By MoeBoy76
Shaduun wrote:My bad, I thought the bags in game were only limited by the item #, not number of items, but on the other note, does the item check in pixelmon search other inventories inside the main, like the backpack mod?

Gen1: 20 items (1000 max stack via glitches)
Gen2: 20 items per pocket (items and balls, max stack 99)
not sure where it went from there but it did become infinite with max stack sizes

as i said above, only the main inventory is checked, there is no way to tell if an inventory is attached to an item without having a dependency, which will never be done by the main mod

By Xynar
#168865 This could knock out two birds with one stone.

Implement Item storage for PC's.

Make a Mobile PC. Balance it of course. or just use /pc

Access the PC on the fly with Item Storage = Backpack in a sense.
By SKyTheThunder
Xynar wrote:This could knock out two birds with one stone.

Implement Item storage for PC's.

Make a Mobile PC. Balance it of course. or just use /pc

Access the PC on the fly with Item Storage = Backpack in a sense.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Ender_Chest
By Xynar
#168922 This would be a blessing for adventure servers but I forgot Pixelmon is like 90 - 10 with Adv and Sur.
By Ayyavazi
#174231 Hello all,

I know this is an old topic, but the forum rules say I should look for old topics before starting new ones. Anyway, I think a backpack for Pixelmon is a great idea. I know there are some good counterarguments, so I'll address them as best I can.

1. There are already good backpack mods available.

This is good one. As Minecraft and pixelmon change, however, it becomes less and less viable. First, the mods are not always compatible with Pixelmon. Second, even if they are, pixelmon does not check their inventory for pokeballs/potions/etc.

2. Pixelmon only checks the main inventory at the beginning of battle.

To me this is a non-argument. This is the kind of thing that could be changed if backpacks were added. I know some mods (Thaumcraft, for example) that use a belt pouch that is checked by the mod for appropriate items/situations. So it is possible, though I am uncertain of the difficulty.

3. Inventory is limited in Pokemon games.

I have not experienced this. In red/blue (old and new) and gold/silver (old and new) inventory in the backpack is virtually unlimited. You can have up to 99 of each item. Other than that there is no limit. Pockets exist for each category of item (pokeballs, potions, key items, etc.), but this is not really necessary for Pixelmon. Just having a backpack would be good, even if it was menu based rather than slot based like current mods. Or, it could just give you another 27 slots (like a small chest). That would probably be sufficient.

4. You could use a PC system instead.

First, this is radically different than the pokemon games, since the player could never carry the computer with him. And, as someone else already stated, you could just use an ender chest. However, a PC system for storing money could be cool, but only if players lost money when they lost trainer battles (which they don't). Either way, it would be a different topic entirely.

Arguments in favor of a backpack mod:

1. It makes pixelmon more like the pokemon games it is designed to emulate.
2. It extends inventory space.
Whenever a mod adds items, especially ones you need to carry (whether in adventure or survival), its a good idea for extra inventory space to be given somehow.

I think the backpack should be added, but as suggested above (and in other posts) it should only hold pixelmon items. It could be further restricted (to potions and pokeballs) forcing certain important items (such as evolution stones/shards) to take up traditional minecraft slots. Pixelmon should also check backpack inventory automatically for pokeballs and potions, so players don't need to move things around before starting a battle.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything out.

Best,

Ayyavazi
By MoeBoy76
Ayyavazi wrote:1. There are already good backpack mods available.

This is good one. As Minecraft and pixelmon change, however, it becomes less and less viable. First, the mods are not always compatible with Pixelmon. Second, even if they are, pixelmon does not check their inventory for pokeballs/potions/etc.

2. Pixelmon only checks the main inventory at the beginning of battle.

To me this is a non-argument. This is the kind of thing that could be changed if backpacks were added. I know some mods (Thaumcraft, for example) that use a belt pouch that is checked by the mod for appropriate items/situations. So it is possible, though I am uncertain of the difficulty.

3. Inventory is limited in Pokemon games.

I have not experienced this. In red/blue (old and new) and gold/silver (old and new) inventory in the backpack is virtually unlimited. You can have up to 99 of each item. Other than that there is no limit. Pockets exist for each category of item (pokeballs, potions, key items, etc.), but this is not really necessary for Pixelmon. Just having a backpack would be good, even if it was menu based rather than slot based like current mods. Or, it could just give you another 27 slots (like a small chest). That would probably be sufficient.

4. You could use a PC system instead.

First, this is radically different than the pokemon games, since the player could never carry the computer with him. And, as someone else already stated, you could just use an ender chest. However, a PC system for storing money could be cool, but only if players lost money when they lost trainer battles (which they don't). Either way, it would be a different topic entirely.

1. This is true but not technically the fault of Pixelmon if other mods simply don't work.

2. This is absolutely a possibility but it all depends on whether MrM wants it to be allowed or not (it definitely would if we were to add one).

3. Gen1 - 20 total items with stacks of 1 or 99 (or glitched to 999), Gen2 - 20 General, 20 Balls, key items and TMs/HMs are a preset amount all with the maximum stack size of 99.

4. Some sort of banking would be useful for SP but less so for Servers since they can have plugins to handle that
By Ayyavazi
#174285 Hello MoeBoy,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'd like to re-address point 1 based on your argument. The argument goes that backpacks in Pixelmon are unnecessary because backpack mods exist. If those mods aren't compatible, then they might as well not exist for purposes of the argument. Sure, Pixelmon is not responsible for other mods' compatibility, but if the suggestion is to use mods that don't work then the argument falls flat.

As for point 3, that modifies the argument somewhat. If early games had item limits of 20 types of items, each up to 99, then a backpack should probably not grant more than 20 slots, 40 if pokeballs and usable items are separate, as in later games. Similarly, a badges pouch would not go amiss either. Still, if Pokemon expects that the average trainer needs 20 slots for items/balls, then that 20 should extend beyond the typical minecraft inventory.

One way to do this would be to use different items. A belt-slot (from say Baubles) could hold exclusively pokeballs (say 10 different ones, up to 64), while a backpack held usable items (10-20 different, stacked up to 64), and a non-slotted case held badges (1 of each?).

Some innovations from existing backpack mods could be handy in this respect. For example, one of the backpack mods has a toggle that prevents players from carrying more than one backpack (whether worn or not) to prevent abuse. Pixelmon could code that in without an option to turn it off. Similarly, nesting backpacks/bags is normally prevented for the same reason.

Thanks again for discussing this.

Cheers,

Ayyavazi
By Ayyavazi
#174560 Hello again,

I had another thought on this that might keep things simple but still give people what they want (mostly).

What if the main inventory was simply expanded by 18 spaces (2 extra rows). I don't know if that's possible to change in the gui, but if it were it would give the extra space to store the extra items and not require updates to how the game searches for items in battle.

Cheers,

Ayyavazi
By AuraWalker
#175611 I've always thought of your standard inventory as a backpack as it is, i mean can you imagine carrying all that stuff in your arms/pockets? that could get messy really quickly.
JOIN THE TEAM