By 9Tales
#212865 When the Pixelmon TCG comes back, I think that there should be a playmat feature. People who play TCG in real life often put all their cards on top of a playmat of their choice.

These playmats would show up in the cosmetics tab, and you would associate a playmat with your deck by similar means to associating a card sleeve or coin to your deck. Default designs may include designs for specific Pokemon types, designs for Energy types, designs for each starter, designs for different Legendaries, simple decorative patterns, visually-appealing artwork, or other designs. When you play TCG with someone else, your side of the board would have this picture over it. Your cards would show up on top of this picture.

This means that when you are playing TCG with someone else, your cards don't just have to sit on the ground, over water, or hovering in the air. Also, it would provide another thing that people can customize with datapacks.

By Jephon
#212942 My only thing is for it to look minecrafty.

The current lines that form the playing area honestly drive me a bit insane. It’s a small detail but it just doesn’t look like it fits in well to any build I try to accent it with.

Dunno how to fix it though and I suppose that’s the dilemma. I’d say if it has a playmat to customize, a datapack could make it look however you wish but I still dunno if that will make it look less hologrammy and more like it fits into the environment.
By SKyTheThunder
Jephon wrote:My only thing is for it to look minecrafty.

The current lines that form the playing area honestly drive me a bit insane. It’s a small detail but it just doesn’t look like it fits in well to any build I try to accent it with.

With the addition of Playmats the system could be changed to always use a PNG texture of an appropriate resolution, instead of the rendered lines. The default would then be an image of just the basic game layout, with the rest transparent. So you would see a number of pixel lines of the default block texture resolution, raised slightly off the ground similar to Redstone Dust. A player's Playmat would then override that default one.

We'd need each mat in 3 resolutions for that, but working on the largest size and scaling it down shouldn't be too difficult I'd say.
By 9Tales
#212973 I suppose this mechanic could also allow adding a "default" playmat for decks that don't have a playmat, which datapacks can also customize. Maybe it would also show up when no one is playing on the board and help the TCG battle arenas work better with builds.

Another (probably better) way to fix that issue with builds is maybe to allow assigning a particular playmat to a TCG Battle Arena too, so that someone can choose the playmat that works the best with the build. This playmat would show up on both sides of the board when no one is playing on it, and it would also be the playmat used by players playing on that board that don't have a playmat. You can assign a playmat to a TCG Battle Arena by right clicking it while holding a playmat, and the person who assigned the playmat can right click it (maybe while crouching) while not holding anything to remove it. When two people are playing against each other, each person's playmat, if they have one, would override this playmat on their side of the board.
JOIN THE TEAM