By pio
#192199 Hello there!

Part of a servers struggle nowadays in terms of contente is related NPC Gyms, Elite 4s, etc. This is due to the fact that people tend to use the so called F.E.A.R strategies and alike. Yes, those are "easy" to counter but there are some problems:
  • The algorithm for NPCs doesnt work like we think and doesnt know what a F.E.A.R pokemon is, making "stupid" plays and losing to them rather easilly. The NPCs dont have an issue per say, they just do what they are programmed to do too well: "Lvl1 pokemon? Lets kill it since we can."
  • ]Making an NPC that can counter them makes it generally weaker (like having it hold icy rock + hail, have multi-hit moves, etc);
  • Even then, if you make it like stated previously, these people can use items such as max revives to get their F.E.A.R pokemon back and slowly win;

How can this be fixed?
Well, if possible, we would like to ask for a level checker in the NPCs.
Example: Trainer's pokemon must be level X or above to interact with.
There could be a setting to set it to check the lowest level, highest level or average level.

How would this help?
It would allow servers to set a minimum level to 100, for exemple, for an NPC and it would instantly exclude F.E.A.R strategies entirely as the NPC would only work if the lowest level on the party is 100.
It has many other uses, but this one is, I feel, the most importante one.

Hope what I explained was understandable, thank you for reading and have a good day,
-Pio

By Some Body
#192209 F.E.A.R. is a legitimate strategy, and if you don't create teams that pack counters to it (Entry hazards, Ghost types, status moves, Sandstorm-immune for Aron, priority for other F.E.A.R., etc.), then that's largely your fault for not teambuilding with them in mind. Limiting levels like that is against how Pokémon battling works.

Max Revives and other healing items can be used on basically any Pokémon to "slowly win", so singling them out for a F.E.A.R. Pokémon is not a strong argument. Even with these items, only Aron can actually work with them as the Focus Sash is a one-use item that can't be replaced during the battle.

If you are really adamantly against them, create server rules and ban people who use them. Do note that you can spectate players who are battling NPCs.
By SnowBlitzz
#192230 It is indeed a legitimate strategy, and one that is frowned upon unfortunately. Yes it is easy make teams that counter them if you're human, but for NPCs, they can make the wrong move and let one single aron sweep the whole team.

We have made 2 teams to test this. An example is leading with a stealth rock, icicle spear, earthquake, hail mamoswine, it will most of the time use icicle spear to break the fearmon, but there are also times it will switch out, and also times it will use earthquake. I think it chooses the move based on the opponent's type weakness or something, since we have our AI set to tactical - which should be quite smart.

In the case someone does not use fearmons and battle these types of teams made to counter fearmons, they would be at an advatantage since moves such as icicle spear and hail hinder the Pokemon's ability. While it's setting up stealth rock or hail it could be easily set up on by, let's say a Scizor.

We thought about this for a long time and decided that we should suggest the idea of "level locking" an NPC so it only accepts battles if your team has level > 80 or perhaps level = 100, something configurable in the NPC trainer's GUI.

It's true that revives, max revives and healing items are also an issue for competitive battle, but we'd rather have incompetent players spend items or to buy these things to compensate for it instead of using easy fear tactics. I have it in the back of my mind that I want to suggest an option to disable item usage as well, but that's a different topic now.

Not sure how we're going to convince you, but I hope it will at least be considered.
JOIN THE TEAM