Forum rules: 
  • This forum is not for hiring developers.
  • Do not post personal contact details (e-mail, phone number, Skype, etc.) publicly. Discuss in forum topics or private messages.

By tridaak
#196782 First, that's a hosting server. Do not recommend it for a minecraft server.
Minecraft only uses 1 core/thread. Meaning, that processor wouldn't be good for a minecraft server.

Look at their enterprise servers, their CPUs are more suited for a minecraft server.
https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/enterprise/
For many players, you'll want an SSD, as it has significantly faster read/write. Wouldnt recommend HDD for any server with over 150 people.

For 200+ people, you should use 64GB to be safe... but could possibly do with with 32GB. Once the game is running, each additional player doesn't take too much memory.

Now that server details are out of the way, let me tell you some problems with the minecraft set up you want to have.
-Pixelmon is forge, MCMMO is bukkit. Bukkit and forge don't mix. There used to be cauldron, which would allow this for old servers, but has been discontinued. Right now there's sponge and is still isn't fully developed. There is an MCMMO equivalent, but has had problems in the past; currently those problems are getting fixed, but wouldn't say it's available for large servers yet.
-I have a server, it has a +/-20K world border. That 20k border takes about 55GB of hard drive space. +/-150K world border is 56 times larger. Meaning, you can expect the map to be >3TB. That won't fit into the SDD. You need the world map to be at maximum 250GB, to make sure you have extra space for anything extra you might need, extra worlds and whatnot. That's a world border of +/-90K.
Do know that to generate the chunks inside that +/-90K world border it would take about 5 weeks, during that time, the server will be basically unusable. (If you don't generate prior to releasing the server, whenever someone explores a new area, you'll get lag spikes and server overloaded messages)
-If the minigames you asked for are similarly handled to those in mineplex, then you would require additional mods, many of which aren't on forge or sponge. You'd need a very good plugin developer to make those mods, which would take a fairly long amount of time and plenty of money.
Alternative is to have moderators host events, but you cant really have an event world where it all goes down. At least not with pixelmon. You could run multiple servers on the same machine, one running pixelmon and the other running bukkit, but this affects amount of usable ram as well as space. Also significantly harder to set up, monitor and keep track of multiple servers. Many mods would require to be cross server compatible (many are not made for that, so possible you'd need plugin developers depending on your needs).
-Buycraft and enjin completely doable. But if you're doing it for fun, then there shouldn't be a reason to charge players, if you want to keep gameplay balanced and equal for all. Charge players if you need to, not because you want to.
-Setting up all those gyms, areas, cities, paths, etc, would take, several months... possibly more. And that's considering you get sufficient builders to help you. Without your server being set up and released, you're not likely to get too many builders helping you out, at least not as many as are needed for such a large project.
-That also means there'd be like 50+ gyms and elite 4. It'd be chaos to track that down, not to mention, there is no mod/plugin that can handle so many gyms. Pixelmon side mod handles a max of 8 gym leaders, and the one on sponge can have up to 32, although don't like the sponge one too much. You'd likely need a developer to help you set that up.
-With all the mods and stuff you'd have, it would be almost impossible to update with the official mod, as pixelmon moves and changes versions, many previous mods/plugins would no longer work. If you had any custom made plugins, you'd need the developers of those mods to update the mods for you, and overall would be a lot of work.

Here's some additional free advice from me: Don't get such a large server until you're ready to. It'll take a long long time to get it all set up. You'll waste serveral hundred buying that server, while it's not ready for people to use it.
Also, when buying from OVH ALWAYS use the Canadian website, prices are cheaper due to weak Canadian dollar.
For now I recommend you get: https://www.server4you.com/virtual-server
It's very easy to switch servers in the future, it's just a matter of transferring files from one server to the other.

Good luck!
By Rasgnarok
#197375 "This forum is not for hiring developers." Most of your post refers to that. Either ammend it, or remove the sections.

----
On another note, if you do not know the industry standard, do not go out of your way to purchase a large capacity server (what you have right now). If you do not know how to manage or maintain a server, do not purchase for one. Learn the basics first - start with a smaller server, and then work your way up. Relying on other's work will not make you the owner of the server. You should focus on being mostly self-reliant, at least when it comes to upkeeping server files and data.

