Discussion on any aspect of competitive Pixelmon.
By SGFTI
#168385 So I've been through a bunch of servers and the competition seems lacking on most of them. I am seeking a place where tournaments are regular, competition is difficult and winning is fulfilling. Also, a place that's stable without resets.

Some other things I'm looking for but are less important:
Adult community.
Language and topic freedom.
High playerbase.
Good mods outside of Pixelmon, like McMMO.
Ability to acquire enough land for a significant base of operations.
Multiple /homes.
No P2W crap.

By PigLover1202
#168392 I understand that this is your own recommendations and you want what you want, but 80% of all Pixelmon servers are kid-friendly, for one reason:

Minecraft and Pokemon are both children's games.

A lot of children play these two games, and with both mashed together, the mod excels in popularity. This is why many servers make them kid-friendly, to get a bigger community, as not too many adults seem to play these games, especially parents.

As for the competitive server, I don't know of too many of those out there. Sure, there are a few but having everyone be so competitive can be a bad thing. It's not very wise to start talking a ton of battling strategies and stuff like that to a 10-year old kid who just joined the server. The tournament thing kind of throws me off. I would like to know what you mean by "tournaments are regular". Also, "lacking" isn't the word I would use. I would say they are just a bunch of fun servers for anyone to play to just have fun and not stress.

It's really hard to get other mods to be compatible with Pixelmon for a few reasons:
1. In Pixelmon, mobs are turned off. So that means that any mods with new mobs in them is out. McMMO is cool, but not for Pixelmon.
2. Lag. Lots and lots of lag. Pixelmon itself is pretty laggy but with other mods installed, such as crazy ones like Twilight Forest would be near impossible to play on for anyone without a good computer.

Servers don't want the entire world claimed in just a few months, therefor, no new players could build a house. Multiple homes is made for the purpose that again, no new players would have space to build there homes.

That's all I have to say, but you can stick with what you want to do. I did not make this post to be rude or disrespectful in any way.

Sincerely, Piggy
By MoeBoy76
PigLover1202 wrote: as not too many adults seem to play these games, especially parents.

there are several parents that play on beta1, sometimes their kids play but mostly they play on their own
PigLover1202 wrote:It's really hard to get other mods to be compatible with Pixelmon for a few reasons:
1. In Pixelmon, mobs are turned off. So that means that any mods with new mobs in them is out. McMMO is cool, but not for Pixelmon.
2. Lag. Lots and lots of lag. Pixelmon itself is pretty laggy but with other mods installed, such as crazy ones like Twilight Forest would be near impossible to play on for anyone without a good computer.

a couple of extra points:
1) McMMO is a bukkit/spigot plugin, which means it isn't compatible with Pixelmon until it ports to Sponge.
2) Apart from 1.8's excessive RAM usage (which is what causes said "lag"), many mods are still not updated to 1.8 (MCF list does have over 400 though) and many players just want to install Pixelmon and hop on a server so if there are other mods they are far less likely to play and the server will fail.
3) It is highly unlikely that you will find a server that does not have some form of P2W/"Donation Store", owners simply won't fork out $$$ just so people can enjoy their server.
PigLover1202 wrote:Servers don't want the entire world claimed in just a few months, therefor, no new players could build a house. Multiple homes is made for the purpose that again, no new players would have space to build there homes.

While this is a good point, it is my opinion that players should have access to multiple homes so that they can have their home, mine and then something else (the bird Shrines are a popular choice)
By wop0911
#168405 All I'm saying is I'm a grandfather and I still play this. Pokemon has always intrigued me and my teenage son got me into Minecraft. We players come in all shapes and ages.
By AcedDunsparce
#168407 I understand your frustration. Though, your requirements are exact. About 4/5 - 9/10 of servers are kid oriented just because around 75%~ is 18- playing Minecraft. Now realistically, the competitive aspect is just because people are too lazy to train and obtain these powerful Pokemon. If your looking for a place to go, try playing with some of you friends who are interested in competitive via. LAN if you have the option too.

~Skeley
By SGFTI
PigLover1202 wrote:I would like to know what you mean by "tournaments are regular".

I previously played on a server that had weekly server tournaments, as well as constant challenges of the current champion. (Which basically went back and forth between me and another guy.)

Unfortunately that server did a full wipe with no compensation, half the population left and I decided to join the half.

That server also managed to run McMMO successfully with minimal hiccups, so I've seen it be done. I understand it is problematic for the most part, but if a good server has gotten it to run harmoniously I would be interested.

There's a reason there's a separation between the two big things I'm looking for and the things of lesser importance, I'm aware of the difficulties finding them. That's why I'm here asking.
By bagebers123
#168432 The server I'm an admin on has a small playerbase but it's one of the most competitive servers out there. Right now we're looking for skilled Gym Leaders and it's a fun server to be on. Other then the playerbase the server checks everything else you're looking for. The IP is play.pokeheavenmc.us. Once we get more players (Or we get to 1.8) we will try to have tournaments at least twice a month and we also hold a seperate draft league known as the PCL. anyways if you want to check out a competitve server with a small player base check out our forums or come on and have a nice competitive chat with us :D.
By bagebers123
#168433 Also can you be a bit more descriptive about Play to Win. Do you mean like minimize Unaware Clef or lvl 1 Aron? Cause if that's the case then no we don't do that stuff. We're a lot more like Smogon.
By DarkLeone3122
#168513 Yo, just wanted to let you know that the server "Mergic Pixelmon" is a competitive-based server with competitive, player-run, and dual-typed gyms. It's also got McMMO, and open land with a large amount of claim blocks. Also, default players have access to 3 /homes. I'll PM you some more details.
JOIN THE TEAM