By DubskiDude
#173526 Been playing Pixelmon for a while now, and I have a couple suggestions. Would like to hear what you all think.

- Scale wild pokemon levels closer to the player's current strongest pokemon in their party, or alter the spawn rates so higher level pokemon appear more often than weaker ones, relative to the level of the player's team. Having high level pokemon in the wild adds some desired challenge, but there should be some degree of scaling to balance out gameplay. Early game players can currently spam pokeballs to capture high level pokemon without much effort, and low-level pokemon make for poor EXP sources for the late game.

- Make Pokemon PCs easier to craft, because currently it requires a diamond pickaxe to make a nether portal to even get the ingredients for the redstone lamp. I recommend adding silicon as an ingredient, to make silicon more useful. I suggest this because I've played quite a bit and have only found ONE Pokemon Center with a PC in it. The dozen others I've found have none. PCs should also be readily available because the actual Pokemon games have them all over, from start to finish.

- Increase underground pokemon spawn rate. I feel like there aren't enough of them underground to make mining and underground exploring more interesting.

- Increase likelihood of wild pokemon avoiding towns and player structures, and prevent them from spawning within. It seems kind of silly how pokemon spawn in or waltz right in to towns, and some will randomly attack the player while they're focusing on, say, building.

- Give Mechanical Anvil the ability to hammer aluminum into plates. It seems more logical and convenient this way, though it would make the Pixelmon anvil eventually obsolete (as a side note, the Pixelmon anvil should be renamed, since regular Minecraft already has anvil for combining weapons, etc)

- Eliminate or reduce fall damage from mounts (with Drifblim especially, though other Pokemon mounts may have this problem). Riding on non-flying pokemon (i.e. Feraligatr) and taking damage from short falls makes the feature less desirable.

- Make town NPCs useful. Item or Pokemon trading with some of these NPCs may do the trick. NPCs besides the ones in the Pokemon Center and shop do nothing except give flavor text.

- Make it easier to engage wild pokemon (right click to start battle maybe?). Having to hit them with your pokeball is a tad annoying when the pokeball either misses or "bounces" off of grass or other things in the way. This also makes it a problem when you're riding on a pokemon and have to jump off to battle every time.

- Buff item space. Too much stuff to carry, like battle items, apricorns, extra gems in case Move Tutors appear while exploring, etc.

- Fix Quick ball exploit (fight, quick ball, run, repeat)

- PCs should have 100% spawn rate within Pokemon Centers. Not sure why this isn't already the case.

- Make silicon more useful. Currently only used to make Galactic armor and Porygon evolution items.

- Replace mobs with Pokemon in the Nether/the End. High-level Rock/Fire/Ghost types could populate the Nether, and Dark/Dragon/etc can populate the End.

- Remove Pokemon suffocation damage. I've seen Pokemon mobs die far too many times from spawning oddly, and it slightly takes away from the experience.

- Make berries plantable. I wouldn't suggest having them grow in the wild like Apricorns, because that would make finding them for the first time too easy. Gaining them from beating a boss and then being able to plant them would make them a neat reward.

- Replace diamond requirement for type Gem held-items recipes (Fire Gem, Water Gem, Bug Gem) with Crystal. I honestly doubt anyone would find spending 5-6 diamonds to make a one-use battle item to be worth the cost.

- Make it easier to send out a pokemon to ride on without having to press R. Possibly set a hotkey specifically for a designated "riding" pokemon in your party.

- Heal/revive pokemon without having to send them out physically. To my knowledge its impossible to use a revive on a pokemon without having to enter a battle using another of your pokemon and using a revive from the menu there.

- Redo boss pokemon movesets, i.e. boss Gengar only knowing Ghost-type moves and losing to a normal type. I killed one this way. You should also be able to run from these boss fights as well, in case you know you're going to lose, and said boss will regain all their health and PP when you do.

Will be adding suggestions as I come across them. I'm confident these are well thought out and implementable features, but let me know they're feasible or not.

By FrostEffects
#173531 Most of these features you've requested can already be done via the config file.. which you can edit in game in your mods option, or via an external source. For example:

- Scale wild pokemon levels closer to the player's current strongest pokemon in their party, or alter the spawn rates so higher level pokemon appear more often than weaker ones, relative to the level of the player's team. Having high level pokemon in the wild adds some desired challenge, but there should be some degree of scaling to balance out gameplay. Early game players can currently spam pokeballs to capture high level pokemon without much effort, and low-level pokemon make for poor EXP sources for the late game.

can be achieved using the pokemon grass if you were doing a custom map; turn off natural spawns.

