Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By riotpopper
#110543 I've noticed a few people who are having trouble finding competitive pokemon for their teams, so here I think we should all brainstorm for awhile and list out top 3 picks for best competitive pokemon in Pixelmon.
Also let's keep this non legendary, since gyms are below level 70 and most people fight around level 50.

My picks:
(One being best, 3 being 3rd best...)

3.) Aerodactyl: Honestly, this pokemon is great. High base speed, Different element fangs for coverage, high attack. It's a great pokemon. I would suggest Jolly Nature, Adamant if you run with a Choice Scarf. He dies to a single ice beam often, so it is important you hit first.

2.) Lapras: This pokemon is insane. At the moment it is one of the tankiest pokemon in Pixelmon. Couple that with it's Thunder, Ice Beam, and Brine, it is a force to be reckoned with. Give it Choice Specs, since choice Specs don't lock you into moves yet. It's intensely powerful. Calm or Modest Nature.

1.) Snorlax: Intense Special defense, Crunch, Brick Break, STAB Giga Impact if you're taking risks, Rest, Leftovers. This pokemon is insane. If Munchlax is added and you can teach it Stockpile then it will be top tier forever.

Honorable Mentions:
Arbok: Good speed, ok attack, it learns the different elemental fangs as well which is useful for coverage. Choice Band on this pokemon is a guaranteed 1-2 hit KO.

Drifblim: Stockpile for +1 Def +1 SP Def, Minimize for increased Evasion, then Shadow Ball and Will o Wisp. this pokemon is intense if it gets it's defenses stacked. Though before it's defense is increased with Stockpile it has low defense stats.

Mr.Mime: Have you seen this thing?! 100 Special Attack, 120 Special defense, 90Speed. Plus Light Screen, Reflect, Psychic and Substitute. Give this thing a Leftovers and it will wall ANY Fireblast, ANY Thunder, ANY Special attack, I'd wager it would survive a super effective Shadow ball, at least once. But at 40 HP and 65 Defense do not let it take a physical hit with no Barrier.

Dragonite: Until Salamence is added Dragonite is the big bad dragon. Insane attack, good speed, great bulk, he is truly kind og dragons (until Salamence is added)

Nidoking: Have you seen the Special attack and move pool on him? Thunder, Flame Thrower, Earth Power, Surf. Kills everything, it's intense. With Choice Specs he is insanely strong.

Porygon: He is pretty good, albeit hard to obtain. Once abilities are added and you can get Porygon2/Z he will be a must have.

Aggron: STAB Iron Tail plus a Choice Band. You're killing whatever you hit.

Torterra: Ground/Grass with insane physical attack. Not to mention Synthesis and Leech seed. Give him Earthquake, a physical grass move of some sort, and leftovers and he will never die.

Swampert: Wait, you mean I could have a powerful water type AND be invincible to electric types? Gimme dat STAB Earthquake and Muddy Water, here comes this beast.

Eevee Evolutions: All are great. Honorable mention for Vaporeon because it is super tanky, and atm Tanky pokemon dominate Pixelmon. Leftovers + Aqua Ring means invincible pokemon. Plus an Ice Beam to stop those pesky grass types from killing you.

Ninetales: Super fast, Will o Wisp, Energy Ball (Grass move) to kill water types that counter it, and it outspeeds most of the water types in the game atm.

Gyrados: Insane attack, amazing speed. Jolly Nature will guarantee you will take out your target.

Gengar: He is ok, but too many weaknesses. With no Abilities implemented he doesnot have Levitate, which means ground type moves 1 hit KO him, Psychic 1 Hit KO him, he isn't very tanky so without Levitate he is too easily countered. Though Hypnosis + Dream Eater can be painful, I dont think Dream Eater absorbs hp yet.

Rhydon: He is ok, nice defense, neat move pool. It's nice to throw a super effective thunder or surf at someone without them expecting it, but overall meh.

Khangaskhan: Strong, bulky, and since fighting moves aren't that common yet it is a strong choice.

Electrode: Explosion, Self Destruct, all it is good for but damn does it do well.

