Discussion on any aspect of competitive Pixelmon.
By AcedDunsparce
#167333 Since Tyceus has been dealing with some IRL stuff, I've decided to make a quick guide for anyone who actually patrols this subforum. This guide is not an official guide, as the ones Tyceus makes himself. Rather, just something as a placeholder until he's all back and good :-D ! In the case that you actually want more of these quick sets, I'll make more. I'm only human, and I make mistakes. Please just leave constructive criticism if you find any mishaps, or just leave suggestions below. Though, let me explain what these actually are.

If you look at one of the Official Guides, a lot of effort is put into them, Locations, Movesets, Checks, Counters, Weaknesses, ect. Though, this is just a compressed version of that, focusing more on the actual set of the Pokemon rather then, say, the Counters and Checks. I think I've said that well enough, let me start.

Today, I'll be reviewing Serperior, the Regal Pokemon.

HP 75
Attack 75

Defense 95
Sp. Atk 75
Sp. Def 95
Speed 113

Weaknesses (x2): Fire, Flying, Ice, Bug, and Poison.

Resistances (½x): Water, Electric, Grass, and Ground.

Alright, I'll stop with the colors Some Body 8-) .

Anyways, Serperior's stats are lacking, except in it's speed stat, which gives it a decent advantage over the current Pixelmon Meta. When looking at it's abilities, Contrary and Overgrow, you choice is obvious. Contrary, where stat changes are reversed *cough Leaf S *Cough* torm. Since Contrary is Serperior's Hidden Ability, I will also be giving a set for an Overgrow Serperior as well.

Set 1: Contrary Life Orb

Now, A question I might get is "How do you get Contrary?". Well, there is (by default) a 1/150 (0.00666666666%) chance to find one of these guys in the wild. Essentially, you'll have to be committed and dedicated to get one of these in-game.

Here's what you'll want.

Ability: Contrary
Item: Life Orb
Moves: Leaf Storm, Dragon Pulse, Giga Drain, and [Filler]
IVS: 31 in everything except Attack
EVS: 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, and 4 in Defense or Special Defense.
Nature: Timid

I've already explained Contrary, so nothing new there.

Yet, the Life Orb, and very powerful item. You sacrifice some of your health to boost your attack by 30%. You Leaf Storm now hits for 182 Base Damage... Plus the STAB Bonus... Yikes. Then you get into the stat boosts... Yes, if used right, Serperior can hit like a truck.

The moves are meant to build Serperior's Coverage as much as possible. Leaf Storm for your base STAB, Giga Drain to heal the damage you'll take from the Life Orb and other Attacks you might take, and Dragon Pulse for Dragon Coverage. The last spot really depends. Your last option is the more preferred HP Fire, or Rock. Some other options are Taunt, to shut down set-up Pokemon, and Glare, to paralyze Pokemon that out-speed you.

Now, here's any amazing quote from Crits. It may help you a bit. Actually, you should use this more then HP rock, coming to realize this.

CritsAreFair wrote:All in all I agree with pretty much everything you've said about our favourite grass snake of death except one minor thing; Contrary Serperior should always be packing Hidden Power Fire, because it's his only way of dealing with Steel types, especially ones like Scizor, Forretress, and Skarmory who can weather even +6 Leaf Storms and do major damage in return. This requires you to run an IV spread of 31/30/31/30/31/30 (that is, 30 in Attack, Special Attack, and Speed) but the loss of 1 point in Speed actually doesn't matter for Serperior as much as it does for other Pokemon because of his unique Speed tier (113). The only other base 113 Speed Pokemon he'll ever encounter are Whimiscott and other Serperior, and he actually has an advantage over Serperior running 31 Speed because they won't have Hidden Power Fire.

IVs are pretty self explanatory. Since you have no Physically based Moves, there's no point to putting IVs into Attack. If you are running a Hidden Power, you will not have perfect 31 IVS, rather you will have 30s and 31s. Let me give the IVs for HP Fire and Rock.

