Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By Fantazzini
#120749 Hello,

I was about to assemble a pokemon themed modpack and wanted to include your mod, then I come here, I join, I read the ToS ( as I always do with anything ) and I read that private and public distribution of your mod (pixelmon) is forbidden.

For me that is totally understandable, you probably put half of your freetime if not all into making this mod, the models, the textures, the forum, the support, ecc ecc and I know bandwidth expenses are high.

What I don't understand is how a server can claim they can use a private modpack linked in the tecniklauncher because "nobody told them they cannot" and because the authors of the launcher "do not take responsibility for copyright infringment through private modpacks" :evil:

I don't like to be a snitch, but also I don't like that people do no want to "give back" supporting your project by downloading from your adfly link. My users ( my friends ) will always download and install your mod manually.
But still most players will go to "the other one" because they have a launcher where they can install their modpacks in 2 clicks.

Spoiler:
I do only no-profit, premium only, servers, being that I have a job and I play mc for the fun of it

By AnDwHaT5
Fantazzini wrote:Hello,

I was about to assemble a pokemon themed modpack and wanted to include your mod, then I come here, I join, I read the ToS ( as I always do with anything ) and I read that private and public distribution of your mod (pixelmon) is forbidden.

For me that is totally understandable, you probably put half of your freetime if not all into making this mod, the models, the textures, the forum, the support, ecc ecc and I know bandwidth expenses are high.

What I don't understand is how a server can claim they can use a private modpack linked in the tecniklauncher because "nobody told them they cannot" and because the authors of the launcher "do not take responsibility for copyright infringment through private modpacks" :evil:

I don't like to be a snitch, but also I don't like that people do no want to "give back" supporting your project by downloading from your adfly link. My users ( my friends ) will always download and install your mod manually.
But still most players will go to "the other one" because they have a launcher where they can install their modpacks in 2 clicks.

Spoiler:
I do only no-profit, premium only, servers, being that I have a job and I play mc for the fun of it

The second this mod is posted anywhere on the internet it is considered "public", "private" is when it never ever ever leaves your pc. As for people using direct download links we are aware and we do our best to prevent this. And finaly by server owners giving out the link to the modpack from the technic site they are infringing the terms of service because that is considered still distribution. It is the equivilent of giving out the direct download link and is also forbidden. They can claim its a private modpack all they want. Its on the internet. (Also they agree to the terms when they either A: Get a forums account. B:Obtain the modification.)
By sephkurai
#121002 Sorry, but no a private pack does not mean it is only on your PC and no where else. A private pack is a pack that is secured to a specific "group" of people. It's not a modpack if it's not combined in a shareable version, it's simply mods on your computer.

A private pack must: be secure and inaccessible to the public who have not been given permission. (example: a private modpack that is only used for a particular server that requires membership)
A public pack is one that anyone can be freely download and use anywhere without any permission or membership.

That doesn't make it any more right or wrong, but don't mislead people into wrong terminology.
By IceMan8030
#121026 We don't mislead anyone with the wrong terminology. The definition of private is "belonging to or for the use of one particular person or group of people only" "not known by the public or by other people". Pixelmon has always used the word private in this meaning "belonging to or for the use of one particular person" and has always stated that.
JOIN THE TEAM