By xXTotalPandaXx
#209092 The sheer amount of pokemon can make it extremely difficult for the player to catch the very specific pokemon they want. (This is about eternal floette, specifically, but I think it can be a wonderful feature for the rest of the game, even if it's toggleable and not default.)

What if the rarity for a specific pokemon species/form increased VERY slowly for every, or every few, encounters with that species? Like reduce the rarity weight by like 0.1 or 0.05 or something. With this knowledge, the player knows that they will EVENTUALLY encounter the pokemon they want.

The rarities can be reset with a simple event trigger, like using a healer or /pokeheal, or after a certain amount of time has passed in game, or even catching a pokemon. Then, boom, rarities returned to normal. The point is, this makes it so the player feels better than if they were relying on pure RNG for the harder to find pokemon.

Obviously, legendaries remain the same, because the rarity weight is compared against the legendary pool and not against every possible pokemon spawn in the area.

I mentioned eternal flower floette for that specific reason. Because her spawn is reliant on the entire pool of pokemon possible with sweet scent in a flower forest at morning. Floette has a spawn chance of roughly %15 at dawn, before the day starts, which I've determined to be the best chance a player has. Her first 5 forms have a rarity weight of 40.0 while eternal floette has a rarity weight of 0.1.
This makes it almost impossible. It will take literally days, at least.

But, by lowering the spawn chance of every encountered pokemon species/form, the chances of encountering eternal floette is... still terribly low, but at least the player can be confident that they'll catch her eventually.

I imagine it plays out like this:
Encounter uhh... Ekans. Defeat Ekans. Lower Ekans rarity weight by 0.1. Continue grinding, eventually lowering all other possibly
Encountered pokemon enough to encounter, let's say... Granbull. (I know you can just evolve a snubull, but this is for reference.) Catch Granbull. Life good.

That's all I got. Thanks for considering.

JOIN THE TEAM