By dhi2awesome
#211564 Mounts in 9.0.1|1.16.5 are not the greatest currently, so I wanted to suggest some concepts for improving it.

GENERAL
I know parts of these have been how it works in the past, but I wanted to include it to expand across the full idea.
The speed stat would be used to determine how fast you move. Higher the stat, faster the movement. The scaling would be based on gameplay testing.
The attack or special attack stat, depending on the mount type, would determine jump height. If the mount is a physical mover (for example, Rapidash, Arcanine, or Tauros running), the jump would be based on attack/"muscles", while if it is a special mover (say, a flying mount propelling up with wind currents), it would be based off the special attack.
An extra element would be the ability for some mounts to have some secondary function outside of being able to be mounts, for example having Ursaluna and Stoutland (as well as others, perhaps Boltund) being able to function as an item finder to an extent.

LAND
Honestly, land travel is pretty good as it stands. Being essentially horse movement fits perfectly to riding Pokémon like Rapidash and Arcanine. What they are currently missing is the jump height of horses.
On an alternate concept, perhaps a mechanic akin to horse breeding in vanilla could become a thing, to allow for horse racing to be even more interesting with Pixelmon? Having speed, health, and jump be something that can be bred down (although writing that out, that just sounds like IVs doesn't it)

WATER
Water traversal is broken in 9.0.1, but ignoring that issue, I think there is two ways to break up water mounts, to allow for some interesting changes.
SURF
Surf would be riding across the surface of the water, akin to riding in a boat, but faster (depending on speed stat). Some Pokémon, such as Lapras, would only get this traversal method. Some Pokémon, such as Basculegion and Sharpedo, would also be able to jump out from the water, Basculegion having the double jump functionality present in Pokémon Legends Arceus.
DIVE
While surfing, pressing the Descend keybind would allow you to dive (if RequireHMs was enabled, you would need to know Dive). In terms of movement, I don't really have any ideas, but player swimming could be a decent jumping off concept? Looking up and down to move up and down, basically always moving towards the cursor.

LAVA
Based upon both the 1.16 mob the Strider, as well as 9Tales's great suggestion on this same concept, Lava mounts are something that definitely should exist within Pixelmon. As said by 9Tales, Nether traversal is currently not very easy, with flying not being super consistent or accurate, and land travel being difficult at times.
The ability to walk or run across the lava via a Hisuian Arcanine would be extremely fun, and expand the gameplay within the nether immensely.

FLIGHT
When thinking about flying mounts, a few ideas come to mind. Each have benefits and downsides, but I think a combination of the concepts across different Pokémon could work out.
GLIDER
Essentially Elytra flight without the fireworks, these Pokémon would be able to descend from places gracefully, and be able to maintain some air speed and distance from accurate movements. I would picture Pokémon such as Garchomp in this category.
SKY-SWIM
As the category name suggests, these mounts would somewhat function like swimming (or the Dive mount ideas from earlier), but in the air. Fast and simple maneuverability, but maybe not as fast movement as other categories overall.
FLAPPING
Pokémon who flap their wings would be this type, allowing for hovering, and bird-like traversal
SOAR
Taken from OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire, and arguably Let's Go Pikavee, just being able to sit in the air, ascend when holding Jump, descend when holding Descend.

CLIMBING
Being able to scale vertical surfaces is honestly a feature Minecraft itself lacks, having the Spider be essentially the only mob set with that ability. However, with Pokémon, we know of atleast one species which should be able to do it, if not more via the Rock Climb HM from Generation 4. Sneasler and the HMers should be able to latch onto a wall, and climb it as if it's a ladder/vine.

That's roughly everything I can think of at this time, I hope that as 1.16.5 Pixelmon is developed, mounts will get better, because as of 9.0.1, they can be a bit finnicky

By 9Tales
#211567 Land: I do think mounts should have the capability for higher jump height. Wyrdeer is a high jumper in PLA. Not sure if it should be based on the offensive stats though.

Water: I actually think the current water mount system is an improvement to the one in 8.4.2. It is easy to use. Not sure what you are referring to as "broken" unless you are mentioning how some water mounts like Samurott are unable to move forward and some like Tentacruel are too slow. Maybe they should work on making it easier to explore ocean monuments, but that might be impossible to do at the same time as increasing mount speed.

Lava: Thanks for recommending my suggestion, though I definitely don't think this should be exclusive to Hisuian Arcanine. Arcanine was just my main example. Several Fire-type Pokemon should get this functionality, as well as Groudon and maybe some Rock-types or Dragon-types.

