Exciting new information regarding Pixelmon!
By orbatos
#201664 First of all, distribution of this mod is not illegal. Secondly, this mod is composed of original art, so the Pokemon company and Nintendo have no legal ground to file a DMCA or other copyright related request.

The mod owners are within their rights to request an explanation, and it would be appropriate to change the names of characters that overlap if it is requested, but nothing more. Even if the above were not true, the design and work that have gone in to this mod and community have been estabilshed for a length of time such that a clear argument could be made they were infringing, or that the copyright no loger applies to derivatives in this genre.

There is no reason to shut down over this (probably automated) mass request intended to squash competition for games that are likely no competition for Pixelmon at all, and barely the same genre given the open world playbility and blocky nature of Pixelmon.
By tridaak
#201665 If you don't believe me, you can also hear it from the devs. Typically what I say is based off something, don't make stuff as I go along.
"downloads have to be removed as distribution of the mod is now illegal under the C&D" MoeBoy76 viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25183&p=200794#p200794

Pokemon holds the rights to the name, the pokemon (and their likeness), the moves, and any other game mechanics that are exclusive to pokemon. Just by using models that are supposed to resemble Pikachu, the mod is subject to takedown.
A lot of people have the misconception of how copyright laws work and how parody law affects copyright. Personally, would say I know more about the topic than the average person, as I work moderating an image sharing site with over 300 million page views per month and also do work selling shirt designs. So have done in the past a lot of research, for those who say, go to a country where no copyright laws exist... well those are some of the people who haven't done research.

In the simplest and most relatable terms:
Imagine if someone looks at your essay and copies it, they might change stuff a bit to put it in their own words, but otherwise it's the same. The thesis, points made, and conclusion are all the same. Is their work done original? Just because they wrote that paper, doesn't mean they didn't copy off someone else.

Remember, this is the real world, with bigger consequences and smaller leverage. Companies can sue for anything that remotely copies their work (even if sometimes it isn't their work). I'm sure you've heard about apple and them acquiring the rights to rounded corners on rectangular handheld devices.
Or Candy Crush trying to trademark the word "Candy" (possibly being able to shut down hundreds of competitors).

Although your argument sounds reasonable... in reality, it's far from the truth.
Here's a small article by someone to a related topic: http://chrisoatley.com/fan-art/
"Do you own the character in question?

Yes? Do what you please!
No? You have no legal right to profit from work featuring characters without permission from copyright holder.
No? You have almost no rights to create such works not for a profit, either."
This applies to any copyrighted work. Meaning, if you make a pokemon model, it is illegal. Even if you don't make a profit, it can still be illegal.
By Waterdude
orbatos wrote:First of all, distribution of this mod is not illegal. Secondly, this mod is composed of original art, so the Pokemon company and Nintendo have no legal ground to file a DMCA or other copyright related request.

The mod owners are within their rights to request an explanation, and it would be appropriate to change the names of characters that overlap if it is requested, but nothing more. Even if the above were not true, the design and work that have gone in to this mod and community have been estabilshed for a length of time such that a clear argument could be made they were infringing, or that the copyright no loger applies to derivatives in this genre.

There is no reason to shut down over this (probably automated) mass request intended to squash competition for games that are likely no competition for Pixelmon at all, and barely the same genre given the open world playbility and blocky nature of Pixelmon.

Don't become a lawyer.
By Waterdude
TheoDoesGames wrote:wait if you guys are shutting down because of nintendo, why did you agree to shut down, you're game had enough differences to not get sued and they have no control over there own copyrighted you have to just keep updating there copyright won't effect you unless they were offering a lot of money.... ;-)

Agree or face potential court, with all the respective costs. Also don't become a lawyer.
By kowalski
#201669 under those same rules, it would be illigal for anyone to draw a picture of a pokemon even if not for profit and even worse to post their drawn pokemon online or make a game like pixelmon interacting with the drawn pokemon
By kowalski
#201670 the toddler who drew a sloppy picture of pikachu may also be in danger of being taken to court and sued by the pokemon company if the picture had a resemblance to the copyrighted pikachu
By Waterdude
kowalski wrote:the toddler who drew a sloppy picture of pikachu may also be in danger of being taken to court and sued by the pokemon company if the picture had a resemblance to the copyrighted pikachu

Intent is key.
By MiniTrekker
#201672 i have the pixelmon launcher but the pokemon company have no brain pokemon company only want money!!! i realyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! want to play pixelmon
By InfiniteFame
#201675 Honestly Pixelmon has and will be my favorite mod for the rest of my life, I will play the older versions I have kept forever.
Let the Pixelmon dream never die, even though Nintendo is stupid and ruined the only good mod on minecraft that my computer could handle.
By ImmortalStorm
MrMasochism wrote:It's Been a Gréat Ride

With much sadness, but keeping all our fond memories, we must announce that Pixelmon is ending its development. We have had a great time making this mod and creating such a wonderful community but after a request from the Pokémon company we will be shutting our doors. I'm sorry for the disappointment this will cause but let's remember all the great times we had playing Pixelmon, discussing Pokémon, making awesome things inside this mod and everything else that we've done.

All good things come to an end eventually and now is our time. However there are always more things to do, to be a part of and to enjoy. Keep going out there to find fun projects to be a part of and other great things to invest your time and enthusiasm into.

Farewell,
The Pixelmon Team

Please don't leave! The Pokemon Company just crushed everyone's dreams. Pixelmon was the only, realistic, and most awesome mod I've ever played. I used watch YouTube videos about this and I really started to enjoy it. I started playing, and enjoying this mod. Why now? Why? Why would the Pokemon Company crush people's hearts because they think it's copyright? Pixelmon is making profit using their game? No. It's a MOD INSIDE of MINECRAFT. If it was a video game it would be a completely different story. But really! A MOD! All the workers in the Pixelmon Team put their hearts into this mod to make people's dreams come true, to enjoy, laugh. You can't stand down because the Pokemon Company thinks it's copyright when it is not! I've seen mods from different TV shows, Movies, Games, and NONE HAVE COMPLAINED. Here's my question to the Pokemon Company. Why? and just Why would you shutdown a Mod? A Mod that people worked for years to accomplish. It's just disappointing.