Is this model:

85%
12%
3%
N/A
1%
By gilbert12888
#91585 Just here to let you know that I'm working on a Kyogre model. I made this base shape in about 10 minutes so I am nowhere close to being done. All I want is some feedback regarding the proportions and positioning of the fins and such.
The body is all one piece but it can easily be split apart to animate.

Top:
Spoiler:

Front:
Spoiler:

Diagonals:
Spoiler:

Don't complain about the colors, they are the default that 3ds Max assigned them. The geometry looks quite sketchy because it is in quads in 3ds and I have no choice over which way it puts the diagonals to make triangles.

Update: 12/4/13
Spoiler:

Update: 12/28/13
I have been slacking this past month and haven't really gotten anything done as far as pixelmon is concerned. I read SPG's post in the approval thread and I made a lower poly model. Basically, the body has about half the polys as before. I am thinking of just having the red lines textured instead of being geometry. So, here are two random images of the low poly:

Spoiler:

Update: 12/31/13
I gave the model to SPG and he got the textures done. Here is a pic:
Spoiler:

Thanks
-Gilbert

By poe376
#91599 Great job, although keep in mind that Kyogre is what I like to call "FATTY-FAT-FAT-FAT-FAT BLIMP FAT LARD-O LARGE 1000-TON FAT". In other words, he needs to be fatter. Fins need to be smaller. Besides that, FANTASTIC!
By gilbert12888
Josecami wrote:The fins are too thin and big, make them smaller and fatter also make the belly more rounder. Otherwise good start :)

Do you mean the side fins, top fins, or rear fins. Fins is a really ambiguous term.
-Gilbert
By Tanzakk
#91650 Now, I do not model, nor do I really want to. I do not know how difficult it is, nor do I know how hard it is to make modifications to an existing model, however, I do know my Pokemon. I will list a few errors with this model in its current state.

(1) His body is much too thin and needs more depth. Kyogre is a depiction of a whale, not a ray. You need to make him look like you've blown him up with a bicycle pump.

(2) Shorten his body and increase the angle at which it tapers. This will give him more of a tear drop shape instead of an icicle shape.

(3) The portion of his body in front of his hand fins (His head.. I guess) is about one fin length measuring parallel to his body.

I have included official artwork by Ken Sugimori as a reference for you.

Spoiler:
382 (1).png

Now, I could sit here and nag you about the tiniest details, yet I know that you made this in about ten minutes. So far you're doing a great job and I can't wait to see what you'll have for us in the future!

Cheers! :)
By lugiaisbeast101
#91654 I could be wrong, but the overall body is a tad bit too long, shorten the length of the tail a bit then move the part (other stuff located near the tail)

back as needed. Then, resize the head and body and it should have that natural kyogre form (After some inevitable tweaking). KEEP IN MIND, the

fins look fine, BUT shorten the base of the fins (push the base of the fins away from the body) as you resize the head. The reason why is the form

of the fins is good, it's just that you made it too lengthy. Also, I would like to add that you are a very good modeler, you said that took you a mere

10 minutes and you are nearly complete..............Achieving that close of a form would have taken me at the very least two hours :'( . If you are

using Maya, is it that convenient to work with or is it just my incompetence working it's magic 0_0 Oh, and for those things at the end of the tail,

shorten the distance from that to the tail, if you view the distances in the official artworks, you'll see what I mean.
By gilbert12888
#91812 Thanks for all of the quick replies.
Ok so I rethought my model and looked more carefully at the official art, taking your comments into consideration. I started again from scratch and made this model. It is not textured yet and I tried to keep the poly count relatively low.

Spoiler:

If the proportions are still off or it just doesn't look right, let me know. I tried to keep it fat as suggested.
Thanks,
-Gilbert

Edit:
I also seem to have forgotten to make the ends of the side fins. I don't know what to call them; nails, digits? Anyway, disregard that, I will make them later
By gilbert12888
#91870 Just a quick update on the model. I tried to texture the model as it was in the last update with mudbox but it looked very hand-drawn and sketchy. Looking at the other models of pokemon in the forums, most of them are not really textured except for eyes and such. I split up the model and created the raised red highlights on kyogre. I just need to complete the last red line, the white spots on the head, and texture or model the eye. Then the basics are done. I will fine tune the geometry, colors, and maybe split up the side fins and the body into sections to make animation possible after that. Right now the geometry is separated by color and by function; the body, fins and tail are all separate.

Here's a random shot:
Spoiler:

Should I make the two white spots on the head separate models or texture them onto the body? Should I interpolate any of the meshes? Should the red marks on the side fins be raised above the fins or carved into the fins? Please leave any other suggestions. It looks a little too tall at this angle, but that should be fixed when the white spots are added.
Thanks,
-Gilbert
JOIN THE TEAM