Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By Kryyss
#155548 This is something I've wondered, especially as people have taken to making maps which go back to the original spawning mechanics like the actual PKMN games. Now I fully understand that PXMN and PKMN are two very different beasts. PXMN is trying to put a little bit of PKMN into Minecraft, but why did they do that rather than having a bit of Minecraft brought into PKMN?

It actually seems easier, given the large memory requirements of having open world PXMN spawns, to only trigger spawns from specific Long Grass when a player walks through it. And yet, after many updates and patches, PXMN still doesn't allow for this method of spawning.

What was the reasoning behind that decision?
I'm not saying its wrong, it's just kind of odd from my perspective.

By Kryyss
#155558 Ahh, since it doesn't appear in creative mode I had no idea this even existed. A real shame that it is still biome restricted though and it scales the mobs to the range of the persons party rather than being a fixed range. I also notice that it uses the PXMN spawning lists for the biome, does this mean that if you disable all normal spawning the grass won't work either?

I've set up a design which allows me to use the PXMN Spawner to produce a fixed group of spawns in a grass area that is 7x7, that got me thinking why this wasn't supported normally.

It looks like there would be much that could be done with that pre-existing mob grass. For starters we know that PKMN has progressed into having spawn blocks other than Grass. They've had Seaweed for some time and more recently they added Deep Sand and Flowers. The trouble is ease of use. Needing to configure the spawns for each Grass block would be a pain, so the solution would be to have a config file that contains groups of spawn data with a label.

ie. SND001
Day:
Sandshrew 100
Arbok 100
Night:
Golbat 100
Shuppet 100

The map designer could then drop the block and set it to SND001 thereby saving a ton of time. But anyway, getting off topic. Answer is, it's supported but under-developed. Thanks for the prompt reply.
By MoeBoy76
#155571 Yes it is, i am terrible at ideas and up until now nobody has suggested anything useful that i find could be made possible, i will look into modifying the spawning mechanism to work that way, as well as making some new block types in future
That said, there are limitations set by Minecraft that are difficult to bypass
By MrMasochism
#155572 The reason pixelmon went that way is that it always annoyed me in the pokemon games that you could never see the pokemon out in the world, it was always such an artificial mechanic. To me part of the fun of a universe like pokemon is seeing them in the wild and watching them interact with each other
By Kryyss
#155579 I'm surprised everyone here asks for such insanely complex things. Usually you poor mod developers are overwhelmed by maddeningly simple and trivial ideas from fans lol

Since this is something you intend to look at, here are some details on how I set up the classical spawning system. Firstly here is a short gif showing how it works.

You will notice that the 7x7 area doesn't produce a PXMN every time you walk through it. This is due to your mods PXMN spawner's 'land' setting only looking for bare grass blocks. Anything with long grass or other decorative non-solid blocks is treated as invalid to spawn on. This has some advantages and some disadvantages.

The first advantage is each 7x7 patch can be designed with a fixed spawn chance based upon the number of tall grass blocks covering the area. In this set up, the chance of a successful spawn is 26%.

The workings are under the top layer and are very simple. There is the CustomNPC redstone block which is set to produce a redstone signal if anyone moves within a 3x3 block radius and then stop producing the signal when someone moves outside of that range. These can be configured to only work at day or night, which is why you see two spawners and two detectors. The PXMN spawners are set to only spawn within a 2x2 radius, only allow a maximum of 1 PXMN, only trigger on a redstone signal and spawn on 'Land'. I tried setting it to air, but flying PXMN basically take off straight into the sky and never come down. Quite amusing but not very helpful. Finally, the mobs are set to Aggressive. This way they instantly spawn and engage the player in battle, in the video I was in creative mode because the distance they spawn from the player means that the battle starts almost instantly and you'd not see the Raichu appear.

Ideally what is needed is a self-contained PXMN spawner that can simply be placed under any surface. This would mean you can ditch the Pokegrass entirely and allow players to put these wherever they want. It needs all of the functionality of the existing PXMN Spawner but with a seperate Day/Night list and the ability to only spawn when a player moves within a certain distance.
By Kryyss
The reason pixelmon went that way is that it always annoyed me in the pokemon games that you could never see the pokemon out in the world, it was always such an artificial mechanic. To me part of the fun of a universe like pokemon is seeing them in the wild and watching them interact with each other

There was a fascinating video on youtube from ExtraCredits which looked at the reason why the Western and Eastern RPG games ended up being so different. Most of it was actually down to cultural reasons but when you think about it, the differences actually made a ton of sense once you understand the minds of the people behind it.

Since you grew up in a Western culture you require a sense of logic behind what you consider acceptable. The idea of walking across an empty area and then suddenly being thrown into a battle, as is common in the JRPG, doesn't make sense to you. But in previous eastern culture this was acceptable because they are less concerned with the 'why' and more accepting of the unexpected.

Look at the early Anime as an example. Most of it doesn't actually go into much detail explaining why something is happening. The ever-famous Akira is a fine example of not-explaining-everything fiction which the Eastern culture is used to, but western audiences may sit down with that movie and dislike it because there is never any clear reason 'why' any of this is happening. Tetsu gains abilities inexplicably, loses control and turns into a blob monster. It seems kinda random but the underlying principle behind the movie was entrenched in the Eastern idea of Chi. The concept that Chi defines a persons ability to control their surroundings and themselves and the question was raised during the movie - What if an Amoeba had the power/chi of a human, would it have the ability to use or even control that? Tetsuo became the human equivalent of the Amoeba. But the movie never really explained how or why it happened. Yet it is still a great film due to the story and characterisation.

Pokemon is like Akira, but at least it gives you some reasonable justification as to why creatures only appear in the grass. But many westerners would be struggling to understand how an Onix could hide in a couple square feet of grass :) For me, I just accept that and enjoy the game - but I fully understand your irritation with the mechanic.
By SPG
Kryyss wrote:Since you grew up in a Western culture you require a sense of logic behind what you consider acceptable.

actaully...no mr.m grew up in the east being how he's from new zealand
By Kryyss
#155585 LOL I said a Western culture. Australia and NZ are very much westernized due to how they were colonized. But yeah, I see your point. There is plenty of western attitudes in the eastern territories. I use the terminology for a lack of better phrasing.
By SPG
Kryyss wrote:LOL I said a Western culture. Australia and NZ are very much westernized due to how they were colonized. But yeah, I see your point. There is plenty of western attitudes in the eastern territories. I use the terminology for a lack of better phrasing.

oh i know, i just wanted to be a smart ass contributing nothing to the conversation what so ever (even though I easily could typing on a cell phone is just a pain in the neck)
JOIN THE TEAM