Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By RuddyTempest
#155399 I was wondering, (and like last time I have searched for an answer throughout the forums), as to why you guys decided it would be better to update Pixelmon to 1.8. I do recall when you guys were updating from 1.6.4 that you said it would be to difficult to update both versions simultaneously, but this is kind of different. 1.7.10 holds a smorgasbord of mods that have been deemed too difficult to update to 1.8, and so, with Pixelmon 1.8, many players are forced to choose between other mods or older versions of Pixelmon. I myself as a mapmaker find it a little peeving, and although I do respect your decision, I do ask that you reconsider. I'm not sure how much support I'll receive of this view, but from what I've seen, a continuation of 1.7.10 versions would provide a much more stable environment, with more variety in modpacks than 1.8 can provide.

Thanks for reading, I can't wait for the impending earful of "things I should have known already", which in reality I probably deserve.

RuddyTempest

By MoeBoy76
#155401 Too difficult to update? No, many modders are either lazy (eg PixelUtilities hasn't been updated apart from the ported stuff) or don't want to change rendering to use .json files, both cases are dumb

If you want mods to update then you must pester those devs to actually update, this is a continual issue every major update, if even a few mods say they won't update (usually large ones) then it drags the entire community down (eg people are still playing 1.6.4)

And then you went and said it, the 'M' word, personally i would be overjoyed if launchers like technic and voidswrath simply died and never updated anymore (FTB is okay cos they actually care and have good content), mostly cos i don't like their lack of respect to mod authors that don't want their mods to be downloaded anywhere but from them. The main reason for this is if players download from the author then they will know where to post bugs/issues so that the author (or mod team) can fix those bugs for everyone

TL;DR
3.4.0 is the final 1.7.10, mods should update to 1.8 and i don't like modpacks
By RuddyTempest
#155402 I suppose that's a fine assessment. As for "too difficult" I suppose I only really had one mod in mind, carpenters blocks, which were the very words of the Dev. As for modpacks, I suppose I was using the wrong term. If using your definition, then I would agree, modpacks are terrible. What I was referring to was what I think you guys refer to as "pixpacks"? Thanks
By SPG
#155403 ya its pixpacks. Also if the creator of carpenters blocks said porting to 1.8 was hard, they are either incompetent or lazy. if this was 2 years ago when everyone had to make their mode smp compatible for 1.2.5 then yes it would be hard...but no, we have passed that point a long time ago. Give it time they'll eventually be forced to update because other big mods will end up doing it too, imo once sponge is stable and has decent number of good plugins supporting it everyone will start pushing for 1.8
By MrMasochism
#155408 the 1.8 port was time consuming but not difficult. By now especially there will be heaps of tutorials on how to get the obvious stuff going (and that will be enough for 99% of the mods out there anyway). If a mod author is really struggling with it and they are attempting something difficult tell them to contact me
By Kryyss
#155551 It does seem that the updates for 1.8 are taking their time. The Shaders mod is still tinkering with 1.8 and that is holding a ton of the community back due to how widely they are used and the same can be said for many of the popular mods as well. It strikes me as being odd that the PXMN devs have dropped 1.7 off by the side of the road and left the bulk of the community there as well.
By SPG
Kryyss wrote:It does seem that the updates for 1.8 are taking their time. The Shaders mod is still tinkering with 1.8 and that is holding a ton of the community back due to how widely they are used and the same can be said for many of the popular mods as well. It strikes me as being odd that the PXMN devs have dropped 1.7 off by the side of the road and left the bulk of the community there as well.

i dont see how thats odd by any stretch of the imagination, just because everyone else is dragging their feet doesnt mean we have to also
By MrMasochism
#155575 If no big mods do what we do then no one moves forward. There are enough improvements in minecraft 1.8 to make it an extremely worthwhile thing for us to do as for all other mods. Tbh the biggest thing holding people back right now is server frameworks but considering you're technically breaking the law if you are running a cauldron server we don't feel that's a fair reason to hold back. Us moving to 1.8 allows sponge to have a good mod to work with to iron out issues and get them going as fast as possible. We don't have a big enough dev team to support multiple versions easily so this is how we are going about it
JOIN THE TEAM