By arachnidGrip
#211096 With 3 different regional variants now, breeding has gotten complicated, even for the devs. What I suggest is a way to control which region you breed in by making a new item for Ranches - potpourri buckets.

By default every poke would breed into one region (probably kanto by default (configgable of course)). You'd use the infuser to infuse a bucket of water with varying items to make different kinds of potpourri, and these would let you breed different regional variants.

For example, I breed Growlithes. By default, I'd only get normal Growlithes. If I infuse a bucket of water with fossils, I'd get Ancient Potpourri, which I'd then use on the Ranch. Now, I'd either be guaranteed or have a chance to get Hisuian Growlithes.

This would also future-proof against more regional variants as we'd simply need a new type of potpourri

There's even a perfect spot on the Ranch's current model - the blue smiley screen. It could change depending on which potpourri you use. If the potpourri only lasts for a certain period of time/number of breeds, the screen could be green then slowly lowered back to blue.

Aside from regional breeding, potpourri could be a temporary buff to breeding in a few ways. The buffs could range from simple stuff like making environmental blocks of a type more effective, to influencing the gender of the eggs, to more powerful buffs like higher shiny chance or a chance for special textures to be passed down (so we could get say a microscopic pink pidgey).

I imagine buff-type potpourri and regional potpourri should be able to combined, maybe with more powerful buffs like shiny chance taking away more uses. So say an Ancient (Hisuian) potpourri by itself could have 30 uses. I could combine it with a Fire potpourri to make Flaming Ancient potpourri with 20 uses, or with special texture potpourri to make Special Ancient potpourri with 10 uses.

By SKyTheThunder
#211100 Hm. I had a similar thought, but more simplified. Instead of the Everstone which the original games use for regional breeding, you'd have Regional Rocks for every region. Those could be obtained from different biomes via Rock Smash and/or infusion.

By default, the regional form of the offspring would have a 2/3 chance of being that of the mother and 1/3 that of the father if breeding two Pokémon from the same evolution line - or always that of the mother/non-Ditto parent if breeding with another Pokémon. Holding a Regional Rock would override that and enforce the respective region if applicable.
You could also keep the Everstone as an override for the "default" form.
JOIN THE TEAM