Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By dungeonlord
#157341 my specs on the pc running the server are

xubuntu 14.04.2lts
amd athlon II x2 250u
2x1gb wintec ampx ram
foxconn a74ml-k mobo
750gb wd black
his radeon 4670 1gb
openjdk-7-jre version 7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.04.2
java -Xms1G -Xmx1G -jar minecraft_server.jar is used to launch the server.

now the problem i'm having is with the ranch block. as soon as i place it down i assume it needs more resources than my pathetic cpu can give it so i start getting disconnected(i'm the only 1 thats currently using it doing tests). i can log in and the world seems like its gonna load then .25 seconds of pkmn sounds then silence for about 10seconds then it kicks me out again. every other machine i've tried so far (healer, pc, trader) work fine and dont cause any issues. so my question is are there any other blocks that are going to cause this issue?

i would like to upgrade my cpu and ram so does pixelmon/forge/minecraft prefer more cores or higher clock speed and with ram higher speed or lower latency?

By MrMasochism
#157344 RAM is likely to be your issue more than anything. minecraft likes to consume vast quantities of it and due to the inefficiencies of the java garbage collector it's really slow to let stuff go that should be. allocating at least 2 gb to the server itself is probably necessary to get decent performance
By dungeonlord
#157345 i thought so too, but so far the most its used is ~170mb out of the 1gb i allocated to it. i think the biggest drawback is the cpu which it keeps 1 core at 75% and the other maxed at all times. i have monitored temps and it peaks at 22C after 1/2 hour of use
By dungeonlord
#157406 thank you for the hardware info.

so do any other blocks cause excessive cpu usage? i need to know if i need to ban any more blocks like the ranch block in order to keep my server functioning until i have a chance to upgrade it.
By MrMasochism
#157476 I'm guessing anything that does decent chunk checking, redstone itself might cause you some issues but the ranch does the most checks of any of our blocks
JOIN THE TEAM