By Fducker
#190165 since i played the very first games i was always intrigued with the plot and "lore".
the anime we got was always quite plain on it and since the end of the Johto saga i dropped it for good reasons (we talk about several years ago).
what have i noticed that we use "Cry" similar of those of the anime serie , AKA: pokemon screaming their names.
since the first games to Arceus fight, when clicking to any pokemon we would NEVER read them using their name as a cry instead something that would sound more like an animal ( you can research that or even get you old Red/Gold/Silver/Platinum version and check every pokemon sprite if you want, i've already done that and can even prove it if requested).
i know that for copyright issues using their original games sound would be not convenient, and in a minecrafty sandbox-like exploration hearing their "8bitish" cries would be even worse, so i had a better suggestion.

if we take the new specials as example: Pokemon generations (i doubt there is something more lorefriendly and more like the games than these specials)
we can clearly hear that EVERY pokemon there sound exactly like animals, not even Pikachu says its typical "Pika-Pika" instead sounding like a Mice.
so i just suggest to find the cry-noises of the animal that represent its pokemon counterpart (or in case mix some animals noises like they did for the Jurassic park series to find the sound that most goes along with our Giratina) , edit and use that as its cry (making harder to recognize that pokemon noises that you hear outdoor for example)

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktskEn5q7gg
or any other of these specials

give me your impression

By SKyTheThunder
#190177 This is very much a matter of opinion, but there's two big arguments for the name cry variant:

Even in the games the Pokémon say their names. Not in sound; those are strictly abstract - but if you interact with Pokémon NPCs in any game the conversation text will portrait noises based on their name. This legitimates the anime's approach in that matter.

With the success of the anime the Pokémon calling their own names became a very prominent point for recognition. Most people simply expect them to do it - so if we did it differently we'd be disappointing those expectations.

You're not the first one to look into more realistic sounds, which is why those are already partly represented in the sounds. Haunter for example has mostly laughing and "boo!" sounds; others say their names in ways you could see as the natural noises they make etc...

And in the end there's always the possibility to replace the current cries via resource pack, assuming you can get a hold of good quality sounds.
By MrMasochism
#190272 This is always a judgement call. Personally I preferred the anime sounds to the 8-bit nasty sounds used in the games so I went that way when we started this mod. As always though, this is a community mod, if you want to create a set of sounds we will support you in that. As long as the sounds are your own creation or completely legal for you to use you will be able to post your links to it here. If the pack gets to a good level of quality we'd look at integrating it into the main mod or making it an official resource pack
By Geodude671
#190273 Pokemon Origins/Generations did have Pokemon making animal noises (except for Cheryl's Chansey I think?). However, if the anime cries really bother you that much, just use a resource pack to change the cries to animal noises.
JOIN THE TEAM