By DrumAtMeBro
#177958 (1) Riding Speed Exaggeration
TL;DR Pidget is waaaay faster than Charizard. See also: Rapidash and Torterra.

Would it be possible to scale (or if there already is a scale, make it heavier) the riding speed of pokemon based either on their Speed stat or their canonical speed? (i.e. Pidget being faster than sound in the cartoons) That would make racing a new, fun way to play the game, allowing players to re-create the Rapidash-Dodrio race on their self-made courses.

(2) New Pokemon Calls
TL;DR Community contribution? Issues with Copyright?

While there are some pokemon calls in the game that are spot-on, others are more lackluster. This is becoming obvious as the models are getting increasingly realistic. Maybe consider drawing in some of the audio manipulation crowd by taking new files for pokemon cries, like you're currently doing for animations and models? I am also wondering if somehow GameFreak (or whoever owns Pokemon....Disney? :) ) would have an issue with just recording the sound made by a pokemon in a cartoon and converting it directly into the game. Thoughts?

By SKyTheThunder
#178036 1)
The problem with weighting the "actual" speed in would make many Pokémon pretty useless as a mount. A Torterra with realistic speed would be slower than base walk speed, same with many others of the more plump Pokémon. Same for the other end of the spectrum: A Pidgeot or Raikou with speed of sound would be way too fast to handle - for both player and program.
I realize you don't mean giving them their actual canonical top speeds, but even a fraction of that would greatly imbalance mounts. On the other hand a noticeable difference would be more immersive.
I'd say a 20% difference between fastest and slowest Pokémon might be a good idea, everything beyond that would be too much...

2)
There were 2 (?) threads asking about this over the last months and someone volunteered to record some cries. I don't know about the status of that though. I agree that we need more cries and to maybe replace some older ones. Taking them from the series sadly is not an option. The devs go with a strict no-resources-from-original-media policy, since the mere existence of this mod is close enough to copyright infringement as is.
It might be a good idea to reach out to the community via official news blog entry. There have to be at least some motivated and talented people with good mics out there, right?
By DrumAtMeBro
#178361 @amnail
What, if any, kind of help might you need? Is the help as simple as 'Here's a pokemon, do your best'? I could try to help if there is some free audio manipulation software out there, but I hardly have voice variation chops.

We might try reaching out to this young lady - I could do that if we would like to give it a shot :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENj7Z-afhY
By DrumAtMeBro
#178362 @sky

Realistically though, if you're riding a torterra....what should you expect? :) while the slow end might not be awful, I agree that the faster end would be unmanageable - maybe scale the lower end down significantly and the upper end up slightly?
By SKyTheThunder
DrumAtMeBro wrote:@sky

Realistically though, if you're riding a torterra....what should you expect? :) while the slow end might not be awful, I agree that the faster end would be unmanageable - maybe scale the lower end down significantly and the upper end up slightly?

The thing about game balance is that making it more realistic can sometimes make it worse. Mounts are there to speed up travel and allow for modes of transportation you don't normally have. If a Pokémon now gives you no advantages while riding there's the question "Why even have that feature on it?". It'd be like adding a chess piece that can't move and thus can't contribute to the game anyway...
That's the angle I was coming from with my argument. Personally I think making some mounts useless is not a good idea, but others may disagree on that.
By Amnail
DrumAtMeBro wrote:@amnail
What, if any, kind of help might you need? Is the help as simple as 'Here's a pokemon, do your best'? I could try to help if there is some free audio manipulation software out there, but I hardly have voice variation chops.

We might try reaching out to this young lady - I could do that if we would like to give it a shot :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OENj7Z-afhY

Just do what you think you can do. No one's going to say "Hey, you gotta do this Pokemon". There is a spreadsheet about what needs done, but it's never updated. And be prepaired for people to hate what you do, simply because some don't like change.
JOIN THE TEAM