By Nova Spartan
#77957 So I tried working on Claydol again. I haven't bothered much with anything other than the head and eyes. I'm convinced it's impossible to make the eyes accurately spaced out and sized correctly. Is it just me?

Spoiler:
(The head is floating because it's easier to work on when it's not connected to the body)

Should I just finish putting the eyes together with what's shown in the picture and then make the head more accurate and just see how it looks? It still looks terrible to me >_<

By Dragonspainter
#78599 Humm... Okay I am going to give this my best feedback I can do >8D

I am going to word this like what edits I would do if I where working on this, and I am going to try not to be vague (because saying the head looks wrong is not very helpful XD)

I dont know if this will work, but why dont you try to make the white "rim" around the eyes thicker, take the second loop on the eyes (the inner one) and make it smaller, but make it stick out more, sorta where the red part of the eye lightens to a lighter pink? http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/0/07/344Claydol.png

As for the shape of the head, try adding another loop around the topside of the head, where the faces are the longest, and then scale that loop up until its only a bit smaller then the lower one.

Another tip would be for the "hands" try scaling up where the little nub attaches to the rest of the hand so it flows more into the rest of it, like in the picture I linked above.

I am sorry if this is confusing, or if I am intruding to much x.x
By Nova Spartan
Dragonspainter wrote:Humm... Okay I am going to give this my best feedback I can do >8D

I am going to word this like what edits I would do if I where working on this, and I am going to try not to be vague (because saying the head looks wrong is not very helpful XD)

I dont know if this will work, but why dont you try to make the white "rim" around the eyes thicker, take the second loop on the eyes (the inner one) and make it smaller, but make it stick out more, sorta where the red part of the eye lightens to a lighter pink? http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/0/07/344Claydol.png

As for the shape of the head, try adding another loop around the topside of the head, where the faces are the longest, and then scale that loop up until its only a bit smaller then the lower one.

Another tip would be for the "hands" try scaling up where the little nub attaches to the rest of the hand so it flows more into the rest of it, like in the picture I linked above.

I am sorry if this is confusing, or if I am intruding to much x.x
Intruding? I don't think there is such a thing when it comes to feedback/help. Even if there was, it wouldn't matter at this point. I might just end up giving up, not just on Claydol but modelling in general. No matter what I do, I can't make a model that isn't just a sphere with extra things on it without it looking terrible, and I spend SO much time on them. Even the simple models take me ages to make. I want to desperately finish that Sableye i'm working on, but I just can't when the body and limbs are just never right no matter what I try. Stuff that shouldn't be hard at all, I have trouble with. I guess getting Drifblim approved is enough for me, i'd love to get loads more in there but nothing i'm making is working out, but oh well lol.

I'm not giving up just yet, i'm just starting to consider it. I'd start using Maya but it took me a month just to get used to Blender, now i'd need to take another month to learn a completely different interface and controls.

I just need to figure out what i'm doing wrong is all >_<
By Dragonspainter
#78723 The best advice I can offer is just keep at it, my first models looked pretty horrible x.x

I learned some pretty useful tricks that once you get the hang of them, really increases your modeling speed, if you want I can make a thread in guides or something sharing some of them.

Another idea if you can draw is to draw yourself a reference sheet, and model off of that, or find one on google. If I remember correctly (which I probably dont XD) SPG uses the official models as refs. This would make a good ref (though a small one) http://www.serebii.net/potw/evolution/Claydol.gif

Giving up is a really horrible way of improving xD
By Nova Spartan
Dragonspainter wrote:The best advice I can offer is just keep at it, my first models looked pretty horrible x.x

I learned some pretty useful tricks that once you get the hang of them, really increases your modeling speed, if you want I can make a thread in guides or something sharing some of them.

Another idea if you can draw is to draw yourself a reference sheet, and model off of that, or find one on google. If I remember correctly (which I probably dont XD) SPG uses the official models as refs. This would make a good ref (though a small one) http://www.serebii.net/potw/evolution/Claydol.gif

Giving up is a really horrible way of improving xD
It's not the speed i'm unhappy about as it's just the fact I can't get anything to look right. Even as you suggested, I have recently started using 3d models as references, I have a rather great Sableye head I made thanks to the reference model, but I can't get the arms nor legs nor body to look right. I just can't get the shape going. It's hard to explain >_<
By Reinen
#83881 looks good, art can never be too bad (ok maybe it can)
JOIN THE TEAM