- Make Pokemon PCs easier to craft, because currently it requires a diamond pickaxe to make a nether portal to even get the ingredients for the redstone lamp. I recommend adding silicon as an ingredient, to make silicon more useful. I suggest this because I've played quite a bit and have only found ONE Pokemon Center with a PC in it. The dozen others I've found have none. PCs should also be readily available because the actual Pokemon games have them all over, from start to finish.

create your own custom recipe with craftbook or any other plugin that allows you to create custom recipes.

- Increase underground pokemon spawn rate. I feel like there aren't enough of them underground to make mining and underground exploring more interesting.

check your config options...

- Eliminate or reduce fall damage from mounts (with Drifblim especially, though other Pokemon mounts may have this problem). Riding on non-flying pokemon (i.e. Feraligatr) and taking damage from short falls makes the feature less desirable.

enable no fall damage

- Make town NPCs useful. Item or Pokemon trading with some of these NPCs may do the trick. NPCs besides the ones in the Pokemon Center and shop do nothing except give flavor text.

Use trainer wand to setup your own traders, event move tutors, etc.

- Make it easier to engage wild pokemon (right click to start battle maybe?). Having to hit them with your pokeball is a tad annoying when the pokeball either misses or "bounces" off of grass or other things in the way. This also makes it a problem when you're riding on a pokemon and have to jump off to battle every time.

throw out your pokemon and press 'r'? to make your pokemon attack the other pokemon (notice the crosshair icon in the top corner?)

- Buff item space. Too much stuff to carry, like battle items, apricorns, extra gems in case Move Tutors appear while exploring, etc.

this mod is using the default minecraft inventory mechanics; the only possible thing that could be done is allow backpacks, but there are sidemods that already do this. believe backpacks were on their to-do list though.

- Replace mobs with Pokemon in the Nether/the End. High-level Rock/Fire/Ghost types could populate the Nether, and Dark/Dragon/etc can populate the End.

use spawn of psyduck sidemod and enable them to spawn in the dimension located in your main config file. the dimension id will be either -1 or 1 (end/nether)

- Make berries plantable. I wouldn't suggest having them grow in the wild like Apricorns, because that would make finding them for the first time too easy. Gaining them from beating a boss and then being able to plant them would make them a neat reward.

keep up to date with the progression with pixelmon; they're already creating berry plants. It is coming soon...

- Make it easier to send out a pokemon to ride on without having to press R. Possibly set a hotkey specifically for a designated "riding" pokemon in your party.

throw the pokemon out and press 'r' that is a hotkey.. what are you asking?
By DubskiDude
#173539 can be achieved using the pokemon grass if you were doing a custom map; turn off natural spawns.

Not doing a custom map - I'm talking about the state of the base vanilla version. Also not sure how turning off natural spawns would even begin to fix the game balance problem.

create your own custom recipe with craftbook or any other plugin that allows you to create custom recipes.

The "do it yourself" argument doesn't really accomplish much. It overshoots my point, really.

check your config options...

See above.

enable no fall damage

See above dos

Use trainer wand to setup your own traders, event move tutors, etc.

See above tres

throw out your pokemon and press 'r'? to make your pokemon attack the other pokemon (notice the crosshair icon in the top corner?)

I'm aware of the crosshair. But the movement AI is far from perfect, and it takes 3-4 times longer to get into a battle that way if the targeted pokemon is moving around a lot, which they very often do.

this mod is using the default minecraft inventory mechanics; the only possible thing that could be done is allow backpacks, but there are sidemods that already do this. believe backpacks were on their to-do list though.

Fair enough.

use spawn of psyduck sidemod and enable them to spawn in the dimension located in your main config file. the dimension id will be either -1 or 1 (end/nether)

Call me old school, but I prefer not to load up on multiple mods created by different groups of people who all have different visions for their final product. It wears the game's cohesion and consistency thin. Plus, other people's mods aren't the focus here - I'm offering these suggestions only for Pixelmon to improve their work.

keep up to date with the progression with pixelmon; they're already creating berry plants. It is coming soon...

