Forum rules: Do not post bugs or feature requests here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker and suggestions to Suggest a Feature.

This site is not for solicitation of services or 'purchasing' development. Please do not post requesting side mods/plugins and so on. Your thread will be removed, and you will receive a warning.
By leela286
#86992 Some of the models in the most recent update are just wrong in that they are round. Magikarp, Gastly, HAunter, Aron, Psyduck, Miltank, Voltorb, and Electrode are all too rounded, to name a few. The thing with minecraft is that it is squarish. Rounding the forms just defeats the purpose. In any case, why did magikarp and psyduck get changed? i thought they were just fine. Im willing to overlook the instances where the resolution is too fine, but they really shouldnt put round things in minecraft. They just look out of place. Plus its not to make it look exactly like pokemon, it's to put pokemon into minecraft and keep it plausible.

By SPG
#86994 woah, i didnt know you were the lead of development and head of modeling to determinate our goals of our models and hte point of our mods.
By Tom_X
#87052 Uh, I thought we had already talked this off a couple months ago...
Minecraft, although squarish, doesn't have a "purpose" more than to be enjoyable. Thus, I don't consider making rounder models "defeating the purpose of MC" as we're not the first to introduce spheres into it, and we certainly won't be the last. Also, each model turns out exactly how the modeller wants it to be, and many Pokemon just look like rubbish when done squarish (refer to Pokemobs for quick examples). I believe models should look like the Pokemons as much as possible, as that's what the mod is all about: bringing Pokemon to Minecraft. And apart from all of that, telling modellers how to do their models just doesn't seem right, as they're the ones who make it and decide how will they turn out.
I also don't think anything can look more out of place than Pokemons in a world, since just the concept is ridiculous. If you were walking down the street, and saw a Venusaur, would it look less "plausible" if it was square-ish or round? No. You'd freak out anyways. And since Pokemon naturally look weird into the MC world, what can do a little bit of roundness? In my opinion, they look much better when rounder. It's really up to the modellers and Mr.M or anyone who approves the models. Besides, we have a poly-count limit (for blender & such) so models aren't "too round" and I think it's fine the way it is now.
By Trigore
Tom_X wrote:Uh, I thought we had already talked this off a couple months ago...
Minecraft, although squarish, doesn't have a "purpose" more than to be enjoyable. Thus, I don't consider making rounder models "defeating the purpose of MC" as we're not the first to introduce spheres into it, and we certainly won't be the last. Also, each model turns out exactly how the modeller wants it to be, and many Pokemon just look like rubbish when done squarish (refer to Pokemobs for quick examples). I believe models should look like the Pokemons as much as possible, as that's what the mod is all about: bringing Pokemon to Minecraft. And apart from all of that, telling modellers how to do their models just doesn't seem right, as they're the ones who make it and decide how will they turn out.
I also don't think anything can look more out of place than Pokemons in a world, since just the concept is ridiculous. If you were walking down the street, and saw a Venusaur, would it look less "plausible" if it was square-ish or round? No. You'd freak out anyways. And since Pokemon naturally look weird into the MC world, what can do a little bit of roundness? In my opinion, they look much better when rounder. It's really up to the modellers and Mr.M or anyone who approves the models. Besides, we have a poly-count limit (for blender & such) so models aren't "too round" and I think it's fine the way it is now.

Don't question the project manager.
By Animalol
Trigore wrote:
Tom_X wrote:Uh, I thought we had already talked this off a couple months ago...

Don't question the project manager.

Yeah, geez, Tom! Get with the program! We follow her orders now!
JOIN THE TEAM