By Hylia
#198150 That is an interesting idea MrVioletRose, although I wouldn't be so quick to ditch the concept of the Pokemon being in the rustling leaves, nor the idea of specific Pokemon appearing in the leaves at varying rarities depending on the tree. Although... perhaps both ideas could be used. Honey could attract some bug and rodent Pokemon around the base, and in the leaves, there could be rustling. Oh! What if the rustling could happen on Honey Trees at any time, but was more common if Honey was placed on them? And as for normal trees? Perhaps they could by default have no chance of rustling leaves, but their leaves would have a chance of rustling if honey were applied to them? See? Now we're coming up with some great ideas together. Lots of things for the devs to use.

Rasgnarok. I have mixed feelings. I like the way you said what you did; very diplomatic. I also kind of agree that an idea should be pulled apart to examine and improve upon it, but that's not what happened. What happened was the devs looked at it, reduced it to a pathetic shell of what it could be, and said, "Maybe we'll do this". That is not how you go about improving an idea, that's how you go about ruining one. Furthermore, unless I am misinterpreting your words, you claim that if we add trees(not redo, why would we redo trees, we'd just need to add them) we need to have an absolutely undeniable reason. It needs to be the only option. This logic makes no sense to me. It seems to suggest a philosophy of doing the bare minimum amount of work. Shouldn't the goal not be to accomplish the function in as little work as possible, but rather, to accomplish the intended function in the most fulfilling and worthwhile way? The way that is best for the players? The trees should be a fun feature that makes the world feel more vibrant and alive, not supposed to accomplish any specific practical purpose. As for the "difficulty" of creating the trees, I'm afraid you've lost me. How difficult can retexturing, or hell, even recoloring, already-existing trees difficult? The Japanese Maple feels more like something they'd have to make a little more from scratch, but the Cherry Blossoms could easily be retextured birch/oak trees. I mean, yeah, maybe that would seem a little lazy, but it doesn't really matter because they can just go back and update the textures later if they want to. There's really no argument for cutting out the majority of the idea in favor of some cheap... what would MrM's version of the idea even be?

The argument suggesting that the Honey Trees would be OP-that's a fair one. I mean, I'm not sure if it is or not, as I didn't really think about it too much in that way, but that's a fair argument to make. I'd be glad to hear any ideas regarding how to nerf it, although... which part of it is overpowered, exactly? The Pokemon I suggested spawn? The rarity of the trees? I didn't put much thought into those, so that seems plausible. If it's something else, you're gonna have to point it out because I've completely overlooked it. >_<

One more thing; I've heard a rumor from a credible-yet-trollish source that the developers have stopped caring about this forum and even the opinions of their mods and helpers. I would dismiss it as said friend trolling me, but my experience in my last two forum posts has indicated that this rumor is true. The staff have seemed dismissive and seem to treat my opinion with little regard. I realize I am just a mere member of the community, but even the average member shouldn't be so dismissed if they have a valid and well-articulated point or suggestion. I grow concerned that if this rumor is true, it could lead to frustration in the player-base over the disconnect between the developers and community, and could become a negative influence on the well-being of both the mod and community. I understand the developers are probably exceedingly busy, but if this rumor is true, please please please do not take the input of the community for granted. It will only lead to a more toxic environment for us all and will be detrimental to the community, player-base, and mod.

By VinceOrlando
#198154 Not dismissive, more of that they have been doing this a long time and know that something that seems simple to you is actually quite difficult to do within minecraft and pixelmon code itself. That and what you are suggesting would further "unoptimize" the mod as well as create a bigger download for the mod itself. The idea is cool, but executing it would be a pain in itself just for something that is basically cosmetic. And for the "source", they are probably someone who has suggested something like this before and was shot down because of what I mentioned above.
By SKyTheThunder
#198158 The simplest version to add honey would be being able to place honey on any log block. It would have a chance to spawn Pokémon from a set list around it - even if they don't naturally spawn in that biome -, can't be picked back up and degrades over time if not broken by hand. The honey could be acquired as rare drops from bee/butterfly/bear Pokémon - maybe from a rare spawning honey vendor.

I know you were mainly focusing on adding new trees, not the honey mechanic itself, however that is mainly what the average player is interested in.
There are plenty of mods out there that add new trees. So there's not really a reason for us to do so as well. It is purely cosmetic and doesn't affect the gameplay in any significant way (the honey mechanic can just as well be applied to vanilla trees). Effectively it would be us building an unrelated feature that others have already done better and can be added with another mod. Same reason why we won't be adding backpacks or a mini map.
By MrVioletRose
#198159 Possibly making some Pokemon exclusive to this method could add some incentive to use it verses going out and hunting the hard way. Cause as is honey just seems like a way to make getting bugs easier than it already is.
By SKyTheThunder
#198166 I see it as an alternative to the tedious exploring for rare biomes. Want a Joltik? Well you'll have to find a jungle biome first - and on certain maps that can be extremely hard.
With honey you can instead grind Beedrill and Butterfree for a tiny chance to have it spawn near you. Two ways that require about the same amount of effort, if we make honey rare enough.
By Hylia
SKy2008 wrote:I see it as an alternative to the tedious exploring for rare biomes. Want a Joltik? Well you'll have to find a jungle biome first - and on certain maps that can be extremely hard.
With honey you can instead grind Beedrill and Butterfree for a tiny chance to have it spawn near you. Two ways that require about the same amount of effort, if we make honey rare enough.

Perhaps. But that does seem like a really frustrating grind. :l

Also, there would be one functional purpose of the honey tree variations. They would have varying spawn rates and other such features. They would also spawn at different rarities in different biomes.

But, yeah, it's not the end of the world if the honey tree thing isn't added. I'm pretty sure I'm no longer welcome in ProjectPokemon anyway - I had a huge falling out with the staff - so there's no longer anything restricting me to the confines of just Pixelmon. I can go out and make a small personal server for my friends and I and add a few mods like Biomes O'Plenty to help me create a more beautiful world.

Although... I'm going to miss Harmonia... my Pokemon on ProjectPokemon... the friends I did have in the community... but I must leave. I had been unhappy in ProjectPokemon for a long time so I had to get out. There was no alternative ._.
By MrVioletRose
#198185 Maybe not butterfree but Beedrill and Combee would be a perfect fit for honey drops and on a rarer chance Ursarang. It could work like a one use spawner that you need to check up on daily, and after a few days if nothing spawns it will just break cause I think something like this needs a chance at failing.
By Hylia
MrVioletRose wrote:Maybe not butterfree but Beedrill and Combee would be a perfect fit for honey drops and on a rarer chance Ursarang. It could work like a one use spawner that you need to check up on daily, and after a few days if nothing spawns it will just break cause I think something like this needs a chance at failing.

Fair enough. Still sad at the unlikeliness of the original goal of this idea being accomplished though. Ah well :c
By MrVioletRose
Hylia wrote:Fair enough. Still sad at the unlikeliness of the original goal of this idea being accomplished though. Ah well :c

It is sad that we wouldn't be getting any new trees, but I wouldn't think it would be to hard to have a side mod like spawn of psyduck that expands the use of honey to other trees from mods like biomes o plenty.
JOIN THE TEAM