Forum rules: This forum is for writing guides only. Do not post topics here to ask questions; post these questions in General Discussion or the Support Tracker.

Do not post bugs here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker
By NoParadox
#95011 Hello everybody, on the issue tracker/bug reports section of the forums, I constantly see questions about players crashing on first join of a server. This bug can be very frustrating as a good amount of the times, the players do not come back. Luckily there is an extremely simple fix to this issue. Almost every server that has this crashing issue is running the essentials packages. When a new player joins a server, essentials gives them a predefined kit which is defined in the following line
Spoiler:
# Do we want to give users anything on first join? Set to '' to disable
# This kit will be given regardless of cost, and permissions.
#kit: ''
kit: ''
As you can see in my configuration, I have no kit set. The issue (how I believe it happens) is when a new player joins, they don't actually enter the server yet, that's why if you go to spawn when a new player joins their entity isn't there. If they don't have an entity, they don't have an inventory so while they're sitting there on the GUI screen to pick their starter, essentials tries to give them a kit of items, yet they don't exist. So their client tries to store the items in their non-existant inventory and comes up with an error crashing them. That's the best explanation I have as to why this happens. The easiest fix is simply remove the starter kit, and provide it in a [kit] sign near where they spawn, to add sign kit permissions is simple you just have to add the node essentials.signs.use.* or if you only want to enable kits use essentials.signs.use.kit and enjoy never having another crash when joining your server again!

Server IP: Play.parapixelmon.com

By jeremy58589721
#95014 idk if this is possible but just make it for they get the kit when they press a button to "escape the spawn area" that way they cant go back and constantly press the button for free kits and they will get the kit 100% when they press the button to warp to the actual starting area. just a suggestion and like i said idk if its even possible
By NoParadox
jeremy58589721 wrote:idk if this is possible but just make it for they get the kit when they press a button to "escape the spawn area" that way they cant go back and constantly press the button for free kits and they will get the kit 100% when they press the button to warp to the actual starting area. just a suggestion and like i said idk if its even possible

When they click the kit sign, there's the usual delay on it. you can also use the plugin PhatLoots in order to make single use kits
JOIN THE TEAM