Cool.

The issue is that I have to manually move the pokemon I want to ride to the first slot, or even the fifth or sixth slot depending if the game is glitching on me (which it currently is), and from there the mount pokemon is now my active pokemon, whether I want it to be that way or not. This complicates things when I'm attempting to train one pokemon and I'm using a different pokemon to move around places, which causes a lot of time to be wasted having to swap the training pokemon and the riding pokemon back and forth when I'm out and about trying to train. Its tedious. I think this could be solved with a key binding specifically to send out a designated "riding" pokemon. That way I don't have to keep switching the riding pokemon to whatever active slot the game (or glitch) is deciding on in order to be able to ride it. Does that make sense?
By Jay113355
DubskiDude wrote:- Make Pokemon PCs easier to craft, because currently it requires a diamond pickaxe to make a nether portal to even get the ingredients for the redstone lamp. I recommend adding silicon as an ingredient, to make silicon more useful. I suggest this because I've played quite a bit and have only found ONE Pokemon Center with a PC in it. The dozen others I've found have none. PCs should also be readily available because the actual Pokemon games have them all over, from start to finish.

Pixelmon drop glowstone dust. http://pixelmonmod.com/wiki/index.php?t ... stone_Dust

DubskiDude wrote:- Make town NPCs useful. Item or Pokemon trading with some of these NPCs may do the trick. NPCs besides the ones in the Pokemon Center and shop do nothing except give flavor text.

In the pokemon games half the people in towns do the exact same thing
DubskiDude wrote:- Fix Quick ball exploit (fight, quick ball, run, repeat)

If that's a bug in the game report it to the bug tracker so we can take care of it.

DubskiDude wrote:- PCs should have 100% spawn rate within Pokemon Centers. Not sure why this isn't already the case.

Some poke centers are designed without pc's

DubskiDude wrote:- Make berries plantable. I wouldn't suggest having them grow in the wild like Apricorns, because that would make finding them for the first time too easy. Gaining them from beating a boss and then being able to plant them would make them a neat reward.

WIP <insert link when i find it..>
DubskiDude wrote:
FrostEffects wrote:
DubskiDude wrote:- Make it easier to send out a pokemon to ride on without having to press R. Possibly set a hotkey specifically for a designated "riding" pokemon in your party.

The issue is that I have to manually move the pokemon I want to ride to the first slot, or even the fifth or sixth slot depending if the game is glitching on me (which it currently is), and from there the mount pokemon is now my active pokemon, whether I want it to be that way or not. This complicates things when I'm attempting to train one pokemon and I'm using a different pokemon to move around places, which causes a lot of time to be wasted having to swap the training pokemon and the riding pokemon back and forth when I'm out and about trying to train. Its tedious. I think this could be solved with a key binding specifically to send out a designated "riding" pokemon. That way I don't have to keep switching the riding pokemon to whatever active slot the game (or glitch) is deciding on in order to be able to ride it. Does that make sense?

Use the up and down keys to change what Pokemon gets sent out?

DubskiDude wrote:- Heal/revive pokemon without having to send them out physically. To my knowledge its impossible to use a revive on a pokemon without having to enter a battle using another of your pokemon and using a revive from the menu there.

Right click with the Pokemon selected if i remember right.
Edit: currently bugged (4.2.5)? Its already fixed in VCS.
By DubskiDude
#173544 Pixelmon drop glowstone dust. http://pixelmonmod.com/wiki/index.php?t ... stone_Dust

25 out of the 480 (I think?) drop glowstone dust, yes. But two of those 25 don't spawn normally (Raikou and Zapdos), and it would be foolish to kill them simply for glowstone dust, so at the most we're looking at about 4% of the total available pokemon who even offer the chance at dropping glowstone. Even then, its a percent based drop, and that doesn't account for spawn rates or the level of the Pokemon. What I'm saying is that building a PC (that in the Pokemon games are free and are there from the get-go) shouldn't require so much effort when it should be readily accessible.

In the pokemon games half the people in towns do the exact same thing

Half is still more than zero.

If that's a bug in the game report it to the bug tracker so we can take care of it.

I don't think its a necessarily a bug, but more of an oversight. The Quick Ball works the same as in the main games, if I understand it correctly; its just Pixelmon's function of being able to re-enter a battle after you flee that makes the Quick Ball exploitable.