Golem: Rock Slide, EarthQuake, Explosion. Nuff said.

I hope everyone else shares their top 3, and when Pixelmon 3.0 comes out feel free to revise your list accordingly. Add more than 3 if you have more.

Feel free to ask me about certain pokemon and I will gladly post some strategies I think up.

By joshua_DA
#110564 Gengar is OK!?!?!?!?! sir sir, i think you have underestimated it......
ev train a timid gengar in sp atk and spd and see what it gets you to...

results:
-oh look, alakzam... shadow ball to the face! ( be wary though of timid alakzams...)
-is that a swampert coming in to do shit to you? energy ball him to oblivion!
-snorlax ya say? a lucky focus blast wrecks it. (though this is gimmicky for gengar imo)
-a dragon pokemon? let me significantly lower his hp with thunderbolt before i die...
also, a hypnosis/counfuse ray+hex combo works good IMO for that extra punch in attacking( if you dont get it/fail) xD
all in all, gengar has amazing speed, sp attack and coverage to cover up for its pitiful bulk (snorlax walls it though) this is the reason it is still in smogon OU for generations.

golem: gengar+energy ball (basically any fast pokemon with a learnable grass attack)=dead golem.
aggron: basically any pokemon with average speed and earthquake destroys it (the worst part is many pokemon learn earthquake)

now for my top 3:

3. jolteon: modest/timid ev trained in sp attack and spd and oh boy does it bitch slap things who dont resist a thunderbolt to the face,,,,,(plus a shadow ball) it could even 1 hit KO a rayquaza with a modest thunderbolt.

2. swampert/starmie: they have the same place in my top 3 cause they both do their purpose, to sweep. swampert sweeps by tanking damage and killing most things with earthquake/hammer arm/muddywater/scald coverage in pixelmon while starmie sweeps plenty of things (including dragons) with the popular thunderbolt+ice beam coverage!
since there are hms in 3.0, id recommend you start using waterfall as swamperts main water type attack since its a physical attacker.

1.snorlax: basically tank+sweep teams before you die/get hit by a fighting move. make life worse for them by either getting an adamant(for punching things to death) or impish (for walling things to death)
By riotpopper
#110670 Ok, I'll admit Gengar is better than ok :P Though I hope it gets Levitate eventually.

And I totally forgot about Alakazam, he is a total wrecking machine as long as he doesn't get hit too hard.

I'll have to check out Starmie, I've honestly never used one before.

Also kind of a side question, does Baton Pass work in Pixelmon yet?
By Some Body
#110695 Just some things I disagree on.

riotpopper wrote:Aerodactyl: Honestly, this pokemon is great. High base speed, Different element fangs for coverage, high attack. It's a great pokemon. I would suggest Jolly Nature, Adamant if you run with a Choice Scarf. He dies to a single ice beam often, so it is important you hit first.

The elemental fangs all have a low base power, which means that a super-effective fang is less powerful than a neutral Stone Edge. They may have situational uses, like Ice Fang for Flygon, but generally they aren't very useful. Aerodactyl also has better coverage moves like Earthquake.

riotpopper wrote:Lapras: This pokemon is insane. At the moment it is one of the tankiest pokemon in Pixelmon. Couple that with it's Thunder, Ice Beam, and Brine, it is a force to be reckoned with. Give it Choice Specs, since choice Specs don't lock you into moves yet. It's intensely powerful. Calm or Modest Nature.

Thunder misses too often; use Thunderbolt.

Brine is weak, so use Hydro Pump or wait for Pixelmon 3.0 to teach it Surf.

Lapras also only has 85 Special Attack, which is decent but not amazing (even with Choice Specs), and you're overselling its power.

If you're going to use a Calm nature, then you should use a more defensive set. For your purposes, go with Modest.

riotpopper wrote:Snorlax: Intense Special defense, Crunch, Brick Break, STAB Giga Impact if you're taking risks, Rest, Leftovers. This pokemon is insane. If Munchlax is added and you can teach it Stockpile then it will be top tier forever.

