By karrybird
#99130 you're on the right track, but there are still way too many polys on him.

when i make heads, i usually only give them 8 divisions max, even that's pushing it a little though. on yours it looks to be more like 20-30 divisions.

By TheBootyEdition
calamiTium wrote:Alright, made some corrections to the model, thickening the legs, and simplifying the head and body. The side view is the only one with significant changes.
Spoiler:

Polygon count: 796

Still too high poly dude it looks the same as last time
By calamiTium
#115338 After a bit of a break and some painful work, I've got this model down to 306 polygons. I am having some issues with Blender creating polygons that attach in strange ways in some curved areas now that there are fewer polygons in the frame, which is creating ugly indents along the surface. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?
By pegguinni128
calamiTium wrote:After a bit of a break and some painful work, I've got this model down to 306 polygons. I am having some issues with Blender creating polygons that attach in strange ways in some curved areas now that there are fewer polygons in the frame, which is creating ugly indents along the surface. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?

can I see a photo to see if I can figure out what's wrong?
By calamiTium
#115416 The wireframe more clearly shows what I was trying to do here, and the renderring gives more detail to what actually happened. For reference, the wireframe also has the indents, but they aren't as visible.
Wire Frame vs. Render | Show
By TheBootyEdition
#115480 The reason why its like that when it renders, is cause of your normals being flipped backwards and bad unnecessary geometry. Take a picture of the verts and ill tell you what to fix
By calamiTium
TheBootyEdition wrote:The reason why its like that when it renders, is cause of your normals being flipped backwards and bad unnecessary geometry. Take a picture of the verts and ill tell you what to fix

Thanks for this, I saw what you meant by "bad unnecessary geometry" and was easily able to cut it out of the frame. The model is currently at 300 polygons exactly, which I'm hoping is reasonable. There is still some error in the model around the shoulders, because I'm connecting around 32 verts to less than 16. Anyways, if anyone has any more suggestions they can give me, this is the point I'm at now with the model:

Current | Show

It does look almost the same as when I started with it, pardon the more ridged edges due to there being less polygons. Do you still think the legs look too skinny?
By pegguinni128
#115755 Make the claws a bit more out, make the circle one the head a bit thinner, and a bit taller, and make the tuft of fur under its neck a bit more "Fluffy".
JOIN THE TEAM