Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By DiscoverNewWorlds
#163094 As stated above in the real world there is competition everywhere. Apple makes computers that cost outrageous amounts of money for the same hardware that other companies offer. Software aside how do they sell a computer for $2000 USD which only cost $1000 USD from another company that installs windows on the computer. People hate on apple but who has the say that says apple can not operate as a company. No one. This forum thread is getting a bunch of people that do not like servers that are just trying to succeed. As stated if they offered something people hated then no one would player. Clearly most do quite well.

We live in a time when everything is now now now. If now now now happens for a bit of money then it will work. If a kid cant pay his way to the top he might just leave and find a server that he can. So half of the problem is the players. Do not blame it on the server owners. They are just following requests of players.

By JeanMarc1
#163096 The thing is you're assuming that servers that offer pay to win are the only ones that people are looking for, and people are willing to put money into. This thread already showed pretty clearly that the playerbase is looking for those kinds of servers, as this thread has been one of the most active ones for the past month. One of the issues I think people are having is finding donation rewards that aren't giving an advantage, which doesn't help. Visibility shouldn't be an issue, as the pixelmon devs clearly said in the thread that they're more than willing to put servers that are good quality and aren't pay to win.

That brings another point, quality. The thing is that IMO, there's very little that makes a server very different from another right now. You look at the top servers, the first 2-3 pages on the pixelmon forums, gameplay wise, they're very similar and the thing that sets them apart from eachother is the donation shops. I've seen some high quality server where people donated $100 for barely anything in return, kits that were worth less than what you could obtain in 10 minutes of game time, and nothing pokemon wise. Yet a lot of those people were more than glad to donate for that server (and hearing from some players, hadn't donated to a lot of servers before or since) because of the work and quality that was put into the server. That's probably the hardest part to make a server that isn't pay to win that people would be willing to donate for, it's making something worth supporting.
By urbymine
#163099 believe it or not, some people who have posted on this forum are part of a p2w regime esq. server so not everyone here is interested in what is discussed here.
aside from that , i have browsed MANY servers from different sources and among every 10 i found, maybe,MAYBE 1 server did not have a store where more effort was put in then the entire rest of their server. i'm willing to believe there are servers out there that match my criteria, and i'm willing to believe there are players like me, lot's even, but i don't see them other than here, perhaps lot's of them are on these servers? could be... that seems believable..
By JeanMarc1
#163125 Yeah, I also noticed that there's quite a few people who aren't for the idea in here, and I noticed that most of them owned a server that was pay to win.

I personally started working on my own server because I couldn't find what I was looking for in the current servers. I don't even know how popular the server will be because the last time I've seen a server that was similar concept-wise, most of its success came from the popularity of the youtubers that ran the server. Sadly no clue if/how it's going to pick up, and how popular it'll be, but we're getting close to a year of work to get that server ready.
By RemusSargin
#163128 Exactly Jean....I didn't want to outright say it, but YouTuber servers, while by no means all "bad," are an example of servers with a huge advantage over other new servers. Because YouTubers have some sort of audience, they get free advertising, are more noticed, and have a higher chance of becoming popular, or at least sustainable. As I said, I have nothing against YouTubers in this regard. In my opinion, let them be. However, it must be recognized that not all servers start on a level playing field. While some servers, like Alpine MCPM, were able to rise from obscurity to popularity without a YouTuber as an owner, we had several YouTubers who played on our server, which increased our popularity. Servers are complex issues, as I have previously stated, and in the end, nothing is going to completely "fair." However, I for one am trying to level the playing field a bit, just enough to help new servers gain at least some recognition.

Thanks,
Remus
JOIN THE TEAM