Fire: 31/2/31/30/31/30
Rock: 31/2/30/31/30/30

EVs are slightly more complicated, but not too much harder. Since you want the most amount of Speed and Special Attack, you put 252 into each. The last 4 points don't matter, so you can put those into Defense or Special Defense. Not into HP or Attack though because you don't have any Physical Based Moves, and you want an odd number HP so you take less damage from Spikes, Stealth Rocks, Burn, Poison, ect.

Finally, the nature. Since Pokemon will still out-speed you, you'll want Timid, in case they are getting greedy and running a non-speed boosting nature.

Set 2: Bulky Regeneration Set

Ability: Overgrow
Item: Leftovers
Moves: Giga Drain, Synthesis, Leech Seed, Taunt/Glare
IVS: 31 in everything except Attack
EVS: 104 HP, 252 Defense, and 152 Special Defense.
Nature: Calm

Well, Overgrow is new. Being exclusive to only Grass Starters, when your HP is below 1/3 of it's Maximum. Not too important since we aren't looking to sweep anything.

The Leftovers item is an amazing item that recovers some of your HP back every turn. Mostly used on walls or tanks, it can be life saving to be held on your Pokemon. As much as I love this item, it's simplicity leaves this section to an end.

The Moves are essential for keeping Serperior alive. Synthesis allows for it to heal back the damage it will take from other Pokemon where Leech Seed does the same. Giga Drain does your damage wile gaining some more HP back for you. This Serperior pretty much never stops healing. Finally, if you want to shut down a Set-Up Pokemon, using Taunt will be your way to go, but If you want to Paralyze your opponents team, then Glare is the way to go.

The IVs on Serperior are the same as the Life Orb set. You don't have any physically based moves, so you don't need Attack.

The EVs are more complicated then before. I balanced them out, just so you aren't weaker on one side of the stats then the other. The EV spread I gave Serperior will maximize it's Defensive Potential, trust me ;).

Anyways, I think that's about it! If you have any suggestions, leave them below! Constructive Criticism! Also, Huge Thanks to CritsAreFair for helping add potential to this forum post!

~Aced

By CritsAreFair
#167336 Nice guide! It's nice to see some more people finally getting involved in the competitive section.

All in all I agree with pretty much everything you've said about our favourite grass snake of death except one minor thing; Contrary Serperior should always be packing Hidden Power Fire, because it's his only way of dealing with Steel types, especially ones like Scizor, Forretress, and Skarmory who can weather even +6 Leaf Storms and do major damage in return. This requires you to run an IV spread of 31/30/31/30/31/30 (that is, 30 in Attack, Special Attack, and Speed) but the loss of 1 point in Speed actually doesn't matter for Serperior as much as it does for other Pokemon because of his unique Speed tier (113). The only other base 113 Speed Pokemon he'll ever encounter are Whimiscott and other Serperior, and he actually has an advantage over Serperior running 31 Speed because they won't have Hidden Power Fire.
By AcedDunsparce
CritsAreFair wrote:Nice guide! It's nice to see some more people finally getting involved in the competitive section.

All in all I agree with pretty much everything you've said about our favourite grass snake of death except one minor thing; Contrary Serperior should always be packing Hidden Power Fire, because it's his only way of dealing with Steel types, especially ones like Scizor, Forretress, and Skarmory who can weather even +6 Leaf Storms and do major damage in return. This requires you to run an IV spread of 31/30/31/30/31/30 (that is, 30 in Attack, Special Attack, and Speed) but the loss of 1 point in Speed actually doesn't matter for Serperior as much as it does for other Pokemon because of his unique Speed tier (113). The only other base 113 Speed Pokemon he'll ever encounter are Whimiscott and other Serperior, and he actually has an advantage over Serperior running 31 Speed because they won't have Hidden Power Fire.

I'm surprised I didn't think of that considering I run Serperior on every team I use pretty much. I'll add this as a quote with some credit for you. How does that sound :) !
By Some Body
AcedDunsparce wrote:Well, there is (by default) a 1/150 (0.00666666666%) chance to find one of these guys in the wild, or by breeding.

