Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By MaximusLi
#136063 Ohh, I see. Thank you for this information. I made my world in 3.2, so this would mean the ocean bed was my safest bet of finding fossils, right?

By TheGoldenSnake
MaximusLi » 24 Aug 2014 11:48 wrote:I think I may have to agree here that the fossils are too rare... This may not interest anyone, but how about having a "fossil dungeon" located randomly in the world? In it you would find a random fossil every time? It would really sit well with the theme of Minecraft that has Temples and Abandoned mineshafts where you're bound to find certain things like gold ingots and diamonds. Just a thought. :)

I truly like that idea but maybe have it be like a dungeon filled with trainers who get higher levels as you progress through and at the end you find 3 fossils depending on the biome your in like under water you would get kabuto lileep and omastar.
By JamieS1211
TheGoldenSnake » 24 Aug 2014 20:20 wrote:
MaximusLi » 24 Aug 2014 11:48 wrote:I think I may have to agree here that the fossils are too rare... This may not interest anyone, but how about having a "fossil dungeon" located randomly in the world? In it you would find a random fossil every time? It would really sit well with the theme of Minecraft that has Temples and Abandoned mineshafts where you're bound to find certain things like gold ingots and diamonds. Just a thought. :)

I truly like that idea but maybe have it be like a dungeon filled with trainers who get higher levels as you progress through and at the end you find 3 fossils depending on the biome your in like under water you would get kabuto lileep and omastar.

Sounds like hard work to me!
By MrMasochism
#136089 The odds are decent that there will be one fossil per chunk (over the depth range of 20-50) which isn't high but it isn't impossible either
By MaximusLi
TheGoldenSnake » 24 Aug 2014 22:20 wrote:

That sounds like a very good idea. It would be cool to have a sort of "boss" there. Maybe that would double as a guaranteed spawn for a boss Pokemon if your idea is too difficult?

JamieS1211 » 24 Aug 2014 22:41 wrote:Sounds like hard work to me!

Do you think my idea be too difficult to implement as well? I understand what you mean, though.

MrMasochism » 24 Aug 2014 23:23 wrote:The odds are decent that there will be one fossil per chunk (over the depth range of 20-50) which isn't high but it isn't impossible either

Thank you for that bit of information. Since a chunk is 16x16 and 256 depth (lol got that directly from the wiki), and the rate is calculated for each chunk individually (if there's gravel; does any type of gravel formation count?) at depths 20-50, it should be quite probable that if going from one chunk to the next, and if they had gravel, you would eventually run into a fossil. If it's not too much to ask, what are these decent odds in finding a fossil? I understand if you don't want to share that info, though. :)
By MrMasochism
#136096 very much depends on the amount of gravel in a chunk however in a newly generated world without exploration there were around 100 fossils generated
By MaximusLi
MrMasochism » 25 Aug 2014 01:08 wrote:very much depends on the amount of gravel in a chunk however in a newly generated world without exploration there were around 100 fossils generated

Thank you again for the detailed information. I am a bit confused though, so is that for the area of your render distance alone (which would be anywhere from 2 to 16 chunks)? If so, the odds are indeed decent (or maybe even better than decent), as you said, since it would mean that if it were 16 chunks, theoretically there would be over 2 fossils per chunk. The only real challenge would then come from locating the gravel where the fossils are located in.

Almost makes me want to try out a mod with a quarry, along with Pixelmon. :D
By MrMasochism
#136102 It's not quite render distance alone as the numbers get skewed by the generation of dungeons and mineshafts
By MaximusLi
MrMasochism » 25 Aug 2014 01:22 wrote:It's not quite render distance alone as the numbers get skewed by the generation of dungeons and mineshafts

I see. So I was close but no cigar. :D

Thank you for this information. I feel like I understand things a bit better now.

One last question, if I may: Can fossils spawn in mineshafts, or are mineshafts only reserved for vanilla stuff? I never really got an answer to this. :)
By MrMasochism
#136108 They can spawn in any gravel between 20-50 and occasionally slightly below or above those
JOIN THE TEAM