Right now, I would suggest to go back to the drawing board - focus on what you do know, and then do your homework. What's the standard? How many players can you expect with a particular setup? What is the common gameplay out there? Basically, find out what works, and what doesn't.

Once you do, you still have plenty of homework. Gather knowledge on Forge handling, on Spongeforge and Pixelmon. What mods are available to you? What do you need to ammend to fit your current ressources?

All of this should come before your purchase that. Waaaaay before.
By NorthOfTime
#197680 Holy. Crap.

First I wanted to say that I apologies for my first post and it being my looking for a sysadmin. I didn't realize the difference at the time, but now I think I've got a clue and I think we should in a better position.

I swear to all above I didn't get any updates that this thread was replied too. I stopped physically watching it after the first week and just forgot about cause I figured it had gone under the radar. Also figured I'd get an email or some such to show that it was replied too, and I did not. Even when I logged in there was no indication, so I deeply apologies for not replying sooner 1, and 2 just seeing these replies now.

The problem is, as Rasng knows already, I actually already pulled the trigger and bought the host. Tbh I wish I had done more research, but the truth is I am happy with what I have and am happy to be learning. I spent the money, it's done. I don't expect to be open too the public anytime soon, but me and some choice friends are having a blast atm and really getting into it with building and getting ready to be open to the public.

As for what tridaak wrote:

First off... Holy shit have I learned lol. I see what you wrote about here already. It has become quite a bit of discussion between me and the friends that are helping me. spongeforge is quite honestly a bitch to work with, but we are all learning something and having fun while doing it. Ive introduced this mod to over 10 people in the last week, and they all seem to love it. If that's all I do with this server, then I am happy because then 10 more people have been introduced to this place and that makes me happy :).

I have set my mind back on many things. World border is now going to be 75k. After long discussions I decided Between 50-75k was more then enough and 75k is already pushing it, but I want to give people the freedom to go as far out as they want.

mcmmo is still a hot debate, mainly because I know of at least 2 other servers that have it, but I have not heard back from their owners as to how they did it. Might be running and older version for Cauldron? If they are Ill skip it and move on.

At the moment my biggest concerns are with world edit, permissions, roles, and grief/hack protection. Voting too, but that can be a final piece of the puzzle. I am perfectly happy with just having a grief protection server.

With W.E. I can have my builder build cities, gyms, etc and just put them where they need to go. My 'idea' for now is to have Kanto built. Not exactly like the game, but the cities similar with gyms. I've noticed already that Gyms naturally spawn and there are quite a few to choose from the /struc command, so I believe with general world gen there will be plenty of gyms, and we can either build unique gyms for each city, or just /struc one of the available gyms into the city. It should be noted that the Kanto region will be in a 2000 block radius of 0,0... Our goal is to have spawn be Pallet town, and the players will get a tutorial of the game, plus rules of the server there. From there they can either /warp wild or continue on a path and have an 'adventure' like the original game.

I do agree, looking back now I was being a bit ambitious (lets be honest... I still am.), but... I think we are slowly getting somewhere I am just as happy with. As far as the elite 4 I think Ill have a player driven Elite 4 (we will have a separate player driven Gym system different from the one the game has already in it, with Unique/named items the players will give as badges.) which would solve any issue with an 'Elite 4' plug in or such. Having it player driven should keep it... Simpler.

Also, I do actually have some fun things planned for staff run events.. Some things I picked up along the way (Knockback wars, bed wars, UHC, etc.) as well as some EXCELLENT friends who have had quite a bit experience in many aspects of minecraft and minigames. I have to say I am extremely lucky to have competent friends, lord knows my incompetence is enough to drown us soon enough :).

So this is where I am now. After ensuring I've got all the plugins in and going, and the persmissions+roles made, I think... I think we'll be somewhere I want to be. I agree with you trid about the ranks thing, and I think Ill be steering away from ranks and bought things for awhile. I want people to play and have fun without having to spend their hard earned money (or their parents) on trivial things in a game. I also want everyone to have a fair and enjoyable experience.
JOIN THE TEAM