Some poke centers are designed without pc's

In the main Pokemon games, or just in Pixelmon? I've never been to a legitimate Pokemon Center in the main games without seeing a PC. I definitely recommend that all designs of the Pokemon Centers get a PC - these are pretty crucial.

WIP <insert link when i find it..>

Just as a side note, I hope they're not TOO easy to find.

Use the up and down keys to change what Pokemon gets sent out?

Wow, I had no idea that did that. Its not a glitch after all, then. Seeing as though its a blue inner circle that is really hard to discern from the pokeball symbols, though, I would recommend a different, more noticeable graphic to display which party slot is the "active" slot. As a graphic artist I'm very keen to details, and the fact I didn't catch on to that is of some significance. I'd also like to point out that if all your pokemon are fainted, you can't see what your "active" one is. This can be a problem if you're far from a healing machine and need to revive your flyer.

Right click with the Pokemon selected if i remember right.
Edit: currently bugged (4.2.5)? Its already fixed in VCS.

Awesome. Right-clicking to start a battle would work very well.
By MoeBoy76
#173547 Just quickly,

- fall damage: Vanilla mechanics are that you take fall damage on horses/pigs

- scaling: grass will be added to worldgen soon

- NPCs: adding new features once i get some other stuff done, though another dev may beat me to it
By FrostEffects
#173550 "Call me old school, but I prefer not to load up on multiple mods created by different groups of people who all have different visions for their final product. It wears the game's cohesion and consistency thin. Plus, other people's mods aren't the focus here - I'm offering these suggestions only for Pixelmon to improve their work."

You realize that these sidemods are being re-written by the same people making the core mod...?
Just because its not in the official mod doesn't mean that it is not apart of the final product. The point of side mods is to give people the option to add it or not. If its in the core mod then those features are forced into play.

Most of the suggestions you've made can even be done by looking deeper into the CORE mod configs and making changes to suit YOUR needs.

Such as the lack of pokemon giving glowstone; increase the rate at which pokemon spawn, or the amount of underground pokemon.

You can't make the perfect server if you don't have the I'll DO IT MYSELF kind of attitude. waiting on someone else to ''maybe'' add a feature that you could have solved by adding a server-side plugin/mod just prolongs your handicap and will never get your server anywhere; but if there is any technical help that you have regarding the files or configs; hit me up, I've been configuring servers for 3years.
By SKyTheThunder
MoeBoy76 wrote:- scaling: grass will be added to worldgen soon

On a side note:
Any chance we'll get some scaling options without using Pixelmon grass? I personally like the wild spawning Pokémon far better than the random encounter thing, but level scaling would be nice too...
By Some Body
DubskiDude wrote:Fix Quick ball exploit (fight, quick ball, run, repeat)

As you use up the Quick Balls you throw, allow the opposing Pokémon to attack your Pokémon each time, and can't weaken the Pokémon while using this strategy, this exploit isn't particularly game-breaking. There is also another limiting factor if the opponent is fast enough that you can't run away reliably.

DubskiDude wrote:Heal/revive pokemon without having to send them out physically.

Revives are currently bugged on servers; this will be fixed in the next version. If you try on singleplayer for the time being, you'll see that right-clicking the air while holding one will bring up an interface to use it on a Pokémon.

DubskiDude wrote:Redo boss pokemon movesets

Boss Pokémon are still wild Pokémon, just at a higher level than your Pokémon. Therefore, they will continue to have random moves from their level-up movepools. Even if type advantages can be exploited, this is not necessarily a bad thing, and is not something that will always be possible.

DubskiDude wrote:25 out of the 480 (I think?) drop glowstone dust, yes. But two of those 25 don't spawn normally (Raikou and Zapdos), and it would be foolish to kill them simply for glowstone dust, so at the most we're looking at about 4% of the total available pokemon who even offer the chance at dropping glowstone. Even then, its a percent based drop, and that doesn't account for spawn rates or the level of the Pokemon.

With the large number of items in Minecraft and the unaccounted high variance in spawn rates, a raw percentage of Pokémon drops is a horrible metric for an item's rarity. Several Pokémon that drop glowstone dust spawn commonly in common biomes, and you only need four glowstone dust to make a PC.
JOIN THE TEAM