Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By ToejaM
#184039 Hey folks, I'm setting up a private server for myself and my son and maybe a few friends. I've no intention of it going public but I have a few questions!

After jumping on a few of the populated servers, I've noticed there are some starting villages, are these done by a mod or created by the server admins?

Are there any randomly made villages that I may find and make a starting village?

Could you suggest some mods that I should use server side?

As someone completely new to Minecraft, could you suggest some other server mods I may find useful?

I've run servers in the past, I have the Pixelmon server up and running as is but it is very bare, now I don't want to cheat the experience I just don't have a huge amount of time to design an entire village and I'd like to just keep this as a thing for myself and my son + a few select friends! I also would like to start as Gen1 then move on, which is a major reason for not playing on the other servers :-)

Any settings I should change to make it a bit more fun for a lower count of people?

Thanks in advance :-)

By Crysileus
#184043 I can try to help. Part 1
Question One: I'm afraid I don't know..
Question Two: You could use a Minecraft Village or find a Pixelmon Center and make a small village connecting to that.
Question Three: I would suggest some of the side mods like: PixelAnnouncer, Pixelmon Extras, and Trainer Commands.
By Crysileus
#184044 Part 2
Question Four: I don't really know many mods that are just Server side but, If you want to add a couple more regular mods I suggest Tinker's Construct and Pam's HarvestCraft.
Question Five: I suggest make Shinies ans Legendaries a bit less rare.
That is all I can think of. I hope I helped.
By Rasgnarok
#184049 Okay, unsure what to say.
This, 'As someone completely new to Minecraft,' doesn't fit with this, 'I've run servers in the past'.
If you need help, I'd suggest coming into our Discord, much easier to interact with you.
By ToejaM
#184068 Thanks for the replies people I appreciate it! I will check out some of those mods probably tonight!

When you say "Pixelmon Center" does that mean they spawn randomly then?

When I say "I've run servers before" - I mean servers like: Arma 2 (DayZ mods) and Arma 3 (Many mods) for the more complex, learning some of the scripting as I went along. It seems editing the starting pokemon is relatively easy for example, making sure there is no comma at the end of the list.. as is editing the rest of the configs. I had a look through before coming here to ask to see if there was a simple "create starting village" config option.

I know of Minecraft, I've never played it beyond a quick run around on the pocket edition which I bought along with a copy for my son for some general messing around as my son is crazy for it and I'm a massive gamer, always have been but never an interest in building things, even in DayZ (Epoch) I wasnt a fan of base building, I'm more about the PvP in most games but I love the idea of playing a Pokemon game with my boy, where we can run around and capture rare Pokemon, he's been loving Pokemon GO, we go out all the time and when he gets a new one its like christmas everyday! This game has that PvP aspect to it, albeit a bit more friendly of course!

I figured there might be an option for on or off for the starting village, the whole point of "Minecraft" is the craft part.. so part of me thought it would be off by default with servers and groups of people creating their town center as it were being almost a rite of passage... I'm waffling I know but honestly, thats where my thought process with it all was lol

Ultimately, I'm trying to create a little server for us, with ZERO risk of the server going bankrupt and disappearing, I know nothing of the Pixelmon servers in the list so I dont know how long it would last, it would crush my boy if he lost all his hard work capturing Pixelmons :)

I'll pop on Discord later and ask some questions :-)
By MoeBoy76
#184071 What i have done for our official servers is simply run /struc towncenter1, moving away and then /struc townmart1 and voila! You now have a pokecenter and a pokemart

If you have a spare PC or a decent laptop you can simply run the server on your network (i'm sure you know this already), if you just want survival then you just need the forge installer, Pixelmon and any side-mods. The side-mods i advise using are PixelExtras (lots of util commands, check the wiki) and ItemFinder (puts useful items as loot). For some added fun you could add WonderTrade to swap some Pixelmon for random ones and using the Biomes o' Plenty (BoP) mod and Spawn of Psyduck to have lots of biome variation (currently not a great idea as i'm rewriting it and fixing it since it's list currently uses 1.7.10 BoP biomes so ice types spawn in forests, etc)
By ToejaM
#184092 Awesome thanks for the above!

I have the server running PixelExtras, TrainerCommands and PixelAnnouncer.

Messing around a little I have quite a few more questions:

1) How do I prevent my boy from destroying/modifying certain things, like the pokecenter/mart/other designated areas?
2) How do I change the spawn point? I also noticed that some servers are using /spawn to return to the main 'village', how do I do that?
3) How I change the starting item/loadout?
4) Is there a way to slow down food consumption?
5) I downloaded a minimap (xaeros) but I cant appear to get it working by just dragging it into the mods folder.
6) Is there a way to setup an ingame "group system" so that I can see a 'friend' name either on the map or through walls.. I feel my son will get lost a lot and I'd like to simplify this without reverting to admin commands if possible!
7) I noticed a chest in the med center for the pokemon, is that a global inventory or specific per player?
8) I just found a village that has NPCs in, will they stay in the village or will they wander off? Originally I did the /struc commands but it didnt spawn any NPCs, I wasnt happy with the location anyway so I remade the world and wandered off a little and found a nice little village which we can improve on as a side project :-)

I really appreciate all the help so far! I've seen there is a wiki, which I'm trawling through!
By MoeBoy76
#184094 Okay, so you want some extra server configuration, head over to https://docs.spongepowered.org to read up on setting up a SpongeForge server, you will want to check out GriefPrevention, PermissionsEX and nucleus on their forums
JOIN THE TEAM