Evolution is a process that many Pokémon can undergo, causing the Pokémon to change into a different Pokémon. This change in species is also accompanied by a change in the Pokémon appearance and a (usually positive) change in the Pokémon's base stats. The newly transformed Pokémon will also typically be able to learn moves that its previous form could not learn, although occasionally the Pokémon may lose access to certain level-up moves if they were not learned while in its previous form. Sometimes, the Pokémon may also have a different type than its previous form.
A Pokémon can evolve a maximum of two times, depending on what Pokémon it is. Some Pokémon may have the choice of evolving into multiple different Pokémon depending on the conditions that are met. Some Pokémon, including all Legendary Pokémon, do not evolve at all and have no evolutionary relatives.
Evolution can be cancelled by clicking "Cancel" while the Pokémon is in the process of evolving. However, the Pokémon will try to evolve again the next time conditions are met. An Everstone can prevent the Pokémon that is holding it from trying to evolve.
There are several different methods that can cause Pokémon to evolve.
Leveling up triggers many evolutions, although another condition must be met upon leveling up for evolution to take place.
The most common type of evolution is when a Pokémon evolves if they are at least a certain level upon level up. For example, Charmander will evolve into Charmeleon at level 16. If the evolution is cancelled, the Pokémon will attempt to evolve again on subsequent level-ups. The Pokémon evolved through this method will not be listed here as the list would be excessively long. The levels required for Pokémon to evolve can be found on each Pokémon's page.
Along with needing a specific level to evolve, certain evolutions can only take place if the Pokémon is a specific gender.
Certain Pokémon evolve when they level up with a happiness of at least 220. Some of these Pokémon are also restricted to evolving at a particular time of day.
- Budew→Roselia (day)
- Chingling→Chimecho (night)
- Eevee→Espeon (day)
- Eevee→Umbreon (night)
- Riolu→Lucario (day)
Some Pokémon evolve when they level up while knowing a certain move.
Some evolutions take place if the Pokémon levels up in a specified area, whether this area is near a certain block or within a certain biome.
- Eevee→Glaceon (Ice Rock)
- Eevee→Leafeon (Moss Rock)
- Magneton→Magnezone (Extreme Hills)
- Nosepass→Probopass (Extreme Hills)
- Gligar evolves into Gliscor if it is holding a Razor Fang and levels up at night.
- Happiny evolves into Chansey if it is holding an Oval Stone and levels up.
- Sneasel evolves into Weavile if it is holding a Razor Claw and levels up at night.
- Mantyke evolves into Mantine if it levels up while a Remoraid is in the player's party.
- When Nincada evolves into Ninjask, a Shedinja will also spawn in the player's party if the party has an empty slot and the player's inventory contains a normal Poké Ball.
- Tyrogue evolves into one of three Pokémon at level 20 depending on the relationship between its Attack and Defense stats.
|Attack > Defense||Hitmonlee|
|Attack < Defense||Hitmonchan|
|Attack = Defense||Hitmontop|
Several evolutions are triggered by trading a Pokémon in a trade machine. Some of these trade evolutions require the Pokémon to be holding an item while being traded, while others do not. If an item is required to trigger the evolution, it will be consumed after the evolution takes place.
With held item
- Clamperl→Gorebyss (Deep Sea Scale)
- Clamperl→Huntail (Deep Sea Tooth)
- Dusclops→Dusknoir (Reaper Cloth)
- Electabuzz→Electivire (Electirizer)
- Feebas→Milotic (Prism Scale)
- Magmar→Magmortar (Magmarizer)
- Onix→Steelix (Metal Coat)
- Poliwhirl→Politoed (King's Rock)
- Porygon→Porygon2 (Up-Grade)
- Porygon2→Porygon-Z (Dubious Disc)
- Rhydon→Rhyperior (Protector)
- Scyther→Scizor (Metal Coat)
- Seadra→Kingdra (Dragon Scale)
- Slowpoke→Slowking (King's Rock)
Certain Pokémon evolve when certain evolution stones are used on them. The item will be used up as the evolution starts; if the evolution is canceled, the item will be wasted. Pokémon that evolve with evolution stones have very different level-up movepools than their evolutions, meaning that several moves may become unavailable for the Pokémon if evolved at a lower level, and other moves may be unavailable if evolved too late.
- Dawn Stone
- Dusk Stone
- Fire Stone
- Leaf Stone
- Moon Stone
- Shiny Stone
- Sun Stone
- Thunder Stone
- Water Stone
The following available Pokémon have evolutions that are not yet available in Pixelmon.