Discussion on any aspect of competitive Pixelmon.

Who will the next showcase be?

31%
54%
15%
By Tyceus
#165397 Firstly, I just want to let you all know I'll be changing this to a weekly thing. If the poll at the end of the showcase ends in a draw, I will do my best to make both happen. Anyway, moving on to the showcase!

Yanmega

Yanmega: A Pixelmon commonly used for special sweeping because of its phenomenal Speed, as well as Special Attack stats. Not to mention the Abilities Tinted Lens and Speed Boost that really showcase this Pixelmon's abilities.

Quick Note: Be careful of Stealth Rock!! Yanmega has a 4x weakness when it comes to Stealth Rock, making it a very difficult switch in with Stealth Rock out. It's very helpful to have a Pixelmon that can remove hazards on your team when using Yanmega.

Where is Yanmega found:

Yanmega cannot be caught wild, but it is not uncommon to see its prior evolution (Yanma) amongst these biomes: Swampland, Swampland M, Jungle, Jungle Hills, Jungle Edge, Jungle M, Jungle Edge M.

What is Yanmega used for:

Like mentioned earlier, Yanmega is an incredibly dangerous special sweeper. With a base Special Attack stat of 116, it alone poses a threat to deal fair damage to /almost/ anything.

What is a typical build for Yanmega:

Commonly seen builds for Yanmega are normally limited to two Natures (Timid and Modest). A Modest nature, along with the correct breeding and EV training, will bring out the full Special Attack in Yanmega, while a Timid nature, along with the correct breeding and EV training, brings out the Speed to overwhelm many Pixelmon.

That being said, let's move onto the build...
The first build is a 'Life Orb' build.

EV's:

Typically you'll want to aim for 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed, and 4 Defense. The remaining four EVs were put in Defense, but they are very trivial, so they could be used to tailor it to fit your team best. They won't make much of a difference, but it doesn't hurt to be safe when using the remaining four EV's.

Nature:

Logically, I chose the Nature Modest, a single reason being that a Life Orb will slowly wear down the user, and since Yanmega already doesn't have such bountiful health, It'll need to be hitting very hard and consistently to keep up with and match opponents. The next reason is because of the Ability I chose for this set..

Ability:

I chose the Ability Speed Boost for the Life Orb Yanmega set. Speed Boost will make sure Yanmega stays well above the curve when it comes to Speed. When paired with the move Protect, Yanmega can become very fast and out of control, very soon, making it a lethal threat to the opponent if they don't have a way to keep Yanmega in check.

Moves:

The moves I chose to go with this set came down to what Yanmega was limited to. While Yanmega is a very good Pixelmon, the movepool of it is very compact, and normally predictable.

Protect- When paired with the ability of this set, it can assure that Yanmega gets at least one Speed Boost before it has to start attacking. This is very useful in the case of facing something like a Mewtwo, where at first Yanmega has less Speed, but once you use Protect and Speed Boost activates, Yanmega has a clear shot to OHKO that Mewtwo.

Bug Buzz- This move is a MUST. With STAB to go along with the huge Special Attack power, this move will assert dominance amongst the playing field. The move also carries a 10% chance to lower the opponent's Special Defense.

Air Slash- Another must-have move. The STAB from this move, along with the 30% chance to flinch a target alone poses a threat. But when you factor in things like coverage against Pixelmon such as Machamp and other big threats, this move is certainly the icing on the cake.

Hypnosis/Ancient Power/Shadow Ball/Giga Drain-These four moves are very interchangeable in the matter of what you need to cover in terms of your team.

What checks Yanmega:

Rather than a Pixelmon to check Yanmega, I chose two things to check it: priority moves and Stealth Rock. Priority moves will deal with Yanmega because of its low defensive ability, while Stealth Rock takes away 50% of Yanmega's health upon switch-in.

What counters Yanmega:

Chansey-Chansey is a perfect example of what can counter Yanmega. A Bold Chansey holding Eviolite can manually switch into a Modest Yanmega with a Life Orb and eat anything it throws at it. Chansey can spam Soft-Boiled and Seismic Toss to easily take out the Yanmega.