Don't use Giga Impact; it's not worth the free turn you give to your opponent. Use Return instead.

Brick Break isn't very helpful as a super-effective Brick Break only does the same amount of damage as a neutral Return. If you need to hit Rock and Steel types, use Earthquake.

Rest leaves your opponent with two free turns to set up or switch to a counter. Since Sleep Talk doesn't work yet and there's no Chesto Berry, it's not worth it most of the time, especially as you're using Snorlax offensively.

riotpopper wrote:Arbok: Good speed, ok attack, it learns the different elemental fangs as well which is useful for coverage. Choice Band on this pokemon is a guaranteed 1-2 hit KO.

80 Speed and 85 Attack isn't great, and the rest of its stats aren't amazing either. The fangs are once again rather weak. Ice Fang may hit Ground-types, but the other fangs aren't of much note. Earthquake is a better coverage move that Arbok gets as well. You're not 2HKOing everything with Arbok.

riotpopper wrote:Drifblim: Stockpile for +1 Def +1 SP Def, Minimize for increased Evasion, then Shadow Ball and Will o Wisp. this pokemon is intense if it gets it's defenses stacked. Though before it's defense is increased with Stockpile it has low defense stats.

The problem here is that, due to Drifblim's low defenses, you don't usually have time to set up all of these stats before you die unless you get lucky and all of your opponent's attacks miss (which doesn't always happen). Drifblim isn't particularly strong either, with a Special Attack of only 90, so you'll still be taking hits.

riotpopper wrote:Mr.Mime: Have you seen this thing?! 100 Special Attack, 120 Special defense, 90Speed. Plus Light Screen, Reflect, Psychic and Substitute. Give this thing a Leftovers and it will wall ANY Fireblast, ANY Thunder, ANY Special attack, I'd wager it would survive a super effective Shadow ball, at least once. But at 40 HP and 65 Defense do not let it take a physical hit with no Barrier.

Reflect has not been implemented yet.

Mr. Mime may have great Special Defense, but its HP is still bad, and lack of reliable recovery outside of Rest means that it can be worn down quickly, so you can't just keep tanking forever. A strong physical attack will kill it instantly.

riotpopper wrote:Nidoking: Have you seen the Special attack and move pool on him? Thunder, Flame Thrower, Earth Power, Surf. Kills everything, it's intense. With Choice Specs he is insanely strong.

Nidoking can't learn Surf until Pixelmon 3.0.

Without the existence of Sheer Force, Nidoking's Special Attack is only 85, which is decent but not as amazing as you're making it.

Use Thunderbolt instead of Thunder.

You're not killing everything. Many Psychic types are faster than you and OHKO you.

riotpopper wrote:Porygon: He is pretty good, albeit hard to obtain. Once abilities are added and you can get Porygon2/Z he will be a must have.

While Porygon's evolutions are pretty good, regular old Porygon is not, as it has mediocre stats.

riotpopper wrote:Aggron: STAB Iron Tail plus a Choice Band. You're killing whatever you hit.

Iron Tail misses too often. Use Heavy Slam or Iron Head.

You're not killing everything. Fighting, Ground, and Water attacks will kill it, and it's also easily outsped.

riotpopper wrote:Torterra: Ground/Grass with insane physical attack. Not to mention Synthesis and Leech seed. Give him Earthquake, a physical grass move of some sort, and leftovers and he will never die.

Unfortunately, Torterra lacks a good physical Grass-type move for now. Wood Hammer is unavailable unless you spawn in a wild Torterra. Razor Leaf is too weak to consider.

It will die to Ice-type moves no matter how much passive recovery you have. You can't tank its other weaknesses (Bug/Fire/Flying) for too long either.

riotpopper wrote:Swampert: Wait, you mean I could have a powerful water type AND be invincible to electric types? Gimme dat STAB Earthquake and Muddy Water, here comes this beast.

