By QueenofClover
#103113 Hello all. I have seen that there was a Torchic model post a while ago, but I do not know if it is still in the works as I can not view the pictures for the model that were on it. I would love to help make Pokemon models, and I wanted to show a little of the work I did on a simple Torchic model.

Spoiler:
torchicagain.jpg

I do not know if he is needed still or not, but I did not find one in the approval section and I'd love to see this starter added to pixelmon. :)
Let me know, and I'll start working on texture and the other evolutions. If it's not needed I can begin work on another Pokemon too.
Either way, helpful critiques are awesome. Thanks for checking out my model! :3

By SPG
#103132 thats actually really nice, we currently do have one though it was never posted, you are welcome to work on it still though and we will replace it if its better then the current (i think it is anyways and only my opinion really matters xD) anyways, once you're done try blaziken, though we added him he could use some work, you dont have to do it though, food for thought
By lugiaisbeast101
#103138 This model is very nice for your first, I do see some minor mistakes but it's really good as is so it's

your choice whether you want to fix them or not.

The head is a bit more oval like, so moving the top of the head down slightly would fix that.

Also, that thing on it's sides, I'm not sure if it connects or not.

Yeah, very minor I know XD Anyways, I can't wait to see the texture, I'm rather fond of this cute little pokemon.
By gilbert12888
#103143 Very nice model so far! It's good to have a little modeling competition as I made the other torchic spg refers to. Here are some suggestions:
The head should be more elliptical as in flatter.
The hair should be larger, as in as tall as the head. That could be fixed by simply fixing the head shape.
The ruffles should be more bushy. Maybe have two layers of fluff instead of one and make it extend all the way around the back. The back of the ruffles should be close to the tail point.
There should be a little parting of the ruffles in the neck area.
The body should also be flatter.
It looks like your torchic is leaning forward a bit. Idk if that is how you want it but have a think about it.
Finally your torchic's feat are quite pointy and look like talons. I know you are working with vertexes here but maybe move the tips in and not arch the toes.
That is what I see when I compare it to the model from battle revolutions. Good modeling and I can't wait to see this and your future models.
-Gilbert
By QueenofClover
#103189 Thank you all very much for your thoughts so far! Though it is not my first model work, I am still learning in school and think this will be a great practice for my art. :) I've worked on all of your suggestions. My teachers told me that after you stare at something long enough, it takes someone else to point out the issues for you to really see them. It's a great help.

Spoiler:
torchic.jpg

After working on everything you all pointed out for me, here is my Torchic model with texture. The one without the shades gives you a look into how the texture looks with no lighting added. I wanted to show that as well since the default lighting in the system I use is quite bad but I do not currently have time to build my own lights for the scene.
By lugiaisbeast101
#103190 For art, you generally want something more pleasing to the eyes, so you don't want

that bright poke going around everywhere, especially one with harsh colors that don't mix well.

Tell me, which is more generally pleasing to the eyes? Then fix the color with your decision.

By gilbert12888
#103191 I see that you added the two layers of fluff but they are the same geometry. Change up one of the layers so that the fluff looks less organized. Also, the orange from the body bleeds into the texture on the fluff. There is a little around the front but more blending would give make the fluff more convincing. Also maybe add some color changes in the head and body.
One quick suggestion about your rendering, please leave the edges hard. It gives us a much better idea of what the geometry looks like. Also you dont need to set up a nice rendering scene you can just screen capture it. A lot of people use gyazo. It is such a convenience.
-Gilbert
By QueenofClover
#103207 Colors have been an off and on difficult for me. I did color pick the colors from a higher resolution of that same model. I picked the wrong hues for ascetics by themselves. I'm better at coloring environments then characters, but I love working with characters so I'm determined to learn through it.
I forgot my default has the normals softened for my current project. I've hardened them for this model now. I had more of the blending, but didn't realize most of it was hidden by the head. I've edited the texture to pull out that blending more. I do not set up a rendering scene for this. I do screen capture my model to post here. The programs I use are Autodesk Maya and Photoshop. My computer has it's own screen capture capabilities.

Spoiler:
torchicagain.jpg
By QueenofClover
#103402 Thanks. :D
Whoa that's way more detailed of a list then the other one I found. I'll definitely look into those and start posting more models soon. :)
JOIN THE TEAM