Jolteon- With the move set we provided, none of those moves can take out Jolteon in one hit. Jolteon won't be able to outspeed if Yanmega is at +1 but a Thunderbolt from a Choice Specs, Timid Jolteon with EVs invested in Speed and Special Attack will be efficient in taking out a Yanmega.

Tyranitar- While Tyranitar is weak to Yanmega as Bug Buzz and Giga Drain are super effective, he will be able to take the hits well and return with a stone edge(or any rock move). A stone edge from Tyranitar will easily take out Yanmega as it's 4x weak to it, although stone edge might miss if you're lucky.
Once again, thanks so much to ChickenPotpourri for working with me on this showcase. Wouldn't have been able to do this one without him.

We would love to see some of the sets you use for this Pixelmon! Please leave showing what you use Yanmega for, how you use it and counters that you know!

I'll try get a Sableye showcase out shortly as the last poll ended in a draw with Yanmega.The options for the next showcase are: Chansey, Jolteon and Tyranitar! Be sure to vote!

Until next time!

By AcedDunsparce
#165404 Nice, glad to see another tutorial, be expecting some Sabyleye sets in the soon future.
By SimonFlash
#165405 Chansey is a definite counter to Yanmega, as it is for just about all special attackers. However, Jolteon and T-Tar are both checks, and situational.

Jolteon is the more reliable of the two, as the majority of it's common attacks (Volt Switch, T-bolt, and HP Ice) makes for an easy OHKO. Barring scarf variants, Yanmega will outspeed after Speed Boost procs (Modest or Timid). Jolteon would be easy bait on the switch in, so it would be playing more of a revenge kill role. It should be noted that modest variants have a high chance to OHKO with stones up using Bug Buzz, and is naturally a 2HKO.

T-Tar is a bit more sketchy, but has the larger payoff being a common user of Dragon Dance. Getting the correct predict can work, though not always. Bug Buzz is your most reliable attack (Rock does not resist Bug, so it's still 2x) with a steady 2HKO at around 80% though support/Assault Vest may be a 3HKO.

It should also be noted that HP Ground and HP Fighting will do less damage than Bug Buzz even though it's more effective. Other notable moves would be Hidden Power, Psychic, U-Turn, and Tailwind. The latter is highly situational, but has good synergy with U-Turn and Speed Boost. Choice Specs is also a valid option, but will not change the outcomes against the pokemon listed above.

As a final note, I suggest putting the remaining 4 ev's into Def or SpDef depending on your team, not HP. It is more beneficial to keep an odd HP, as the damage from Rocks, Toxic, and other % moves (moves that deal damage relative to max or current HP). I also believe that some versions of pixelmon have stealth rocks bugged, so that may not be possible.

I'd personally like to see T-Tar next, as there are such a wide variety of sets for him. Looking forward to it!
By Tyceus
#165411 Thanks for pointing out about the weakness. I fixed that in the post! :) Also, I haven't seen any assault vest Tyranitars so it's great to see some other ideas for him being posted.
By Some Body
#165412 These are certainly getting better. I'll mention a few points so that these analyses can keep improving.

-Hazard removal is limited to Rapid Spin (and not Defog) due to Pixelmon being based on Gen 5. It wouldn't hurt to explicitly mention Rapid Spin and a couple of its common users (e.g., Starmie).
-It is often easy to see why STAB moves are included on a set. The Protect explanation is definitely useful, but coverage moves are missing explanations, and those are the ones that should be expanded on with a description rather than being tacked on at the end, especially since you're using slashes to denote the option of choosing any of them.
-Yanmega's physical Defense (which is what most priority moves hit) is actually quite decent for an offensive Pokémon. Priority is definitely an option to bypass Speed Boost, but Yanmega needs to be weakened a fair bit before most priority moves can KO it, even with relatively strong ones like Ice Shard Mamoswine.
-While Bold is the typical Chansey Nature, mentioning it in this case specifically is somewhat misleading as Bold raises Defense, which doesn't affect Chansey's performance against Yanmega.
-Jolteon loses if it switches into Bug Buzz as the switch turn will allow Yanmega to get a Speed Boost. This makes it a check and not a counter.
-As said before, Rock does not resist Bug, so Bug Buzz is still super effective against Tyranitar. If you can manage to get Tyranitar in for free or into a predicted Protect, you can rely on the Special Defense boost Tyranitar gets from Sandstorm to tank a single Bug Buzz and OHKO back. However, this makes Tyranitar a check as well, and a shaky one at that as it will lose most of its health in the process.

