By Creepah
#176773 Note: I have no idea to what extent this is or is not possible. It's just something I thought about and would be a nice addition.

Hey. As you may know, games like B2/W2 have sprites that, rather than static like in most older Pokémon games, move. I was thinking about this and how cool of a feature it would be to have Pokémon sprites (like in the Pixelmon sidebar menu and when selecting a Pokémon in-battle) move like in some Pokémon games, by using a gif file.

Summarizing all comments. This and this guide helped do the animation.

The animated image for Bulbasaur's Crystal sprite is:
| Show

assets > pixelmon > textures > sprites > pokemon:

001.png.mcmeta:

Now, this animation works perfectly. For blocks/items (MC and Pixelmon) and even the Photos with the new Camera added in 4.2. They all use the same .png and .mcmeta file, so should have the same animation, which... is a Bulbasaur.

However, when doing the same for a Pixelmon sprite, this happens:

Any help is appreciated. <3

By SKyTheThunder
Amnail wrote:Pretty sure that's not how sprite sheets work. They're not animated gifs. They're pictures in a layout that create animation. They're not actually animated by theirselves, but rely on the game.

As stated in the link I posted. ;)
By Creepah
#179158 Okay, so I tried getting the animated Bulbasaur sprite from Pokémon Crystal in Pixelmon.
Result:

The references I used are this and this handy guide, but it does not seem to work.

In assets > pixelmon > textures > sprites > pokemon, I have the following:

001.png:

001.png.mcdata:

Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong? Thank you in advance :]
By SKyTheThunder
#179289 Hm... Maybe try to list the individual frames?
The guide you linked is for 1.6 - maybe 1.8.x needs this clarification for whatever reason...

Code: Select all{ "animation": {
  "frametime": 1,
  "frames": [
    ]
  }
}
By bvanseghi
#179318 Interesting...

Yes, this idea is completely possible.

EDIT: Yes, Sky is right, you need to list the amount of frames as shown in a file from my mod below. Also, the amount of frames you list is how the computer knows where to divide it up by (I.E, if you have 16x64 image, and specify 4 frames, 64/4 = 16. Only use factors of 16. Similarly, if it were 32x128 and 4 frames, 128/4 = 32. The level of detail you want is indirectly dictated by the first number.

EDIT: For the people who aren't so savvy with this stuff, "Frametime" is the amount of ticks in Minecraft in which all frames are shown. Basically, the animation I have below would go from start to end in 3 ticks.
(Hint: 1 tick roughly equals half a second (0.5 seconds).

Code: Select all{
  "animation": {
  "frametime": 3,
  "frames": [
  ]
  }
}

This "code" is taken from my own mod, in which items are animated and move.

All the Pixelmon devs would have to do, is put the mcmetas and (pixel)x(pixel) images together under the same resource folder. However, its a matter of whether or not they want to. I would 100% support and create this, but I you kinda need the go ahead from a dev before you start working, lest your efforts be in vain... I don't think this idea would be too stressful on resources. The computer would have to individually keep track of each animation, though...

Curious, but these animations are for the pokemon hotbar sprites ONLY or is it for the sprites in the PC as well??
JOIN THE TEAM