By Nova Spartan
#76913 Now, I choked with this model. It took me ALL day to make this model. I couldn't figure out how to get his head to an accurate shape/size and especially can't get his eyes to be evenly spaced out at the point where it was driving me insane. No matter what I did I couldn't get anything to look right. The reason i'm posting this is to see if anyone has any ideas of what I can do to make it not suck. I rushed to complete the basic points of it so you guys can figure out what i'm getting wrong regarding the eyes and the head. Please help me out here.

Keep in mind, I didn't bother cleaning up the textures seeing how I don't think the model is worth being detailed with as of yet. So, you're going to see a lot of off details.

Front View:
Spoiler:

Side View:
Spoiler:

Top View:
Spoiler:

I couldn't get that UFO shaped head going for some reason thus causing the rest of the head to go downhill.

Maybe i'm over thinking it, but I really think I did terrible. Any idea what I can do to make it good?

By Pro_Malti
#76916 I think this would make it better: Head Shorter but wider, White spaces between eyes need to be smaller and ofc the hands and legs need their tips to be changed. ^^
By Foquine
#76920 I feel like the eyes should be more spherical than flat... But not too much... just a little 3D-popped up thingy
By Nova Spartan
Pro_Malti wrote:I think this would make it better: Head Shorter but wider, White spaces between eyes need to be smaller and ofc the hands and legs need their tips to be changed. ^^
That's my main issue though is the white spaces between the eyes. I can't get the head to the right shape where the eyes will be perfectly spaced out as they're supposed to be without making the eyes too big or something else being off. I'll try what you said though. I have an idea of a way to easily do such.

Edit:Make the head shorter and wider like this?:
Spoiler:

Burgy wrote:Don't be so hard on yourself.
It's getting there, you can't always make a model without feedback.
Yeah I know, but I shouldn't be having this much trouble. I thought Claydol would be an easy-ish model.

Foquine wrote:I feel like the eyes should be more spherical than flat... But not too much... just a little 3D-popped up thingy
Yeah, I know. I'm going to do that once I get a usable head shape. Though, using Spheres will cause much difficulty making the white parts around his eyes. But, i'll (hopefully) manage.

Anyway, i've been wondering, why is it when I press "5" it adds polygons to the model making it look better? Does that stay with the model unless I press 5 again? Or is it there for some other reason and it doesn't say like that? Thanks for the feedback, guys.
By lugiaisbeast101
#76991 Sorry, I'm going to help with this model in any way I can, and now I'm trying to do a visual on how to do the eyes an space out the white part (going to take me a while), but expect to see it shortly, and if have any questions before then, feel free to ask.
By Nova Spartan
lugiaisbeast101 wrote:Sorry, I'm going to help with this model in any way I can, and now I'm trying to do a visual on how to do the eyes an space out the white part (going to take me a while), but expect to see it shortly, and if have any questions before then, feel free to ask.
Good luck with that lol. I spent all day on it again to no avail. I'm able to change the head size to different ways that look better, but those eyes just never work out.

So, for me if it takes me too long to make some progress on those eyes, I may end up giving up. I'm downloading Maya right now to try it out seeing how everyone here says it's better than Blender. That will be my last resort for Claydol if he continues not to work out.
By lugiaisbeast101
Nova Spartan wrote:
lugiaisbeast101 wrote:Sorry, I'm going to help with this model in any way I can, and now I'm trying to do a visual on how to do the eyes an space out the white part (going to take me a while), but expect to see it shortly, and if have any questions before then, feel free to ask.
Good luck with that lol. I spent all day on it again to no avail. I'm able to change the head size to different ways that look better, but those eyes just never work out.

So, for me if it takes me too long to make some progress on those eyes, I may end up giving up. I'm downloading Maya right now to try it out seeing how everyone here says it's better than Blender. That will be my last resort for Claydol if he continues not to work out.

