Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By SilentBane
#146822 On behalf of the players/server owners, I request an explanation for what seems to be a blatant disregard for the Minecraft EULA. The EULA clearly states,

"Any tools you write for the Game from scratch belong to you. . Modifications to the Game ("Mods") (including pre-run Mods and in-memory Mods) and plugins
for the Game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, as long as you don‘t sell them for money / try to make money from them.
We have the final say on what constitutes a tool/mod/plugin and what doesn‘t." A full
copy of the EULA can be found here:

https://account.mojang.com/documents/minecraft_eula.

Now, I am not suggesting that you take down your adf.ly links. Infact I whole heartedly believe that you deserve to be paid for your hard work. But by tying the hands of server owners and forcing players to use your links you are in direct violation. This is not me trying to start a bunch of drama infact if there is a section that I should have put this in where only the owners of Pixelmon and I can talk about this please
let me know and I would be glad to delete this post and move it there. I would just like the ability to place this mod on the a launceher and not be in violation of your rules. I implore of the players who read this not to pile on because these mod creators have enough to worry about and don't need 20 people screaming at them. I am just asking how you are within legal rights to deny access of your mod to launchers.

For more information I will leave you with a link from reddit featuring a twitter conversation between Mark_IRC and other modded content creators. I would like to alsotake the time to thank you all for your hard work on this mod it is enjoyed by many people in the community I only ask that you loosen your rules to make yourself more
compliant with the Minecraft EULA.

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/co ... odders_to/

By JeanMarc
#146824 As said in the comments in that very same reddit thread, there's a difference between making money and covering hosting costs. They need money to keep the pixelmon website alive along with a few other things, it's their way to cover those costs, nothing more. I personally also don't like the fact that they don't let people use the mod for modpacks outside of the pixelmon launcher, but they've got costs to cover.
By SilentBane
#146825 The costs of running Pixelmon is no more than any other mod, having a website is a voluntary action. To put the mod up for download costs a grand total of $0.00. Now, that being said as a modpack creator I can understand the frustration that comes along with not making money off of your hard labor, but when its a labor of love I don't know that money matters.
By MrMasochism
#146827 The crazy thing is that a huge number of mods have the same clauses in them and yet they also all get put in launchers that don't care a second about the tos they are breaking. Mojang allows us to put any terms and conditions we want on the mod. Money isn't even a major reason why we want people visiting this site...
There are dozens of good reasons why a mod maker would want you to get the mod from their site, not least of which is to allow a decent channel for support and updates along with giving people information to get further along with the mod via wiki and other posts but for some reason you are ignoring all of those

What I don't understand is why don't other launchers do what ours does and have a way to honour both modpack makers and the mod makers by giving a simple system to visit a site to download a mod. It is dead easy to add in and doesn't inconvenience the end user or make the system less usable
By SilentBane
#146829 I understand where you are coming from why not just let the launcher to put a link to your site and to your wiki on the page when they select the launcher? I use the launcher because it is a quick and efficient way to switch between modpacks. and I don't personally have to download each modpack that way. I do see where your coming from but at the end of the day the easiest way to use a launcher is to just click on it and let it do the work for you. So if we added links to our launcher redirecting them to your site for the wiki etc. Would there be a problem putting pixelmon on our launcher? At the end of the day its about ease of access the more access someone has the more likely they are to use something.
By MrMasochism
#146831 If you modified your launcher to make it so for every non-compliant mod (and trust me ours is not the only one) it gives you a way to go to that site to download it then we'd be completely happy with it.

I'd reckon <1% of people will follow those links you'd put there otherwise
By SilentBane
#146832 Right, I know that your mod isn't the only non compliant mod but what I also know is that just because 1 person isn't non compliant doesn't make it ok for the rest of the world to be non compliant. By forcing them to download from your site that doesn't fix your non compliance. I am just asking you to loosen your TOS to make yourself more compliant, I can tell you that I visit your wiki 10+ times a day while I am in-game playing your mod. So visiting your site is never a problem for me. With auto downloading the mod we can ensure that the player gets the version we are using along with pixelmon utilities. Without the hassle of trying to do it all on their own.
By MrMasochism
#146833 Try using our launcher and see how difficult it is. I was hoping to set a blueprint in that for other people to look at and realise there was another way which didn't trample all over the people who'd spent hundreds if not thousands of hours working on a mod
By SilentBane
#146834 I have tried your launcher and have actually suggest other people do the same, the problem I had was no matter how many times I tried I couldn't get anything to drag and drop. I followed the instructional video too but didn't have any luck. I do like the idea of your launcher but it only works for mod creators and does nothing for modpack developers who spend just as much time putting together everything and putting together every little bit of progression because mod creators write in there TOS that making money off of their mod is strictly prohibited so mod creators expect modpack developers to follow their TOS.
By Isi
#146835 Stop trying to use Reddit and Twitter as a source for your drama mongering. Already banned you for that.

Are we within our rights to use Adfly? Yes.
Are we within our rights to restricted or direct our distribrution as we see fit? Yes.
Are we within our rights to enforce that? Yes.
Do we have the right to form a ToS/ToU/EULA as an extension of Mojangs? Yes.

For the second time, don't bring this drama here. Reddit opinions, or your own interpretation of the EULA isn't something we care for here.
JOIN THE TEAM