By stormwarrior5
#170103 The sheer size of Pixelmon is becoming a discouragement.
Those of us with slow Internet connections can relate - for me the recent versions take 15-30 minutes to download, plus time for Minecraft to load it on startup. It's rather hard to join a round of Safari Games on half an hour's notice when it takes that long to get the necessary version.
Thus, I suggest that the efficiency and size of the mod be improved next. Lag is a problem for all of us, and one that's been very apparent in the 4.x versions. It annoys us, it discourages us, and worst of all, it makes the game unplayable. And file size, on an old or 'light' computer, is sometimes critical.
As I don't have experience or direct suggestions for this, please speak your mind on the subject in the near-infinite space of this thread. Thank you for your time! =)
~Storm

By Some Body
#170104 http://pixelmonmod.com/wiki/index.php?t ... ix_this.3F

The size is primarily due to models and sound. These kinds of assets simply require a large amount of data storage, and there's not much that can be done about that.

The Safari Games is not today. You have a full day to download the file.
By stormwarrior5
#170108 I wasn't referring to the current round, just stating that I've had issues in the past.
If there were a way to compress media files such as sounds, would it be viable? Say, if it used an algorithm contained in one file to read the compressed sounds as necessary.
By MoeBoy76
#170129 i understand your pain (600kbps at full speed) but the only thing we could possibly do is only have the low res textures in the mod and all the
regular/sd textures in an RP, which would be a bigger hassle to use and only shave off 10-20 MB
By EddyHg80
#170135 In the 1.7.10 version of Portal Gun there was a sounds.pak file that was downloaded automatically only once.
Maybe we can do the same thing with pixelmon, when there are new assets due to an update the mod could detect which version the .pak file is and download only the new assets and put them in there... I don't know if it's possible though :D
By Jay113355
EddyHg80 wrote:In the 1.7.10 version of Portal Gun there was a sounds.pak file that was downloaded automatically only once.
Maybe we can do the same thing with pixelmon, when there are new assets due to an update the mod could detect which version the .pak file is and download only the new assets and put them in there... I don't know if it's possible though :D

Pointless. We change some models and code for every pixelmon update. If we did what your suggesting it would simply be spiting one 240mb download in to a 15mb and a 225mb download. No benefits whats so ever.
By MoeBoy76
#170150 i believe that he only meant sounds, the problem with doing that is that without the pack no voices will be registered (or songs) which makes for a very silent experience, plus it's only about 25MB worth as well (i have an RP for game voices)
JOIN THE TEAM