Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By SilencerNate
#150926 Funding isn't a problem. A server hosting for beastnode (my old host) gave 2GB for $20/month, which is a trip I don't take to the movies, hardly worth mentioning.
Vanilla Pixelcraft would be the goal, although I would like to decrease the spawn rate for legendaries to 1-2 per 24 hour period, and change the EXP earned to about 10-20% of what it is now. Its simply too quick to level. As long as those are available options, I don't see the need for any mods.

By SilencerNate
#151302 So clearly after looking thru all 345 server listings, and not finding a single server that fits what I am looking for, I have no choice but to host my own.
I've already started much of the setup, and have decided on a couple side mods that will be added. I've paid for the server host, and the server is running for the most part.

However, there's a few things I want to do before I open it up to the public or start recruiting (although already have 7 players that have given interest).

I searched thru wiki/index.php?title=Config for all the settings, but I am unable to find any way to change the EXP multiplier. When I was searching for servers, I found a server that had doubled EXP, and many servers have EXP weekends as well.

How can these settings be changed?
By SilencerNate
#151360 For a server that would have 25 whitelisted players, (so figure 15 everyday online, or about 10 online at peak times)...

Would 6GB cut it for Pixelmon? I am keenly familiar with vanilla servers, and realize they require far less, but the last mistake I want to make is setup a server and get everything running smoothly, then lag kicks in from pinching pennies. I'm not looking to use very many mods besides Pixelmon or course, Pixelextras, BiomesAplenty, Safeplace, Spawn of Psyduck. Of those, none should be particularly demanding.
I have considered something to make sure death allows you to keep items but haven't decided if I want to remove that just yet or not. I'm not a fan of people killing themselves "for a free teleport to spawn."

Also, any other tips regarding running a modded server, especially from people who have done or do it currently. I've strictly used Beastnode, which only offers Multicraft for its admin, but I know there are other systems, like Fragnet uses McMyAdmin, and TCAdmin was another. Purely cosmetic and GUI different, or something else I should consider?
By JamieS1211
#151390 Yuck multicraft. You should have just got your own hardware and then you don't have to pay rent or get donations at all.
By JamieS1211
#151574 For the most part peoples internet is enough to sustain 15+ people at a time and most people have old hardware capable of similar if they are being sustainable. Personally I have run servers for years and have only rented on one occasion when my server was experiencing peaks of 35 players. Then I rented a dedicated server (cheaper then the purpose made hosts) and had full access to everything. I guess depending on your skill set in linux this would come off differently. However I got a buddy who knew linux to help me set up my first MC server on linux and learned the rest as I went along. Anyway with my internet package I currently use being just fine for running the server the only charge per month I pay extra because of my server is the power consumption. It allows me to not need donations.
By urbymine
#151575 I would like to ask you where you draw the line. As in what do you find acceptable/tolerable in terms of donations and what not. right now i'm part of a rebuild of alpinemcpm, a server that was quite popular during the early 2014 era, and we decided to take all the interesting elements we found unique to our server and put them in a whole new and better region.
we always had a dislike for p2w donations, however that very philosophy became fatal for our old server so we're most likely going to look into the donation philosphy of :purely cosmetics and "you pay for non-refundable or profitable services" that would otherwise cost a in-game currency so you don't have to grind the money.so no rarecandies/masterballs for money.
so it becomes more a pay to get there faster than others, which is fair if you think about how much effort a staff has to put in it's server for the enjoyment of others.
By SilencerNate
#151609 Black and white with no grey is how I see things. I understand not everyone feels that way, and I'm not saying that other servers should run like this. The great thing about Minecraft is if you don't like how something is operated, you can just do it yourself. (applies with life as well)

Someone that runs a server is doing a service, and while they might have to spend more time maintaining and generating content, they get satisfaction (paid) from the comments and compliments of those playing on the server.

That said, since there doesn't seem to be a non-cracked server out there running a server like this, where a donation gets you nothing at all in game except the satisfaction that you've helped keep the server afloat, I'm just going to run my own. As stated before, I'm just getting collecting information and will post an opening in the server forums once its ready. It should be within a week from now. Donations won't be necessary or asked for. I'll just have to skip starbucks a couple days, which will make my doctor happy.
JOIN THE TEAM