Flight: I'm not sure what the best flight system should be, but I think the Pixelmon team wants to give all flying mounts the same system. Whatever system they implement, I think that it should be not too hard to travel long distances with it, yet also not impossible to manuever to high places in render distance with it.

Climbing: I definitely think some Pokemon should be able to rock climb. Maybe it should be a Rock Climb moveskill. When you use the Rock Climb moveskill, all vertical surfaces are treated as ladders for 2 minutes, and it has a 30 second or 1 minute cooldown, so you can use it again to increase the timer similar to how you can use the Intimidate moveskill again to increase the timer.
By OshawottSam
#211572 travel does need a rework and great ideas are given

my only wish is we were incentivised to use other forms of travel than flying

why go swimming or over land when flyings alot more effective.Most mons that deal on land or sea are slow and cumbersome and maybe surfing and that breeding idea of your could really help it
By dhi2awesome
#211575 @9Tales, by Broken, I was referring to how a bunch of mounts cannot move in water, but also how easy it is to be dismounted off mounts (such as Blastoise or Feraligatr) just by going slightly too far underwater. This is why I split the ideas into Surf and Dive, and made it user choice to go under.

With Lava, I was just using H-Arcanine as a named example, like in your suggestion there are many valid mons, I just didn't want to overload my post with names of Pokémon.
By 9Tales
#211628 Actually, I'd say that the Pixelmon Team has incentivized other forms of travel than flying. You can't use a flying mount underwater, but if you use a water mount underwater then it pauses your breath meter and allows you to explore underwater and reach those underwater raid dens and shipwrecks.

Land mounts are so readily available that most people have used one. Also, they are good options for when the hunger meter gets too low and disables sprinting while exploring the world. Also, I have used them in the Nether since flying mounts are hard to use there, Fire-types cannot be damaged by fire and magma blocks, and land mounts help speed up transport on roads between Nether portals.

And if lava mounts get added, then lava mounts would incentivize themselves. Using flying mounts in the Nether is a nightmare; traveling across lava has got to be easier. Depending on how it gets implemented (if it gets added), it might help for when you fall off overhangs in the Nether too. Pokemon who are both land and lava mounts might become the best form of travel in that dimension.
By Dragnier
#212019 On 1.16.5 Flight:

While I get not necessarily wanting multiple systems, there are already multiple in the game to take advantage of without too much adjustment; creative and elytra.

That said, it would be nice if say psychic and similar flight was just creative but somewhat slower than that normally is to be useful for building but not superb for getting around long distances and regular "flying" flight was more like the Wings mod or elytra; which I'm sure could be replicated fairly easily.

Extending that to certain limited in number pokemon, read mostly legendary, being able to switch between the two modes for utility and travel would even further incentivize pokemon breeding and types choices.

As for incentivizing other modes of travel, flight is always going to trump most options for long distance unless there is some sort of fatigue mechanic tied to it. Disabling regular flight underwater makes sense, but I would think the creative version would still be useable underwater since it is essentially telekinetic mimicry. Adding flight fatigue helps in both cases.

Fatigue could be easy to restore on landing for a bit with a small delay and penalize running out completely with a longer delay and forced landing.

On Land Travel:

Similar to horses, the major problem with land mounts is obstacles, speed, mobility, and suffocation in various combinations. Take the Mach Bike for instance; the major drawbacks with it are water, mobility, and suffocation. As a crafted mount, this makes sense except for the mobility part. The Mach Bike is two blocks wide... you cannot navigate a one wide gap even though the model is small enough and you could do so on foot.

As for pokemon land mounts, it would be nice if they negated suffocation damage entirely and their models could maneuver in the same size as they appeared to be; however wide or tall that was. To combat larger land mounts being useless in some situations, they could be allowed to break certain naturally occurring blocks such as trees if they are big enough to do so but only if they were not placed by a player; which I believe is a flag tracked on most placed blocks.

This would make combination water and land travel mounts a preferred method of travel much more readily than flight in some cases and at least allow strictly land mounts some use and utility.

On General Mount Utility:

It would be both useful and convenient if mounts could have some sort of inventory that they could keep even when picked up or poke-balled. The size of the inventory should definitely be related to their size and capabilities as well and perhaps even affect flight stamina if it were implemented; though that specific should probably just be limited to monitoring the number of unique stacks rather than total amounts stored.
JOIN THE TEAM