Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By AxeGarian
Heimdall » July 3rd, 2014, 10:29 am wrote:Minecraft is very cpu intensive and not gfx card intensive and very poorly optimized. Minecraft only uses one core of a processor for various reasons and optifine does help spread the load and you may very well see an improvement.

So bottom line is in umodded minecraft its not the amount of cores its the speed of the processor and how much ram you can throw at it that matters.

If you have the ram add more in the launcher profile by changing JVM arguments to -Xmx2G (that being the amount of GB of ram java can use) and use optifine if you are still struggling as I said above this spreads the load of the processor about.

Never heard of Optifine... interested in info on that.

Never heard of JVM Arguments either... where are they & how do I change them? My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Many thanks for the info again! :) I can't make any sense outta why anyone would ever make a game that can't use more than one Core... Multi-Core Processors aren't just a fad & I bet they're only gonna get more Multi-Core in the future. Also, I would think Single Core Processors would already be outright extinct, so it's inane to use those as the target type of CPU to Code a Game around... Multi-Core Use & Optimization should be priorities in game development. The game needs to run effectively to be enjoyed. :/

(Note: My Computer has 4GB of RAM)

By Heimdall
#129911 To change the amount of ram start the launcher and then click on edit profile in the bottom left had corner this will enter the profile editor. At the bottom the last checkbox will be JVM Arguments, check this box then add -Xmx2G in the text field to the right (don't miss the "-" before the Xmx2G). Once done click save profile and voila you will use more mem for that profile, note for that profile only.

I personally don't use optifine but you can read about it and get it here.

With regards to the core usage as far as I understand it when Minecraft was first written Java didn't have full support for multi cores and even now it a bit of a bitch to program for.

Hope this sorts your problems for you.

H.
By AxeGarian
Heimdall » July 3rd, 2014, 11:04 pm wrote:To change the amount of ram start the launcher and then click on edit profile in the bottom left had corner this will enter the profile editor. At the bottom the last checkbox will be JVM Arguments, check this box then add -Xmx2G in the text field to the right (don't miss the "-" before the Xmx2G). Once done click save profile and voila you will use more mem for that profile, note for that profile only.

I personally don't use optifine but you can read about it and get it here.

With regards to the core usage as far as I understand it when Minecraft was first written Java didn't have full support for multi cores and even now it a bit of a bitch to program for.

Hope this sorts your problems for you.

H.

Thanks a bunch for the help! ^_^
JOIN THE TEAM