For now, use Hydro Pump over Muddy Water. When HMs come out, use Waterfall.

riotpopper wrote:Eevee Evolutions: All are great. Honorable mention for Vaporeon because it is super tanky, and atm Tanky pokemon dominate Pixelmon. Leftovers + Aqua Ring means invincible pokemon. Plus an Ice Beam to stop those pesky grass types from killing you.

Vaporeon still has an Electric-type weaknesses that it's not getting around. Ice Beam isn't a full stop either as many Grass-types have decent Special Defense and are faster than you. It also has low Defense, so strong physical attacks will still wear it down fast.

riotpopper wrote:Ninetales: Super fast, Will o Wisp, Energy Ball (Grass move) to kill water types that counter it, and it outspeeds most of the water types in the game atm.

Ninetales isn't super fast; 100 speed is nice, but not as good as you're making it out to be. Starmie still outspeeds you and Tentacruel speed-ties you and isn't weak to Grass.

riotpopper wrote:Gyrados: Insane attack, amazing speed. Jolly Nature will guarantee you will take out your target.

Gyarados's 81 Speed is far from amazing. You're still outsped by several Electric types like Jolteon.

riotpopper wrote:Gengar: He is ok, but too many weaknesses. With no Abilities implemented he doesnot have Levitate, which means ground type moves 1 hit KO him, Psychic 1 Hit KO him, he isn't very tanky so without Levitate he is too easily countered. Though Hypnosis + Dream Eater can be painful, I dont think Dream Eater absorbs hp yet.

Aerodactyl and Lapras both have 5 weaknesses, while Gengar has 4, so your justification is flawed. You're forgetting Gengar's high Special Attack and Speed.

Don't use Dream Eater; it's not worth it and you give your opponent a free switch out. Hypnosis itself is inaccurate and Gengar works better attacking.

riotpopper wrote:Rhydon: He is ok, nice defense, neat move pool. It's nice to throw a super effective thunder or surf at someone without them expecting it, but overall meh.

Rhydon has 45 Special Attack, which means it's not doing much even with super-effective special attacks. Use Rhydon's physical coverage moves instead.

Again, Thunderbolt, not Thunder.

Surf isn't available until Pixelmon 3.0.

riotpopper wrote:Electrode: Explosion, Self Destruct, all it is good for but damn does it do well.

Electrode has a measly 50 Attack; there are better Pokémon to run Explosion on.

Never use Selfdestruct as everything that learns it learns Explosion too.

riotpopper wrote:Golem: Rock Slide, EarthQuake, Explosion. Nuff said.

Stone Edge is generally a better choice than Rock Slide thanks to its much higher power, more worth it than a 10% accuracy increase.

joshua_DA wrote:snorlax ya say? a lucky focus blast wrecks it. (though this is gimmicky for gengar imo)

Focus Blast is only a 2HKO on Snorlax (and a 49% of hitting both times), while Snorlax can OHKO Gengar with Earthquake, so not quite.

Regardless, Focus Blast is far from a gimmick and is actually an important move on Gengar, helping against Steel, Dark, and Normal types.

joshua_DA wrote:a dragon pokemon? let me significantly lower his hp with thunderbolt before i die...

Dragon resists Electric, so you're better off just using Shadow Ball. Flygon is even immune to Thunderbolt.

joshua_DA wrote:also, a hypnosis/counfuse ray+hex combo works good IMO for that extra punch in attacking( if you dont get it/fail) xD

Hex isn't worth wasting a moveslot or replacing Shadow Ball

Gengar shouldn't waste its time gambling on a 40%/50% chance of Hypnosis/Confuse Ray doing nothing. It should focus on attacking.

joshua_DA wrote:jolteon: modest/timid ev trained in sp attack and spd and oh boy does it bitch slap things who dont resist a thunderbolt to the face,,,,,(plus a shadow ball) it could even 1 hit KO a rayquaza with a modest thunderbolt.

Jolteon is not OHKOing Rayquaza with Thunderbolt. Jolteon's only way of doing that is Hidden Power Ice.

joshua_DA wrote:swampert/starmie: they have the same place in my top 3 cause they both do their purpose, to sweep. swampert sweeps by tanking damage and killing most things with earthquake/hammer arm/muddywater/scald coverage in pixelmon while starmie sweeps plenty of things (including dragons) with the popular thunderbolt+ice beam coverage!

