Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By Trikitiger
#159124 To start off, sorry if this isn't in the right category. I wasn't sure if this would be an off-topic thing or not. It is a topic on servers, but I'm not advertising a server; which is what the server category is for.

I'm getting back into my Pokemon fix, and starting to be a little more active on servers again (frequenting a server is a good thing, I used to poke my head in and never come back). I've started looking for a server that I could get into. But I'm both ashamed to ask due to the high standards I'm looking for, yet I'm curious to know if something similar to what I'm looking for is around.

White-listing is fine with me, I'll apply and everything; I'm a very honest and sensible person, which makes it easy to join a server... I know that sounds like gloating, but in general, the rule is "don't be a dick", and I've never acted like one on a server, nor have I lied to get into one. Seriously, if griefing ticks you off, it ticks me off, so I don't do it. If the server's Public, that's fine too, but I stay quiet in large crowds, and don't care for constant socializing.

The server needs to have something other than the Pixelmon mod... I don't mean Pixelmon plus 100 other different mods, but something to keep me playing past the basic game. Pixelmon is a great mod, but every time I play it, I grab a couple Pokemon, make a decent team, feel satisfied, then never play it again for months. -Maybe it needs a challenge? Puzzles?- PVP is helpful to keep everything going (I mean, a social scene always makes things last longer), but when it comes to PVP, I start going into min-maxing, and that's not fun. I did that with the PokemonMMO (that uses FireRed) and I got frustrated because it became a chore to min-max all the time. I guess, if there is a PVP scene, it's not heavily structured towards making the best Pokemon, but rather, just casually playing.

Basically, it needs something to keep me coming back daily (if not daily due to real life, close to daily). The server I've been frequenting has daily quests. Even though I can't progress any further (due to luck or lack of currency), the dailies help me progress superficially. By which I mean, I gain things like server experience (which does nothing), currency for long-term goals, or little presents. But events are not enough, there needs to be a bit of an "adventure" to it. Basically mimicking the original games (getting X badges, completing the elite 4, that sort of stuff), but not something that's impossible to implement. What I mean is, I highly doubt someone took the time to place and customize the exact trainers needed to replicate the Kanto region; for example.

It shouldn't focus on the Minecraft aspect. The problem I have with the Pixelmon Mod, is that I'm doing 90% Mining, and 10% running around finding Pokemon and training; half the time, just finding a Pokecenter and using it as a base. This presents a problem for me in that I'm doing all the background work (building a town, creating a base, gathering supplies etc.) and not enjoying the mod (the Pokemon). And although the main focus would be the Pokemon, some of the Minecraft aspects should be present, such as building. Yeah, I just said that doing so takes away from the mod, but being able to do that on your own -not-ruining-the-official-pokemon-region- plot gives it a bit of a personal touch.

It seems pretty simple, but most of the servers that I've looked at all have just the base mod. And the ones that have an official region map don't have any information on them: ""Official Pokemon Region!" And?". Or at least, those are the servers that I've found. I know that a lot of you are going to be mad and say "Just look for yourself you lazy bum (they're in the server listings you idiot)", but with every server touting they're the best, and seeing everyone's opinion on it ("I love it" - Why?) doesn't help on my decision to pick one ^^;; . What got me into the server I've been frequenting, was that I watched videos on it and went "OMG, that looks like a ton of fun, I should go and join!" and even then, I had to watch a good number of videos from various different people to get that impression. Because at first, the server looked like an over-hyped social gathering where you couldn't do anything but fart around and play VERY BASIC mini-games.

If you're reading this paragraph (last or first), you're probably thinking to yourself: "What a stupid question". Well, I'm pretty stupid in that case then, aren't I? I just don't want to get into a server only to pop out in a week; it emphasizes an A.D.D. kinda attitude, and it bothers me when I stop working on something. That includes getting a game (or joining a server), and putting it down, only to never touch it again for months.

I'll keep on looking my self, but to put it simply, help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

By urbymine
#159141 hello there.

well let me start out by saying that i like your constructed approach on finding a server, you seem paranoid on human bots trying to sell out their server so i'l cut straight to the facts of what the server i am part of has to offer.

before you continue reading i need to warn you that our server is a work in progress, it is still under construction and development. this means you will have to be patient to join in the case that this server appeals to you.
alright, let's get to the points.
- we are a relaunch from our old server that lasted from jan 2013 until april 2014 until technical issues became fatal to our server.(our current staff has the experience from the old server , and our tech guy has become a lot more skilled)
-the staff building it is a collection of old staff and veterans that are motivated to keep the spirit of our old server going.
-we are (for now )exclusively an adventure server, this means no mining, or building.
-we have a prebuild region with many differently themed city's
-almost every house in the region is for sale, you can purchase a house and decorate it to your liking trough our real estate system using furniture you buy around the region.
-we have player gymleaders and elite4 (but the gyms themselves are monitored by the staff), the upside is that players put up much more a challenge then bots, the downside if you will sometimes have to wait for them to get online at the right time.
-we have a player created guild system, you can basically apply for become a guild leader yourself if you have the money for a base(that you can build yourself) and the influence and respect to recruit,that is if the server isn't over saturated by guilds.
a guild can pretty much try to do anything on the server as long as they respect our rules.
or you can just join one and partake in the guildwar events and quests.
-we're planning on adding different hard-difficulty dungeons that contain parkour, puzzle elements and others. as well as a whole layer of lore and story to our server along with story related quests or treasure hunts. the story will develop further as the server progresses(rewards from hard dungeons include things like money or fossil pokemon, due to our adventure server these pokemon are a rarity to obtain.
-other then that, we will include some minigames such as electrodeball, quizzing and staff ran safari zone

the only things i notice that contradicts your standards is that our server empathizes on socializing trough guilds and bonding with players, this is not strictly necessary but in my personal opinion helped myself to log on the next day to prove to my friends that i can become the strongest trainer,
and that the server doesn't allow you to build, survival aspect won't be there for a while but it is your server to judge.
By urbymine
#159178 well as i said, it is still under construction , there are a few picture leaks on our planet mincraft and we have our forum. but other then that you will have to be patiënt on seeing the whole thing.
By EconBrony
#159199 You have a pretty tough dilemma there. Many servers seem to offer the mainly Pixelmon experience. You can battle at gyms and play in tournaments. In the case of the server I run, I offer a server running a large mod pack. Moving to my server you move heavier towards the Minecraft experience since I've added a lot to give it more of an adventure/technology theme to it along with Pixelmon. On the down side, we do not have gyms and tournaments are a ways down the road.

I saw the strong calling for a Tech Mod Pack combined with Pixelmon so thats why I gave it a shot to see what kind of a reception I'd get, either way everyone has gave it a try likes it. Doing a little searching you may find more servers running the pack I designed outside of my server too :D
JOIN THE TEAM