By superdude44
#16056 I just recently got into modeling and I've made two models. I wanted to get some advice from some of the more advanced modelers so that maybe i can improve. I realize the texture is crappy, but i'll tweek that soon.

anyway, here is my attempt at modeling turtwig.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

By ilovepokemon
#16061 try using rotated blocks on the back and try making the body a little longer,it also needs an hd texture
By xWildxManx
#16063 I have to say it doesnt look too bad for your first model but definitely try using HD textures and make the body a bit longer
By superdude44
#16070 After looking around the forum i found the HD texture tutorial. but i have to say, it confuses me. when changing the size, it messes with the texture. If it is supposed to do that i can deal with that and just redo it. but if not i'd like to try to fix that. The other concern i have is, what exactly is an HD texture? Is it in regards to the size?

-thanks
By Burgy
#16072 An HD texture is basically having the image size increased giving the image more pixels and making it sharper and look better and such.
By superdude44
#16085 when setting the offsets, i don't have enough room for all of the parts. Is there a way to achieve this? when moving in the negative direction, it turns some of the parts invisible.

EDIT: i got that to work. but now whenever I export it, they turn small again. The size of the background is still big, but the area to work in is still small. Will this still give the desired results?
By JurroRath
#16149 Personally, I recommend setting the texturemap size to whatever is the smallest size that you can comfortably settle all the offsets into, export that, then manually resize it in the paint program you're using. This'll keep the work areas in roughly the same spots, but now the canvas will be much bigger so you can get more detail in there. I'll see about updating the tutorial with this information, as it's much easier than playing a guessing game each time.

And to answer your question, yes, it would work as is, all that really matters is that the canvas be a larger size, after that, you can just start taking guesses at where things are supposed to be placed, but obviously, having the guides there helps a lot so you don't have to do trial and error for potentially several hours.
By superdude44
#16157 Thank you, this helps out a lot. I'll try to mess around with it, hopefully getting better results.

EDIT
my HD texture attempt
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

does this look about right?

I tried to fix the back, but it began getting complicated. I may try again soon, with a different approach.
By Sundial_MC
#16848 Now that's some good texture. You could make the leaves bigger, and also a texture for them. Also, notice that turtwig's forehead isn't flat, but more pointy, sorta rounded. Use more of rounded blocks, it makes models look much smoother and more professional. Other than what's mentioned, it's good for a start.Image
By superdude44
#16868 Thanks. I've been messing with it and have got a bit better result, but the rounding is a bit hard for me. It's kinda hard to turn a square into a circle. Nonetheless, it's catching on. Could you by any change help with the leave texturing? I have made the texture, however I'm not sure how to make the parts around my texture transparent. Is the only way opening it in something like gimp and taking the white or excess green away?

EDIT: i figured out.. and! i've added the improvements everyone has asked for.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

and i made them imgs into spoilers, just to free up space.
JOIN THE TEAM