By Equin0x
#165396 I was thinking of a type of beacon that could be made that would allow you to use fly and go to that location like flying to towns in the game.

By MoeBoy76
#165399 So a TileEntity (likely similar or a copy of Beacon) that you can give a name via a GUI, an interact GUI for rideable flying Pixelmon that shows the named beacons and finally, complicated AI to fly you from point a to point b
By SKyTheThunder
MoeBoy76 wrote:complicated AI to fly you from point a to point b

Not really. A simple teleport to that location would be enough...

I'd add some restictions to the placement though. Like, the "beacon" (or marker) would require a 3x3 wide area with nothing but air blocks above it at any hight. That way you would preserve at least some degree of flying logic.
As for the aesthetic: a 3x3 neutral gray floor mat would do. They don't need to be overly obvious - in the original games you don't see them at all. Personally I wouldn't want it to become something as fancy as the existing beacon block...
By Zenth
#165522 I think that by "beacon" the OP simply means "landmark", and this has nothing to do with Minecraft beacons.

That said, this could work similarly to the /sethome plugin. You craft a beacon, name it at an anvil or it won't work (just like vanilla nametags - this also means you can decide how many levels it'll cost, to avoid mass production), place it, use it, and the location is added to your list. Then, when you use Fly, you're shown a list of your saved locations, select one, and teleport there.

I agree with making the beacon require nothing but air above, and I'd extend this clause to Fly as well.
By SKyTheThunder
#165529 If it was craftable, we'd need a config option to allow/disallow crafting it, though. Else I could see servers getting spammed with markers. If crafting was disabled, players would need to convince the admins that a new one makes sense (not every house in a town needs its own marker).
By Zenth
SKy2008 wrote:If it was craftable, we'd need a config option to allow/disallow crafting it, though. Else I could see servers getting spammed with markers. If crafting was disabled, players would need to convince the admins that a new one makes sense (not every house in a town needs its own marker).

True, or it could be a single use item instead of a placeable structure. :-)
By SKyTheThunder
Zenth wrote:True, or it could be a single use item instead of a placeable structure. :-)

Then we'd have the warp stones other mods already use...
A placeable marker in combination with an external move would be innovative as well as close to the originals, so I'd stick with that.
By RemusSargin
#165790 I think these "Fly Blocks," if implemented, need to be like the elevator blocks which can be covered by blocks and carpets, that way, especially with servers, they could be covered by the path of that area, that way a region or map isn't covered by 3x3 gray areas.

Also, if this could be implemented, it would be nice if we could implement a special "key," allowing server owners to control who could fly. After working on Pixelmon servers for the past three years, it has also been a problem, controlling who can teleport from town to town, and if this would be possible, that would be incredible.
By SKyTheThunder
RemusSargin wrote:that way a region or map isn't covered by 3x3 gray areas.

I was thinking along the lines of neutral colored floor tiles/cobble as texture, maybe forming a Pokeball logo - not a solid grey one. Making it sensitive to whether there are blocks directly above may conflict with the condition of having clear sky above it...
RemusSargin wrote:Also, if this could be implemented, it would be nice if we could implement a special "key," allowing server owners to control who could fly. After working on Pixelmon servers for the past three years, it has also been a problem, controlling who can teleport from town to town, and if this would be possible, that would be incredible.

Limiting access to the Fly HM should do just that, as it's tied to the external move. And players would need to visit the respective marker before they can fly there anyway.
By RemusSargin
SKy2008 wrote:
RemusSargin wrote:that way a region or map isn't covered by 3x3 gray areas.

I was thinking along the lines of neutral colored floor tiles/cobble as texture, maybe forming a Pokeball logo - not a solid grey one. Making it sensitive to whether there are blocks directly above may conflict with the condition of having clear sky above it...

That I think would work fine, I just for some reason was imagining something that looked like the elevator blocks.

SKy2008 wrote:
RemusSargin wrote:Also, if this could be implemented, it would be nice if we could implement a special "key," allowing server owners to control who could fly. After working on Pixelmon servers for the past three years, it has also been a problem, controlling who can teleport from town to town, and if this would be possible, that would be incredible.

Limiting access to the Fly HM should do just that, as it's tied to the external move. And players would need to visit the respective marker before they can fly there anyway.

That would be perfect! I was kind of thinking of something like that, but we still have to see if the Dev Team will be able to do this, and if they choose to focus on this. Excellent idea all around though, and hopefully we can get something this in the game soon.
JOIN THE TEAM