Discussion on any aspect of competitive Pixelmon.
By SimonFlash
Geodude671 wrote:
Spoiler:
Actually, XY is when PU became an official tier. It still existed unofficially for a few years before that, including for a significant amount of time in BW.

Correct. Unfortunately, this means that I don't have any data to go off of regarding a SmPU metagame (see http://www.smogon.com/dex/bw/pokemon/), and it isn't worth it to me at this time to go searching for a SmPU breakdown throughout the forums as metagames change over time. As mentioned above, I'm not opposed to creating a PmPU tier at a later date, but for now I'd rather focus on solidifying the PmOU Tier (and thus PmUbers) as once that's completed there are a couple other projects I'd like to do ;)

On an additional note, I'll be moving to update the OP with some info about how to use the database, which I'll link again below.

Official Pixelmon Tier Lists Database: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

By JeanMarc1
#187195 It's awesome to already see a lot of people being interested in working on a pixelmon tier list!

Until a showdown format is officially made, couldn't it be a possibility to test teams/gather data by having a competitive discord room where people would put matchmaking there and show replays there? If that's something that would be made popular, I could possibly host tournaments as it would help gather data on what works and what doesn't work as well.
By Geodude671
#188410 Looking at the tier lists, there are some Pokemon that I think could be moved between tiers:

Arcanine: UU -> OU
While Arcanine does face competition from Infernape, I could definitely see Arcanine being used more and being quite viable with the decreased prevelance of powerful Pokemon with SE STAB on it: like Hippowdon, Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Terrakion. Tyranitar poses little threat due to Arcanine often sporting Close Combat, and the same for Gyarados and Wild Charge. The main disadvantage to Arcanine is its frailty; it is quickly worn down by Life Orb and Flare Blitz/Wild Charge recoil, and Pokemon with access to priority such as Breloom can easily revenge kill it. Despite this, I see Arcanine being quite viable.

Chansey: BL -> OU
The only reason Chansey isn't OU in BW is because people didn't use it enough. It's OU in XY and arguably Chansey performs worse now than it did in BW due to the increase presence of Knock Off.

Donphan: OU -> UU
Let's face it: Donphan is terrible and the only reason it's OU is because bad players keep using it. It might even be RU material but it's definitely UU at best.

Machamp: UU -> OU
Machamp was OU in DPP, but the main reason Machamp is UU in SmBW is because of more powerful Fighting-types like Conkeldurr and Terrakion. With his only real competition being Infernape and maybe Heracross, Machamp has a good chance to return to the limelight.

Serperior: NU -> OU
Contrary. Nuff said.

Snorlax: UU -> OU
Similarly to Machamp, Snorlax moved down a tier in the transition from DPP to BW because of the new generation introducing many powerful Fighting-type Pokemon. Snorlax has many fewer threats in Pm, allowing for greater viability.

Suicune: UU -> OU
Very few of Suicune's SmBW threats are implemented in Pixelmon, with the only implemented mons mentioned in its OU analysis being Celebi, Vaporeon, Ninetales, and Salamence. Popular counters like Abomasnow, Ferrothorn, Lati@s, Thundurus-T, Gastrodon, and Kyurem-B are all not yet implemented, making Suicune much more viable.
By Shadowkirby
Spoiler:
Arcanine: UU -> OU
While Arcanine does face competition from Infernape, I could definitely see Arcanine being used more and being quite viable with the decreased prevelance of powerful Pokemon with SE STAB on it: like Hippowdon, Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Terrakion. Tyranitar poses little threat due to Arcanine often sporting Close Combat, and the same for Gyarados and Wild Charge. The main disadvantage to Arcanine is its frailty; it is quickly worn down by Life Orb and Flare Blitz/Wild Charge recoil, and Pokemon with access to priority such as Breloom can easily revenge kill it. Despite this, I see Arcanine being quite viable.

Donphan: OU -> UU
Let's face it: Donphan is terrible and the only reason it's OU is because bad players keep using it. It might even be RU material but it's definitely UU at best.

