Forum rules: This forum is for writing guides only. Do not post topics here to ask questions; post these questions in General Discussion or the Support Tracker.

Do not post bugs here! Report bugs to our Issue Tracker
By gilbert12888
#103452 Pixelmon Modeling Tutorial
The Pixelmon modeling team has the ambitious task of modeling all 649 pokemon, which is impossible without the help of others. This tutorial should help anyone learn to model in a pixelmon-ish style.
I will be using this image for reference:
For this model I think that I will start with a cylinder.
I normally use an 8 sided cylinder for the bodies of pokemon:
I really don't know how many height segments I should use so I use the default 5. I like to work with editable poly's so I convert my cylinder to an editable poly. This allows me to edit vertices, edges, faces, etc.
First, I delete the end caps on the cylinder and turn it sideways. I then model the body by scaling, rotating and moving each segment of the cylinder, adding new segments when necessary. I only look in one direction for this step. Looking at the pictures, I constructed this outline of a Phanpy body.
Working from one angle simplifies the modeling procedure. Next I go vertex by vertex and adjust my model in the same view until I like the shape. After some adjusting and adding another segment, I end with thise outline:
You can see that the contours going left to right flow. There are no out of place vertices that I can see in the model.
This looks all and well from this view, but from other views it looks like an ant-eater.
At this point I delete half of the faces if the model is symmetrical. Since, in one axis, all of the vertices are in place, I only have to move them left and right to get the shape right. After some adjusting in this axis I end up with this model.
Now that the body shape is ready, I begin to work on the ears. I think that I will start with a cylinder again. This time I will use a cylinder with less faces, maybe 3 segments and 6 sides.
I do almost the same thing as I did with the body, but I now rotate the view around because the ears are not on either the x, y, or z axis. I first scale each of the segments along the x axis so that I get the shape in one view. I get this shape:
Next I will scale the segments in the other axis so I get a rough shape for the ears.
When I finish a part I like to attach it to the base object so that everything is one object. Im 3ds max this is the attach function.
I end with this model.
Next I will start on the legs, using the same process as the ears. I will use the same cylinder as the ears.
The finished legs:
Next I will model the extra bits like the red nose piece and the red ear pieces. For the red nose piece I will chamfer and extrude some of the nose geometry. I end with this model:
Now it is time for the red ear pieces. I think I will extrude some ear geometry for this piece. The defining feature of the ear pieces is the outline and that should be preserved. I end with this model:
Now I will make the mouth. I will chamfer the edges and extrude the faces back into the model. The mouth will be closed.
The final piece is the tip of the nose. I will simply bring all of the vertices to a point.
The last step is to get feedback from others by posting it in the respective feedback section on the forums.
After you stare at something long enough, it takes someone else to point out the issues for you to really see them.

I hope you found this tutorial useful.
-Gilbert

By lugiaisbeast101
#103771 Nice tutorial, that was pretty helpful for me actually, I never thought of starting out with a cylinder....now that i think about it....that could have made my life a lot easier for deoxys o.0

Ps I can't really tell what the mouth picture is showing, I'm possibly the only one that hasn't the faintest idea :D
By AZTERIX_
lugiaisbeast101 wrote:Nice tutorial, that was pretty helpful for me actually, I never thought of starting out with a cylinder....now that i think about it....that could have made my life a lot easier for deoxys o.0

Ps I can't really tell what the mouth picture is showing, I'm possibly the only one that hasn't the faintest idea :D

IDK about the mouth as well
By a3ro
#131649 Modeling question for you, Gilbert. Are you also assigning custom smoothing groups before you do the texturing? I'm a 3D modeler and have been for years. I Love pokemon, and would love to make some pixelmon. So guys, expect me to dish out a butt load of pokemon soon.
JOIN THE TEAM