldn't donate, but the people I know who donate over there do it because we like the server. If you go mining and get a bunch of coal, you can sell it and buy rare candies, TMs, held items, EV training kits, the whole thing. This leads to a strange economy that you might call "OP."

There are tournaments every week. I see other servers say this, and there's nothing wrong with planning a tournament. The difference is that we have a crowd of people with the required Pokemon to compete. It's not hard to qualify to play. Most tournaments are in OU 50-cap, so you won't waste your money buying only rare candies(although it would not be difficult to get a 100 team). The only time I have ever seen us not have enough players to hold it(8), is during the 5 year Mergic Rumble when we had a tournament pretty much every day. People got burnt out and some waited until the main event.

So to answer your question about whether people just don't like competitive battling, my opinion is that if it was more available and servers made it easier to compete, there would be more access, and more players. A lot of people enjoy it. It all starts with giving people a means to getting a competitive team without having to donate or spend 80 hours on a single Pokemon.

Also, I think that there aren't many servers as competitive because everybody wants to make rare candies a donator item, and that's counter productive for a server that wants to hold competitive tournaments regularly.

As I said I'm not staff there, and I hope Leone doesn't mind me posting this. I don't think this is a trade secret or anything because if you log in you will see rare candies in the shop. I just wanted to help you out. Call me crazy, but I think having more competitive servers would benefit us. Some friendly competition between servers would promote our growth and make us strive to be better.
By Existanciel
#196256 I'd like to know your reason on why rare candies are OP @Kivogtar

Whilst rare candies are a way of getting level 100 fast, it doesn't necessarily mean that they're OP. Sure it cuts down time, and some servers sell them as a donator item as well as in game shops to keep their servers up, but being level 100 doesn't guarantee you winning anything when it comes to competitive. A level 100 team of random pokemon won't defeat a well composed level 100 team with a good player at it's lead. Level 100 won't give you the strategies all of a sudden to start being the best on a server which takes competitive seriously.

Last of all you don't need to spend 80 hours to get a pokemon to level 100. As long as rare candies are reasonably obtainable for everyone they shouldn't be a problem in my opinion.
By CritsAreFair
#196307 I feel like a large part of the reason you don't see a lot of dedicated competitive servers is the ridiculous way breeding is implemented by default in Pixelmon. Since simply breeding + hatching a single egg can take the better part of an hour under optimal conditions (which isn't usually feasible for some types such as Dragon, due to the rarity of the materials required for their breeding environment), and breeding a competitive Pokemon can take dozens of eggs, it can take weeks to breed a competitive team. Some servers remedy this by allowing access to /breed (usually with a cooldown of 5-15 minutes), but many relegate that to donation rewards (which I understand, but it can be quite frustrating for competitive players).

I honestly think the default times for breeding need to be completely reworked. In the 6th gen games, you can breed and hatch a full party of eggs in less than 10 minutes. In Pixelmon, that takes nearly an hour in the best circumstances, several in the worst.
By Skipkan
#196324 Hi, i do not really understand the thing about rare candies. Why does it matter, if they are in a server shop or not? I play on a server which does not have them in a server shop, and the only way of optaining them is by crafting them (or from bosses). I do not know how exactly cheap should they be to replace the main way of levelling pokémon up = repeatedly beating a Blissey. Five or six pokémon from level 1 to 100 in one or two hours.

And I agree: breeding a pokémon should be easier, it takes weeks to breed a pokémon, especially those with 100% or 87,5% males..
By Kivogtar
#196331 @Skipkan
Having easily accessible rare candies does not affect normal gameplay, but when you start to move toward a competitive scene it is just one part of the process that can be made shorter. Having them in the server's in-game shop allow for teams to be made faster. We also have power items and such. It is all about the time it takes to make a battle ready team. An EV training area also helps. Anything that is done to cut the time required to have a ready team helps. Having them in our shop is just how we make them easily available. Anyone can mine cobblestone and sell it.
If you feel your server has them easily accessible, then you found a good server. Congrats!

@Existanciel
I can tell from the first line of your post that you did not understand my position on rare candies. They are not OP in themselves. I was speaking of them as far as the server economy is concerned, in addition to TMs, held items, and EV training kits. I used the term "OP" as a comparison also. It is overpowered compared to many other servers I have been on. Especially those where you need to donate for rare candies.
They are treated exclusivly as a donator item on many servers, and I was talking about how that leads to a non-competitive environment.
I don't think you even read my post. Please refrain from skewing the information I stated any further. You say that having a level 100 team doesn't mean you win, and I have already addressed this more than once in the post I made.

Also, I think that there aren't many servers as competitive because everybody wants to make rare candies a donator item, and that's counter productive for a server that wants to hold competitive tournaments regularly.

A lot of people enjoy it. It all starts with giving people a means to getting a competitive team without having to donate or spend 80 hours on a single Pokemon.

Most tournaments are in OU 50-cap, so you won't waste your money buying only rare candies(although it would not be difficult to get a 100 team)

There are rare candies in the in-game shop. Every server seems to want to sell them for donations, and this causes a big imbalance for a competitive scene.

@CritsAreFair
Getting a max IV Pokemon is not easy. I agree that the problem there lies in breeding. I think that this problem should be solved on a server to server basis though. If you start making changes like that to the pixelmon mod you begin messing with servers that don't play competitively. That's where I stand on it anyway. As far as doing it on a server, it would probably be easiest to do it with a sponge plugin. Add a way to max a single IV at a time. Possibly even use NPC gym badges or something like that. There are several possible fixes for that, I just don't think a craftable item in the pixelmon mod would be very lore friendly.