Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By Forestspirit13
#78937 I'd like to start out by saying I have never run a server before, not even a standard MC server so any and all help is appreciated . For a quick overview as to what I need help on is in red text, some anyone can help with, and some only experienced people can.

I also need server name ideas. It's a basic request but here is some info that might help in the thinking process- The overall feel of the server is this: Survival, Gym Leaders planned for the future, ways to protect your things/land, non-PvP, donation system with a wide range of prices so all can enjoy a chance for something if they would like to, basic common curtsy rules so that players don't feel bullied by others, and Helpful staff (Picked by my own personal trust towards them, their experience, how well they get along with others, general obedience to the server rules).

I would love to set up a Pixelmon server, but hardly know where to start. I'd love to have some host suggestions, or at least an idea as to what I should look for when searching for a host. For the time being I'd like for it to be a small server with a decent amount of RAM and the option to add other plugins to it. I don't know what type of host I should look for. I've seen posts that say you can't do it with a Bukkit server, or at least you can't right now, and that it must be a forge server. I'm not sure how true this is so I need some direction on that subject.

Donation plug-in, preferable compatable with Enjin.com's website I have experience with enjin's websites and would like to stick with them if possible, but I need to know what plug-ins are available with their site, as well as with the server.

Other Plug-in Ideas. I would like for it to be very basic without much interference on the player's game play. Like I mentioned earlier I'd like for players to have a way to protect their items (so chests, furnaces,etc) as well as their land, but I don't want it to limit their chances of playing with real life friends, this means they must have a way to add other players to these protections. And AdminShop/player shop of some kind would be awesome, but not totally needed. I'm open to other ideas that might help and keep the feel of the server be similar to Single player.

By Tom_X
#78983 Well, I'll try to give you a hand, but I don't promise anything. First off, the name should be something personal, some caracteristic thing from your server that distinguishes it from the rest of the servers; so don't use a basic, "Pixelmon awesome server!!!"-like name or you won't end up well, and if you're running it with some friends, let them choose what do you all have in common and throw out ideas.
Second of all, you'll need to be more accurate over how many people are you planning to take on the server, wether or not you want it to be 24/7, how much are you willing to pay, etc. I don't know any good hosts, but maybe some people do, or a simple google search can do it for you.
For the donation plug-in, I don't know of any that are trustable, so maybe a good option can be to just link a donation adf.ly link to a paypal account and make them enter their username and the perk or item they want, I once had been in a server that used that system with Enjin and it worked pretty well, and since it's a direct link to a donation paypal you won't have the typical "the plugin failed I sent the money but it wasnt registered- I had just donated and the server closed/restarted so it wasn't taken into account but my money is gone and I want it back " etc.
And for the last, if you're looking for a protection plug-in, Lockette is the best one I know, lets you put a sign with the whitelisted usernames in furnaces-chests-doors-etc and works pretty well, and I'm not sure about the shop plug-in, I'll let someone with more experience answer that.
I hope that helped at least a bit!
By Haydz
Forestspirit13 wrote:I'd like to start out by saying I have never run a server before, not even a standard MC server so any and all help is appreciated . For a quick overview as to what I need help on is in red text, some anyone can help with, and some only experienced people can.

I also need server name ideas. It's a basic request but here is some info that might help in the thinking process- The overall feel of the server is this: Survival, Gym Leaders planned for the future, ways to protect your things/land, non-PvP, donation system with a wide range of prices so all can enjoy a chance for something if they would like to, basic common curtsy rules so that players don't feel bullied by others, and Helpful staff (Picked by my own personal trust towards them, their experience, how well they get along with others, general obedience to the server rules).

I would love to set up a Pixelmon server, but hardly know where to start. I'd love to have some host suggestions, or at least an idea as to what I should look for when searching for a host. For the time being I'd like for it to be a small server with a decent amount of RAM and the option to add other plugins to it. I don't know what type of host I should look for. I've seen posts that say you can't do it with a Bukkit server, or at least you can't right now, and that it must be a forge server. I'm not sure how true this is so I need some direction on that subject.

Donation plug-in, preferable compatable with Enjin.com's website I have experience with enjin's websites and would like to stick with them if possible, but I need to know what plug-ins are available with their site, as well as with the server.

Other Plug-in Ideas. I would like for it to be very basic without much interference on the player's game play. Like I mentioned earlier I'd like for players to have a way to protect their items (so chests, furnaces,etc) as well as their land, but I don't want it to limit their chances of playing with real life friends, this means they must have a way to add other players to these protections. And AdminShop/player shop of some kind would be awesome, but not totally needed. I'm open to other ideas that might help and keep the feel of the server be similar to Single player.

I have found its always best to create the server that YOU would like to play on, Because of you enjoy playing on the server it most likely that others will as well. Another hard part for you will be getting people to join the server. You either need something amazing or different that people want to check out, Or a really good method of advertising.

On the hosting note, I own a dedicated server company. So if you havn;t found a host yet you could check out http://haydzsolutions.com/
JOIN THE TEAM