By SubGenesis
#182825 Hi all,
I was reading about the 'level increase with distance' option in the update features, and got me thinking about a good way of improving the leveling, just a few random ideas.

I think a great way would be using a block that when placed makes the surrounding area i.e. in exclusively that biome within a 100 x 100 area, spawn pokémon with an average level a certain average amount above the previous level (of the last block that was layed down wherever it may be) i.e. block 1 by defeating your first gym gives levels 10 block 2 from second gym spawns 20's etc.

The block is obtainable through various quests in game such as: completing a gym, catching/evolving a specific pokemon, beating a gym with a specific pokemon to encourage style diversity etc.

the block can be placed once like glass

block themes could be shrines, totems, minerals?

could make offerings, i.e. a stack of coal to temporarily increase the chances of a certain type of pokemon appearing, or pokemon with slightly more likely nature and iv's.

a special award could also be safari block version lasts for 30 mins and spawns pokemon from different biomes or levels after which it disintegrates

higher level places get slightly different spawns, to their low level equivalents, i.e. skarmory only on higher level grass planes

can only obtain one block for each level, so no easy unlimited level 50 blocks for example, to get other blocks a prestige system could be used such as starting from prestige block 1, 2, 3... with different pokemon, over time different biomes can be made high level for eventual access to all pokemon, by prestiging many times.

By Amryu
#184113 Hey there,

I wanted to add my own ideas in regard to level scaling :)

1. Scale based on highest Pokemon in possesion

The game keeps track of your highest level Pokemon (Team and PC) and adapts
the level after this value. Let's say the highest level Pokemon you could find would
be 10 levels below that value, but at least Level 5.

This way you could also limit the kinds of Pokemon that will appear by level, so you don't run into the world and find a Dragonite with Level 50, but only basic stage Pokemon that should appear in the beginning (Rattata, Pidgeot, etc.). It really annoys me that it takes no effort to find a high level, rare Pokemon right at the start.

Because of this issue your starter Pokemon feels REALLY useless, unless you take the time to actually level it, which is tedious if it can't even fight on his own.

2. Scale based on prestige levels

Basically doing this is the same idea as above, to not get a start with "OP" Pokemon only.

So you gain Prestige by doing all kinds of stuff, like leveling, evolving, battling trainers, etc.

This way you could add Prestige levels (or maybe just call it Trainer Exp), which should be quite hard to achieve if you want a challenge in the mod. Additionally, when we're talking about Gyms, they could be used to raise the Prestige level but only after enough experience was gathered.

This way you would have to actively play the mod, instead of it being just a mod that feels awkward and targetless. Most of the time I don't really know what to do with the Pokemon.

So this is difficult to do, because lower level players only need a "big friend"
to get higher level Pokemon. To solve this problem you must satisfy the conditions (the ideas mentioned above) to capture Pokemon, whose level is above yours. Getting them by trading can be possible but then they don't obey like in the games. When trying to capture them just add a message like "<Pokemon> dodges the Pokeball!".

Feel free to ask me about anything and please excuse me for all my grammatical mistakes :D
By SKyTheThunder
#184126 To improve a bit on Amryu's ideas:
I wouldn't base it on the absolute highest Pokémon in possession. If you luck out and come across a legendary (lvl 70) and get even more lucky and manage to catch it, you'd be locked to that level - no matter if the rest of your Pokémon are all lvl 30 and lower.
The highest Pokémon on the team would be enough. That way you can go out and grind up your lvl 10-15 team without worrying about 40+es.
Also it should be randomly based on all players in the area - so a new player still has enough lvl 2-10 Pokémon around even if a lvl 40+ player is near.

I'm not a fan of the Prestige system though. It seems counter-intuitive that I would have to level two separate things to be able to meet higher level Pokémon. Also, what if I just do a ton of catching/crafting and increase my Prestige to a level that my Pokémon can't deal with?
Really I wouldn't make it more complicated than it already is. ^^;
JOIN THE TEAM