SimonFlash wrote:HP Ground and HP Fighting will do less damage than Bug Buzz even though it's more effective

This is Gen 5, so Hidden Power's maximum base power is 70 and will do slightly more than Bug Buzz when super effective. Regardless, these types both hit Steel types, which resist Bug Buzz (unless you have Tinted Lens).

SimonFlash wrote:T-Tar is a bit more sketchy, but has the larger payoff being a common user of Dragon Dance.

Dragon Dance backfires against Yanmega as it can continue to outspeed due to Speed Boost.

SimonFlash wrote:Assault Vest

Assault Vest doesn't exist in Pixelmon as it is a Gen 6 held item.

SimonFlash wrote:some versions of pixelmon have stealth rocks bugged

Both 4.1.1 and 3.5.1 have Stealth Rock working correctly.
By AcedDunsparce
#165501 Anyways, looked through what you guys have said, and I have to say a couple things.

Hypnosis/Ancient Power/Shadow Ball/Giga Drain

Well, this depends. Hypnosis might buy you a couple of turns of speed boost, but it's low accuracy is costly, unless your running wide lens Yanmega, though even then, 66% accuracy is too little for me. The Ancient Power boost is outstanding, along with the coverage, but you'd find trouble even getting super effective KOs, even with Modest Nature. Shadow Ball I find not very needed, considering your other options. Giga Drain is an amazing move, although, Yanmega's coverage would be just about the same without this. Also, Giga Drain might find issues with neutral and super effective KOs.

Jolteon is the more reliable of the two, as the majority of it's common attacks (Volt Switch, T-bolt, and HP Ice) makes for an easy OHKO. Barring scarf variants, Yanmega will outspeed after Speed Boost procs (Modest or Timid).

Thank you for mentioning this. Choice Scarf and Specs Jolteon are very common in usage. Scarf Jolteon will out speed and revenge kill Yanmega easily.

SimonFlash wrote:
T-Tar is a bit more sketchy, but has the larger payoff being a common user of Dragon Dance.

Dragon Dance backfires against Yanmega as it can continue to outspeed due to Speed Boost.

Yes, but If they get a predictions on you to get 1 speed boost, and assuming this Tyranitar is not holding an assault vest (because it's not in the game), T-Tar with Sand Stream will pleasurably live with the 30% Boost Sp. Def in the Sandstorm.It can kill the Yanmega, and potentially do damage to the rest of the team.

-Yanmega's physical Defense (which is what most priority moves hit) is actually quite decent for an offensive Pokémon. Priority is definitely an option to bypass Speed Boost, but Yanmega needs to be weakened a fair bit before most priority moves can KO it, even with relatively strong ones like Ice Shard Mamoswine.

Yes, but nothing would want to eat this.

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 195-229 (62.3 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Though,

252+ SpA Life Orb Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mamoswine: 328-386 (91.3 - 107.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

But... 50%, you never know.

Also, if they feel comfortable about living, this is also a nice 1 for 1 trade.

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yanmega: 413-486 (131.9 - 155.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-Jolteon loses if it switches into Bug Buzz as the switch turn will allow Yanmega to get a Speed Boost. This makes it a check and not a counter.

Revenge Scarf variants, assuming you didn't protect last turn, or if you have the move itself.

As a final note, I suggest putting the remaining 4 ev's into Def or SpDef depending on your team, not HP. It is more beneficial to keep an odd HP, as the damage from Rocks, Toxic, and other % moves (moves that deal damage relative to max or current HP). I also believe that some versions of pixelmon have stealth rocks bugged, so that may not be possible.

