Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By cquade
#7270 Just wondering if Gengar spawns normally and in what biome since I really only play single player.

By Leqesai
#7450 Does Gengar evolve naturally from Haunter or is there some sort of special trick you need to do in order to force an evolution?

If I remember right Gengar was one of those pokemon you could only evolve through trading.
By MrMasochism
#7582 The pokemon games thought it fine that you couldn't and I'm not sure we will go against that
By Leqesai
MrMasochism wrote:The pokemon games thought it fine that you couldn't and I'm not sure we will go against that

While I can respect the choice to follow the model of the games I think it should be noted that the reason players had to trade pokemon for certain evolutions was to promote the buying/selling of cartridges and not for balance/fairness to the player.

Being that you guys are working from the ground up on your own version of pokemon (there are unavoidable differences and concessions to the original model that must be made simply because the game format is so different) you're in the position where you can do cool things like make it possible to evolve trade-only pokemon.
By lakeyja900
#7591 I'm fine with trading for gengar, if you want it so much, get a friend to visit, get him on a LAN server, trade pokemon, trade back, and then you'll have a gengar on a single player server.
By Leqesai
lakeyja900 wrote:I'm fine with trading for gengar, if you want it so much, get a friend to visit, get him on a LAN server, trade pokemon, trade back, and then you'll have a gengar on a single player server.

But what would someone do if they were unable to play multiplayer?

Don't get me wrong. I respect wanting to maintain the continuity and integrity of the original games but if we're already making concessions to the minecraft platform (all pokemon are available to everyone instead of the red/blue specific pokemon that you had to trade for in the original games) it would be nice to see the forced trade mechanic reworked into something that could feasibly open up the game for more exploration to those who do not (or cannot) play multiplayer.

Heck, the item or method to evolve these pets doesn't have to be easy. They don't have to have simple level-up evolutions (What if there were a "Trade Stone" that was either a super rare drop off boss mobs or crafted with super rare materials (say... a Nether Star...)). Furthermore these pets could still be evolved via trade so those with access to multiplayer would be able to evolve them much more easily than those forced to do so via rare single player drops.
JOIN THE TEAM