Having both Muddy Water and Scald is wasting a moveslot. Hydro Pump is better than both of them if you're going the offensive route.

riotpopper wrote:Also kind of a side question, does Baton Pass work in Pixelmon yet?

Baton Pass isn't working in the current Pixelmon version, but it has been fixed for a future version (not 3.0, but possibly 3.1).
By Generation_X
#110742 Alright, so a few things I want to point out. First of all, if you doubt my sources, this is me. I've been in the Smogon-Serebii competitive scene for almost 5 years, so I know what I'm talking about a bit.

First of all Choice Scarf Aerodactyl is an awful idea. Aerodactyl's big selling point is that he outpaces a huge number of relevant threats WITHOUT a Scarf. The only reason you'd consider Scarfing him is to get the jump on other Scarf users, and frankly there's better options for that (Starmie and Gengar immediately spring to mind). Choice Band Aerodactyl is perfectly viable however.

Adamant on Aerodactyl again nullifies his best selling point which is his good Speed tier. You want that fully invested positive nature (Jolly for now, when threats such as Ferrothorn and Forretress are implemented Aerodactyl users can consider Hasty to avoid conflicting with Fire Blast) otherwise you find yourself outpaced by things like Alakazam and Sceptile (not to mention base 70 Scarfers, etc), and Aerodactyl's bulk is horrible, so he doesn't like taking hits.

I almost laughed when you mentioned Lapras. Well-versed competitive players know that Lapras isn't worth its weight in fertilizer as a defensive Pokemon. His only niche was a gimmicky Dragon Dance set that isn't even possible in Pixelmon yet. Lapras has a stellar HP stat but a pretty bad Defense and subpar Special Defense, as well as below average typing that leaves him without many resistances and weak to a plethora of common attacking types. Lapras's 130/80/95 bulk leave him 2HKO'd by a LOT and with 85 Attack and 95 Special Attack he fails to get many KOs in return. There's simply no reason to use Lapras. Cloyster makes a better sweeper, Starmie makes a better Choice Specs abuser, and Vaporeon makes a better defensive Pokemon.

Snorlax is actually a decent defensive pivot right now but that's simply because of a lack of sturdy Fighting types (the only things that really bother him are the Hitmon family and the odd nutjob who runs Primape) but don't expect him to stay that way for long. As new Fighting-type threats are introduced he'll find himself forced out much more often, and when Gengar gets his Levitate he will sit there and laugh at you all day long. You also neglected to mention his most dangerous set; Curse Snorlax, although that admittedly will not be possible until egg moves are implemented.

Honestly I don't want to be a jerk but it seems like you don't have much experience with hardcore competitive play. Simply knowing competitive terms and having a rough idea about what it means doesn't infer any competitive experience or the ability to predict tiers when the metagame is still so formative.

If you'd like to know my opinion, there's a few Pokemon I'd like to point out as top threats. But remember top threat status is subject to change as new threats are introduced. For example Dragonite will be largely outclassed by Salamence who can run the same exact set much better when he is released, at least until abilities are implemented.

Dragonite - Dragonite's infamous Dragon Dance set is made even more devastating in Pixelmon since he's basically impossible to wall. Let this thing get off a Dragon Dance and the only way you're stopping it is with a Choice Scarf Starmie or something. Let it get off 2 and it outspeeds and O-2HKOs the entire freaking metagame. The raw power of its Dragon Dance set is simply devastating. But that's not even the end of it. It also gets support options like Dragon Tail and Thunder Wave, and reliable recovery in Roost. If tiers were implemented in Pixelmon this would be the first thing I'd suspect test for Ubers.

Starmie - Starmie breaks away from his in-game status as one of the best Rapid Spinners in the game to become one of the best Choice item abusers in the Pixelmon metagame. With a huge array of coverage moves at his disposal (Hydro Pump, Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Psyshock, various Hidden Powers, Power Gem (lol), Shadow Ball, Grass Knot, Flash Cannon) this thing kicks ass as a Choice Scarf user, and with that amazing base 115 Speed he outspeeds virtually anything (including Dragonite at +1) with a Choice Scarf.

