Forum rules: This forum is for writing guides only. Do not post topics here to ask questions; post these questions in General Discussion or the Support Tracker.

Do not post bugs here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker
By enkilleridos
#94162 It's easier than you think.

First you want to download the H2 Database Engine here: http://www.h2database.com/html/main.html

For windows there is an installer, for other operating systems there is a .zip

Windows
Spoiler:
Run the installer
Go to Start_>All Programs->H2
Run the H2 Console.

Linux:
Spoiler:
Unzip the zip file anywhere in the file system you want. Make sure you can get to the path in the terminal.

goto h2/h2/bin in the file explorer.

right-click on the h2-1.3.173.jar file, give it permissions to run as an executable. (If you are doing this in the terminal chmod a+x h2-1.3.173.jar should give it permissions as well)

type java -jar h2-1.3.173.jar

Either way this opens the H2 console window in your default web browser.

Next go to the mods folder, and find the Pixelmon 2.5.7.zip.

RIght-Click select Extract Here or Extract to depending on how you unzip .zip files.

Then go back to the H2 Console in your web browser.

in the JDBC URl the box should say jdbc:h2:<path to>/.minecraft/mods/Pixelmon 2.5.7/pixelmon/database

Replace the <path to> with the location of the .minecraft/mods/Pixelmon 2.5.7/pixelmon/database folder. Or where ever you unzipped your Pixelmon zip. Because I am lazy I unpackaged it in the mods folder.

i.e. C:/<path to appData>, Roaming, .minecraft/mods/Pixelmon 2.5.7/pixelmon/database or home/<username>/.minecraft/mods/Pixelmon 2.5.7/pixelmon/database

username and password is blank.

You can now view Pixelmon's database, editing it requires you to know some commands and how to use the H2 Database Console. There is a cheat sheet and reference guide links in the side bar. At this link: http://www.h2database.com/html/main.html

After you are done editing, if the unpackaged folder is in the mods folder, put the .zip folder somewhere else just incase you mess up. Minecraft will run the unpackaged mod. So there is no need to repackage the file. If Minecraft doesn't run correctly rezip the assets and pixelmon folders in the Pixelmon 2.5.7 folder. Just because you can run it uncompressed doesn't mean you should. However, in terms of testing an unzipped folder will make testing changes a little quicker. IF you get fps issues (5 - 10 max) running pixelmon unzipped will increase to 15 -20+ fps. Make sure you have enough ram allocated to mine craft 2+ gigs should be fine (at 2 gigs there are some slight slow down issues with the options GUI). There are pros and cons, whatever you do is your choice.

Learn all you can. I am not responsible if you break something. This tutorial only showed you the tools, it is your responsibility to learn how to use them.

JOIN THE TEAM