By bvanseghi
#179684 I was inspired to make this Flying Gym by TheOmniAdam's previous flying gym. it is a Bird Cage with a tree in the center.

You can see the Bird Cage for yourself by downloading it, and dropping it under your "saves" file.
(NOTE: You must have Minecraft 1.8.9 or higher to use this world without worry of corruption!).
Link to download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/eejpcposuia0qss/Flying+Gym.zip

Images are located here: http://imgur.com/a/Rhjrb

NOTE: This gym is 35x30 due to the protruding entrance. Luckily, there is a hefty amount of air in this build, so removing that should make implementation easier (and doesn't change anything ingame).

If the minor extrusion is really a big deal, I can gladly cut it. It just may not look as good, keep that in mind.

After beating the gym leader at the very top, the player breaks the Sea Lantern in the middle of the pokeball and falls all the way down, landing safely in the water below.

The idea is that the trainers will be lurking in the branches. You need to jump from branch to branch in order to get to the top. Beware of the height. Soar high or fall and die...

The path to the gym leader is 100% accessible, albeit some branches being extremely difficult to jump, requiring good timing.

I did not add the trainers, gym leader, or the fancy door. I do not work with NPCs or redstone/command blocks. However, I did make the entrance bulky enough so that redstone could be sneaked in. If someone could do that, please, that would be splendid.

UPDATE: Newer pictures here. The Dirt block at the top was replaced with a Sea Lantern.

By bvanseghi
#179691 I already fixed it and hm. I'm not familiar with Imgur, let me redo the album. Hold on.
By bvanseghi
#179692 The album should now be view-able. Sorry about that!
By TheOmniAdam
#179697 I like it a lot!

My first reaction was encased in stone and iron bars throws off the flying theme but I think it comes across well as a Bird Cage from afar which is how a player would come across the thing in the wild for sure.

Certainly not a gripe with this map- but don't you wish there was a log block with exterior bark on all faces so you can make those roots without random "chopped log" faces peppered throughout? always drove me nuts since they first allowed multi-directional-facing logs in MC (I immediately tried to make the great Deku Tree, haha).
By bvanseghi
#179699 I actually like the log blocks, it seems more chaotic, more out of control, which was the look I was going for. Notice the broken parts of the cage, due to the tree growing beyond its containment.

This design allowed for me to utilize the top of the cage as the climax of the gym, with the gym leader.

The logs play a small part in this. It looks random, and that is good. It would be worse if the logs did NOT look random, thus making the tree look synthetic. Rather, it currently looks like it was turned into a structure.

Hahah, yeah, I was going for the Deku Tree look as well, good catch XD
By bvanseghi
#182258 bump
By MrMasochism
#182268 sorry about the lack of activity on gyms. The guy I had who was adding gyms into the mod has disappeared so I have to pick them all up myself when I get some time
By bvanseghi
#182287 MrM, apologizing to ME? Nonsense! I have *some* idea of what you guys have on your plate, being a mod owner myself.

I only bumped because I was hoping to gather more opinions without using other possibly annoying means.

Hope everything works out okay with that anonymous gym implementer.

Keep up the splendid work. Beta 5 is amazing!
By TheOmniAdam
#182355 I think we all definitely get how busy things are for mods. I know the main reason I want feedback is to know if the direction my designs go are something the team wants or something you guys would pass on so I know if I should be polishing a project or moving on.

You guys are doing great work- we just want to be a part of that.
JOIN THE TEAM