Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By zombiiebreath
#173321 I'm rather disappointed on how this mod developed.

I am no means a modeler I mostly texture(also worked on some indie games) and do some light modeling on the side,but how the new models look and feel is horrible to me.They are no means horrible models but how they fit and work in the world of minecraft just feels out of place.

I do like the low poly models like what milktank uses but the smooth models like what Staravia uses just seems out of place.Even in game going up to the model and watching the animations looks like it belongs in the handheld version of Pokemon not in MineCraft.

This is my own personal opinion,I do hope in the final stages of the mod that there could be a 3rd party mod that replaces models.

By JamieS1211
#173324 There are 3 types of model.

Tehcne (example being abra line as of now). All models are made out of many over lapping cuboids and they look horrible.

OBJ (example being milktank). Models are made and exported as OBJ files. Each body part is a separate mesh and animated by rotating and translating the mesh object.

SMD (example being Staravia). Models are made as OBJ files. Models are then rigged with a skeleton and weight painted. The skeleton is then animated and deforms the model. This is then exported to a file for the model and rig and then a file for each set of keyframes, all the the .smd extension.

SMD models by default have smooth shading enabled. If you go to the pixelmon options and disable smooth shading these SMD models will not have smooth normals and will show up very similar to how the OBJ models look however their animations will be notably better. You can also make a resource pack that replaces the models and textures. Using resource packs you won't be able to change the model type for a pokemon as that is hard coded and you won't be able to change the techne models. You will however be able to add new textures to all pokemon, add new OBJ files for all OBJ type pokemon and new SMD files for all SMD pokemon. There is a resource pack called bloxelmon that will turn a few pokemon into looking like very old school models however they are in fact SMD models.
JOIN THE TEAM