Breeding a Hidden Ability requires you to find one in the wild first. This sentence makes it seem like you can get it without doing that.
AcedDunsparce wrote:Leaf Storm now hits for 169 Base Damage

Pixelmon is based on Gen 5 mechanics, so Leaf Storm still has 140 BP, bumping the Life Orb power up to 182.
AcedDunsparce wrote:give Serperior Hidden Power Rock, it'll cover for 4 of your weaknesses (because you have a 0.001133333333333339% in getting Contrary and Hidden Power Rock, don't waste your time breeding for this)

While HP Fire has more utility and has already been discussed, HP Rock has some use if you despise Volcarona (or less competitively inclined people using things like Charizard). While it's certainly a chore to breed a decently powered Hidden Power, it is doable. A mention of the difficulty without actively discouraging it would better suit a competitive guide.
AcedDunsparce wrote:Wring Out, for when your in your Last Resort
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Wring Out has the highest power when your opponent is at full HP, having nothing to do with your own HP. As a Normal-type move it's not a very useful coverage move, and if your opponent isn't very close to full health then chances are Dragon Pulse (or Leaf Storm even if resisted) would do more damage anyway. Taunt and Glare are both much more consistent options.
AcedDunsparce wrote:Set 2: Bulky Regeneration Set

While it is mentioned once that this set is only given because Hidden Abilities are rare, it wouldn't hurt to put more stress on that in this set's details. Serperior's main niche is Contrary Leaf Storm, and any sort of dedicated defensive set isn't particularly good due to pure Grass having five weaknesses and Serperior's defenses being decent but not amazing.
By AcedDunsparce
Some Body wrote:
AcedDunsparce wrote:Well, there is (by default) a 1/150 (0.00666666666%) chance to find one of these guys in the wild, or by breeding.

Breeding a Hidden Ability requires you to find one in the wild first. This sentence makes it seem like you can get it without doing that.
AcedDunsparce wrote:Leaf Storm now hits for 169 Base Damage

Pixelmon is based on Gen 5 mechanics, so Leaf Storm still has 140 BP, bumping the Life Orb power up to 182.
AcedDunsparce wrote:give Serperior Hidden Power Rock, it'll cover for 4 of your weaknesses (because you have a 0.001133333333333339% in getting Contrary and Hidden Power Rock, don't waste your time breeding for this)

While HP Fire has more utility and has already been discussed, HP Rock has some use if you despise Volcarona (or less competitively inclined people using things like Charizard). While it's certainly a chore to breed a decently powered Hidden Power, it is doable. A mention of the difficulty without actively discouraging it would better suit a competitive guide.
AcedDunsparce wrote:Wring Out, for when your in your Last Resort
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Wring Out has the highest power when your opponent is at full HP, having nothing to do with your own HP. As a Normal-type move it's not a very useful coverage move, and if your opponent isn't very close to full health then chances are Dragon Pulse (or Leaf Storm even if resisted) would do more damage anyway. Taunt and Glare are both much more consistent options.
AcedDunsparce wrote:Set 2: Bulky Regeneration Set

While it is mentioned once that this set is only given because Hidden Abilities are rare, it wouldn't hurt to put more stress on that in this set's details. Serperior's main niche is Contrary Leaf Storm, and any sort of dedicated defensive set isn't particularly good due to pure Grass having five weaknesses and Serperior's defenses being decent but not amazing.

Thank you! I added these ideas to the post. Since I am more affiliated with Gen 6 mechanics, I made some mistakes I patched up. I'll be giving you some credit. I'm putting more emphasis and detail onto the 2nd Set after seeing your point. Although, this guide is supposed to be straight to the point.
By Some Body
#167456 Just noting that your Hidden Power IVs are wrong. Both HP Fire and HP Rock require an imperfect Speed IV.

Fire: 31/2/31/30/31/30
Rock: 31/2/30/31/30/30

Optimally, the lowest Attack IV possible (for 70 power) is used to minimize damage from confusion and Foul Play.
By Shadowkirby
#167968 Serperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Leaf Blade
- Aqua Tail
- Synthesis / Outrage

This is a "different" set for Serperior. I used it some time already, and I really like it :P
By AcedDunsparce
Shadowkirby wrote:Serperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Leaf Blade
- Aqua Tail
- Synthesis / Outrage

This is a "different" set for Serperior. I used it some time already, and I really like it :P

This looks like something I would've used back in generation 5. Simple, but effective.
JOIN THE TEAM