Arcanine isn't really only frail. A defensive set with Will-o-wisp and Morning Sun also works, as Arcanine has decent bulk behind it and also access to Intimidate. I agree that it deserves OU, tho.

Donphan in RU? Umm... no. Donphan is only of the few good Pokemon that actually learn Rapid Spin. Appart from stuff like Starmie and Tentacruel, I guess.
Physically defensive Donphan can setup it's own Rocks aswell, and beat physical threats such as Dragonite, Salamence, etc. with access to Priority in Ice Shard, aswell.
By LukeGreninja
#188840 I think that kangkaskhan should move up a couple tiers, I'm not the best competitive player, heck I hardly ever play competitively, but i watch competitive. And fake-out kangkaskhan is extremely strong, at least when he mega evolves thanks to his parental bond. (You guys are adding Megas when Sun and Moon releases, right? Anyways, I'm gone off on a tangent) So I think he should move up a tier. *drops mic*

Lol :-D
By urbymine
#188864 It's hard to really up kangaskan, he's at best a extremely mediocre pokemon that doesn't do anything remarkable, lacks speed and attack to do any meaningfull sweeping, and lacks recovery to tank.
Almost every pokemon in OU and UU has something unique going for them that allows them to function in a team, so without his mega, kangaskan will probably remain stuck in the lower tiers, he's by no means bad, but so many pokemon can do his job better, and as long as there's a better version of him, he'll be stuck where he is.
By Geodude671
#189038 Kangaskhan will remain where she is. She can't do anything that other Pokemon can't do better. I do believe Kangaskhanite will be Uber when it's released, though.

On Donphan: Yes, it has a few useful traits, but it is far from being a good Pokemon. It's widely outclassed by other spinners and finds it difficult to stay alive. It's a very niche pick, and should be used only as a last resort.
By AdmiralKushman
#190050 Good morning all!

I have just been getting into Pixelmon over the last few months. I play with my son on RC Pixelmon servers, they have a Pixelmon 5.0 server that we started with as we wanted to play the latest release of Pixelmon with others.

As with just about all gaming I do -- I like to be competitive. I have been reading up on Smogon, mostly in the BW section as it seems most applicable to the Pixelmon metagame.

As I think about different types of teams to try, rain, sand stall etc a question comes to mind. I appreciate that the Tier list here is a guideline and not everyone will follow it but I think I would like to stick to it. With that in mind, will we be using all of the tier based clauses on smogon as well as the general clauses? Such as in OU using a pokemon with Drizzle and Swift Swim on the same team is banned.

"2: All Smogon Clauses are to remain the same provided that they function as intended. An additional 'Bugged Clause' will be added that prevents all features that do not work as intended from being used. A delineation between buffed features and debuffed features may also be specified." -- leaves me under the impression that these tier based clauses stand as well, just ant ot be sure.

Thanks in advance for any feeback. I don't want to spend weeks or months breeding a team just to find out its in violation of a clause haha

-Admiral
By Geodude671
#190110 As in BW SmOU, you cannot use Drizzle and Swift Swim together on the same team. That clause will likely be abandoned once Pixelmon updates to XY mechanics, though, due to the massive nerf that was given to Drizzle.

Along these same lines, I would like to propose that we allow Drought+Chlorophyll and Sand Stream+Sand Rush unlike in BW SmOU. This is because (at least from my point of view) the former doesn't really break anything and the latter is only broken when Excadrill is brought into the equation; SR Stoutland and Sandslash are completely balanced, as are Chloro Venusaur, Shiftry, and Sawsbuck.

Edit: Upon reflection, if we do decide to go this route Venusaur will probably deserve a ban due to Chlorophyll+Weather Ball being legal on it in Pixelmon.
By OzmafaLok
#201666 At first glance that picture made me think it was intended for me for bringing up rowing stuff 50 and more years out of date. On reading the post, I realized that it wasnt, but it is probably appropriate.

Bob S.
JOIN THE TEAM