Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By sapphos
#119022 I've had a private BeastNode server set up for my daughter and her friends since last Summer from version 2.3 in 1.6.2 . We've never upgraded because she doesn't want to lose all the Pixelmon she set up there, however she also really wants to play the new version and I've thought about setting up a second server for her so she can at least access the newest version.

Does anyone know if it's possible to set up her MC profiles so that she can keep her old version running in one profile and if she wants to use the newest version in 1.6.x so she can do that. Otherwise do we need to wait until 1.7 comes out? I read about changing json files but it's too confusing and I can't put enough time if I screw everything up even with running backups. So she's been trying to patiently wait. If she didn't care about her old server we would just update everything.

TIA!

By IceMan8030
#119029 Sapphos,

Firstly I would suggest that if you decide to upgrade your daughters current server that you first make a back up copy as there have been a few Id changes since 2.3 and it is very possible she would loose some Pokemon and items due to this. Secondly it is possible and very easy to setup multiple profiles in minecraft using the new launcher system.

Multiple Profiles (Client Side)-
1- Move your current .minecraft out of the roaming folder and place it in a secure location so you can keep your current profile.
2- Run minecraft so that it installs a new .minecraft folder that has no forge files or mods.
3- Install the version of forge that is recommended for the version Pixelmon you are planning to install
4- Run minecraft so forge can install its files.
5- Paste the version of Pixelmon you want to play in the mods folder
6- Run minecraft again to install Pixelmon.
Now to setup profiles....
7- Close minecraft and re-open the launcher. at the top of the launcher you should see a profiles tab select that.
8- Copy you current profile so that it makes a "copy of profile" now go to the bottom left and select that profile in the drop down and select edit profile.
9- Rename the profile to say Pixelmon 2.3 for the old profile she was using.
10- Now select the tick box beside the file path so that you can edit the path to the old .minecraft folder you moved in step 1
11- Open the .minecraft folder you moved in step 1 and at the top in the folder path left click and then right click and select copy
12- Go back to you minecraft launch and select the path bar you romvoed the old folder path from and press "ctrl + v" to paste in you folder path to the old .minecraft.
13- Now you should be able to swap between profiles easily for each version of Pixelmon.

As far as having multiple version of a mod on a server you will either need to have a server for each version of Pixelmon or you will have to do some constantly change file names everytime you want to play a different version of pixelmon.

If you have any issues please let me know.

Thanks,

Ice
By sapphos
#119111 Thanks Ice -

so I ran into some problems today and now she's only go the newest version running. After four hours of trying to fix the constant crashes in 2.3 I had to stop. I can revisit it tomorrow but I have a question -

Is she guaranteed to lose all her Pokemon? She said one of the youtubers she follows initially lose all his but did something to get them all back. I would much rather upgrade her BN server and try to keep everything she's done than to pay for two servers (yea I'm that kind of mom who will do it though :)). So is there something I can do to pull in the old ones?
By sapphos
MrMasochism wrote:the save location changed on servers between versions 2 and 2.5. To keep your pokemon you just have to copy the old folder into the new folder's location

So I need to copy the old *save* folder? And that's it? You would totally make my life easier and make her happy all in one piece if that's all I have to do!
By MrMasochism
#119141 My memory is a little hazy but in older servers the main save folder didn't contain the pokemon folder inside it. The pokemon folder was stored in a different saves/world folder or something like that. You just need to copy the old pokemon folder into the new world's saves folder and you'll be fine. Always keep a backup
By Isi
#119152 In the base of the Minecraft directory (1.6.2), Pokemon were stored in a 'pokemon' folder. In later version we switched to storing inside the world map folder. So, all you've have to do is create a pokemon folder in the map that you use, and place the pokemon files into that folder.

Ex. .minecraft/worldname/pokemon
By TheNew4
IceMan8030 wrote:
TheNew4 wrote:This guy is a spammer ^ And advertises different website in his "signature".

Thanks for letting us know I have removed their message and will keep an eye on them

No problem IceMan, glad I helped :D
JOIN THE TEAM