Gengar - Gengar's always been a menace, and while he's hurt by his lack of Levitate he's not useless, very, VERY far from useless. With flawless coverage in 2 moves (Shadow Ball + Focus Blast) he essentially has 2 free moveslots to do whatever the hell he wants with. In standard play his most viable set is SubDisable but I'm not sure if Disable works properly in Pixelmon. Even if it doesn't he can run Thunderbolt, Sludge Bomb, Hypnosis (note: Dream Eater is a BAD idea in any situation. All your opponent has to do is switch out and you're back to square 1.), and a number of more unorthadox options like Will-O-Wisp and Destiny Bond.

Set dump:

[center]Image
Dragonite @ Choice Band/Scarf (Leftovers when Choice items are fixed to lock you into 1 move)
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Roost

Starmie @ Choice Scarf / Specs (Scarf revengekills, Specs just hammers away at your opponent's team but can't revengekill things like DD boosted Dragonite)
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
-Hydro Pump / Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Psyshock

Gengar @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Atk, 4 HP
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt / Will-O-Wisp
-Substitute / Will-O-Wisp[/center]
By Some Body
#110748 Good to see someone else here actually knows something about the metagame. Just some minor things to point out though.
Generation_X wrote:Lapras's 130/80/95 bulk leave him 2HKO'd by a LOT and with 85 Attack and 95 Special Attack he fails to get many KOs in return.

Lapras actually has 85 Special Attack, which leaves the situation even worse.

Generation_X wrote:Cloyster makes a better sweeper

Remember that Skill Link isn't in Pixelmon, and Cloyster also lacks Rock Blast as it's an egg move, which makes it much less potent than in the regular competitive environment as you have less coverage and have to rely on the weaker and less accurate Icicle Crash.

Generation_X wrote:Snorlax is actually a decent defensive pivot right now but that's simply because of a lack of sturdy Fighting types (the only things that really bother him are the Hitmon family and the odd nutjob who runs Primape)

Don't forget about Machamp. It lacks No Guard for DynamicPunch, but Cross Chop still exists.

Generation_X wrote:when Gengar gets his Levitate he will sit there and laugh at you [Snorlax] all day long.

Snorlax can still use Crunch once Levitate comes.

Generation_X wrote:Dragonite will be largely outclassed by Salamence who can run the same exact set much better when he is released

This is mostly true, but one thing that Salamence will lack that Dragonite gets is Outrage, due to the lack of tutor moves. At the moment, Outrage appears to be glitched and lasts 3-4 turns rather than 2-3 turns, which may be better or worse depending on the situation.

Generation_X wrote:It also gets support options like Dragon Tail and Thunder Wave, and reliable recovery in Roost.

Sadly, Dragon Tail isn't working correctly yet. Roost is a very difficult move for Dragonite to get in Pixelmon as it requires finding a wild Dragonite and getting lucky that it learns Roost. It's still technically legal, but many people will be unable to get that.

Generation_X wrote:Starmie breaks away from his in-game status as one of the best Rapid Spinners in the game

Stealth Rock actually does work correctly. To be fair, the only users of it right now are the mediocre Golem and Onix.

Generation_X wrote:With a huge array of coverage moves at his [Starmie's] disposal (Hydro Pump, Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Psyshock, various Hidden Powers, Power Gem (lol), Shadow Ball, Grass Knot, Flash Cannon)

Surf is unavailable until Pixelmon 3.0 and HMs come out. Starmie can't learn Shadow Ball. Grass Knot isn't implemented correctly and always has 60 power, making it pretty worthless.

Generation_X wrote:In standard play his [Gengar's] most viable set is SubDisable but I'm not sure if Disable works properly in Pixelmon.

Aside from the fact that Disable doesn't work yet in Pixelmon, it's an egg move and unobtainable for the moment.
JOIN THE TEAM