Agreed, putting 4 into Sp Def would be my choice. It's special defense stat is lowered, so it might be able to live something with very few HP at the least.

Anyways, my competitive gears were grinding, so here are some simple suggestions.
By Some Body
AcedDunsparce wrote:Yes, but If they get a predictions on you to get 1 speed boost, and assuming this Tyranitar is not holding an assault vest (because it's not in the game), T-Tar with Sand Stream will pleasurably live with the 30% Boost Sp. Def in the Sandstorm.It can kill the Yanmega, and potentially do damage to the rest of the team.

While it's true that Tyranitar can switch into a predicted Protect and win, the fact that it cannot switch into Bug Buzz and win means that it's no longer a counter, only a check. Also, the Sandstorm Sp. Def boost is 50%.
AcedDunsparce wrote:Yes, but nothing would want to eat this.

The Mamoswine mention was there to illustrate a point. While obviously Yanmega won't like an Ice Shard, the fact that it survives the move even after 2 rounds of Life Orb damage means that its Defense isn't as poor as the analysis makes it out to be. Other than that, the analysis mentioned priority in general rather than just Mamoswine, and other priority moves will need even more prior damage to pick off Yanmega.
AcedDunsparce wrote:- SpD Mamoswine

You pulled this set right off of Gen 6 without checking it. Mamoswine can run Naive there because of Freeze-Dry, but that move doesn't exist in Gen 5 so Mamoswine doesn't have any reason to lower its Sp. Def.

If you're insisting on the 1v1, Mamoswine can still lose without the lowered Sp. Def if it has no HP investment and Yanmega carries Giga Drain, as it does over 90% at worst and has a 50% chance to OHKO. Your typical Life Orb Mamoswine will KO itself with Life Orb damage if manages to live the hit, so Ice Shard will cause it to lose and Icicle Crash will cause a literal 1-for-1 trade as both sides will be KOed.
AcedDunsparce wrote:Revenge Scarf variants, assuming you didn't protect last turn, or if you have the move itself.

Bug Buzz on switch-in, Protect, and outspeed at +2 Speed with Bug Buzz for the KO. The existence of this situation that makes it possible for Scarf Jolteon to lose makes it a check and not a counter.
By AcedDunsparce
AcedDunsparce wrote:
0- SpD Mamoswine

Some Body wrote:
You pulled this set right off of Gen 6 without checking it. Mamoswine can run Naive there because of Freeze-Dry, but that move doesn't exist in Gen 5 so Mamoswine doesn't have any reason to lower its Sp. Def.

If you're insisting on the 1v1, Mamoswine can still lose without the lowered Sp. Def if it has no HP investment and Yanmega carries Giga Drain, as it does over 90% at worst and has a 50% chance to OHKO. Your typical Life Orb Mamoswine will KO itself with Life Orb damage if manages to live the hit, so Ice Shard will cause it to lose and Icicle Crash will cause a literal 1-for-1 trade as both sides will be KOed.

Yes, I did just pull this up. I don't use Mamoswine myself, and this was just for illustration. I'm not trying to say Mamoswine is a Counter, it's a check. I'm showing this for just how much damage a max invested Mamoswine would do to a Yanmega, considering the EVs are in Sp Def.
By Shadowkirby
#165654 I like using a Choice Specs Yanmega set with Tinted Lens ability. It's more gimmicky, but it works really well and catches the opponent off-guard.

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Ancient Power / Hidden Power Ice / U-Turn

If Stealth Rocks are up, Dragonite dies to 2 Bug Buzz from Yanmega, meaning it can't switch into it at all. This set is just extremely hard to switch into against, especially if Rocks or Spikes are up. The 4th move can either be a filler move, or it can be U-Turn for switch initiative.

Also, if you're interested, I'm Jr. Admin on a server and I made a Tierlist and a Competitive Battling Guide, where I analyse certain Pokemon. If you want, I can send the link to that thread ?
JOIN THE TEAM