Haha, I've been working at the eyes, it's not too complicated but very time consuming (The way I'm doing it). There's multiple way with going about it, but I just did this as fast as I can (http://prntscr.com/1t204o) (http://prntscr.com/1t20cv) This is what I came up with as an idea of how the eyes should look like, simply texturing the eyes won't do it justice. This is a rough idea of how it looks with the head (http://prntscr.com/1t27ia). The reason why they Maya is better, because it actually is better :) (I use Blender) However, they are very alike in the aspect of modeling, but Blender is just a lot more frustrating to work with. Maya is said to be much easier to work with and it has much more convenient tools to use. Warning, you're going to be spending lots of time learning how to model AGAIN with Maya, as switching from one program to a completely different one is not a walk in the park. Anyways, it's your choice, even though Maya is way better....I just have an odd connection to Blender.

-Anyways, it should be a lower poly, at least for the arms (It seems you cant lower the segments in Blender unless you create a new mesh, but in Maya, you can).
--Make the feet more visible and make the horn part a little wider.
---Apart from that, like I said, you should model out the eyes rather than texturing, it may take a while but it will come with a much better final result.

Try to learn Maya and test it, Blender and Maya are equivalent and people usually go with the program they started off with first.

If you have anything to ask me, feel free to do so (My knowledge is very limited so I'll do the best that I can :) )

P.S. If what you were talking about earlier looks like this (http://prntscr.com/1t2clt), then that means you accidentally enabled smooth shading, just change it to flat.

~ShadowLugia
By Nova Spartan
lugiaisbeast101 wrote:
Nova Spartan wrote:

Haha, I've been working at the eyes, it's not too complicated but very time consuming (The way I'm doing it). There's multiple way with going about it, but I just did this as fast as I can (http://prntscr.com/1t204o) (http://prntscr.com/1t20cv) This is what I came up with as an idea of how the eyes should look like, simply texturing the eyes won't do it justice. This is a rough idea of how it looks with the head (http://prntscr.com/1t27ia). The reason why they Maya is better, because it actually is better :) (I use Blender) However, they are very alike in the aspect of modeling, but Blender is just a lot more frustrating to work with. Maya is said to be much easier to work with and it has much more convenient tools to use. Warning, you're going to be spending lots of time learning how to model AGAIN with Maya, as switching from one program to a completely different one is not a walk in the park. Anyways, it's your choice, even though Maya is way better....I just have an odd connection to Blender.

-Anyways, it should be a lower poly, at least for the arms (It seems you cant lower the segments in Blender unless you create a new mesh, but in Maya, you can).
--Make the feet more visible and make the horn part a little wider.
---Apart from that, like I said, you should model out the eyes rather than texturing, it may take a while but it will come with a much better final result.

Try to learn Maya and test it, Blender and Maya are equivalent and people usually go with the program they started off with first.

If you have anything to ask me, feel free to do so (My knowledge is very limited so I'll do the best that I can :) )

P.S. If what you were talking about earlier looks like this (http://prntscr.com/1t2clt), then that means you accidentally enabled smooth shading, just change it to flat.

~ShadowLugia
Thanks, man but the thing is figuring out how to do what you showed me. What I mean is, what did you use to make the shapes you showed? What can I use? Do I just extrude some stuff from the Sphere or use other meshes? I've gotten pretty familiar with Blender for the most part, but I guess there are still some things I don't know about yet lol.

As for Maya, I have it downloaded, but the controls are so different so far. I think i'm going to wait until I rage quit Blender completely before I bother with Maya.

As for what you thought I was describing earlier was not smooth shading. Open up one of your models in Blender then hit 5 on the numpad. The view should move slightly and the model should seem to have more polygons. If you press 5 again, it goes back to normal. It's some sort of toggle for something. It's usually the button that turns on the reference images, as to why it affects the model I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for your help, it's been invaluable so far. I may have rushed into making Claydol too quickly. I should have focused on perfecting Balytoy first :P
By lugiaisbeast101
#77141 For the horn part and head, that's simple and can be done with ease. All I did was press (ctrl+r) and put my mouse over the horn (You'll see a purple line) then left click. What it does is divide the horn, from there I scaled the divided part and the top part giving it it's shape. Also, I can help you with Baltoy, maybe give some reference pictures. Anyways, all I really did was make the eye shape then continuously extrude.

Yeah, like I said, Maya's a completely different program so the controls are a lot different.
JOIN THE TEAM